TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 28, 2019 9:02 pm

Aldi is accepting credit cards now, and has been for over three years.

I stopped shopping at Aldi when I moved to Texas because getting out cash is a pain. Now I'm just going to not shop at Aldi because the closest store is in Pflugerville.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 01, 2019 5:23 am

A railroad employee named "Jack" had a flawless record as a signal operator, despite being a drunken monkey.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 14, 2019 6:11 am

The official city bird of Madison, Wisconsin, is the pink plastic lawn flamingo. This was inspired by a 1979 prank in which a thousand plastic flamingos appeared on the lawn of the University of Wisconsin.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 08, 2019 5:50 pm

Joe Hill was a Swedish-American labor-organizer and songwriter, executed for a murder he may or may not have committed, and immortalized in the folk song "Joe Hill." He wrote a pretty good poem as his epitaph, and his last words were "Fire. Go on and fire!"

However it's his last telegram I discovered today:
Joe Hill wrote:Could you arrange to have my body hauled to the state line to be buried? I don't want to be found dead in Utah.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Fri Aug 09, 2019 5:58 am

cmsellers wrote:Joe Hill was a Swedish-American labor-organizer and songwriter, executed for a murder he may or may not have committed, and immortalized in the folk song "Joe Hill." He wrote a pretty good poem as his epitaph, and his last words were "Fire. Go on and fire!"

However it's his last telegram I discovered today:
Joe Hill wrote:Could you arrange to have my body hauled to the state line to be buried? I don't want to be found dead in Utah.

I'll take this opportunity to state that I would not like to be found dead in Michigan. If anyone out there intends to murder me, please do me this one small favor!

Last edited by JamishT on Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Changed GIF hosting location, found another good GIF
JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Krashlia » Sun Aug 11, 2019 3:40 pm

CS Lewis didn't like kids, or dealing with them.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Aug 31, 2019 3:13 am

Thailand participated in WWI on the side of the Allies, and even sent an expeditionary force to France in order to prove to the Europeans that they had a modern army and a government committed to upholding international law. Things ... did not go great, with the French military advisors trying to order around the Thais, but Thailand later participated in the post-war occupation of the Rhineland.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Sep 05, 2019 4:21 am

In order to keep the US from passing a Chinese Exclusion Act for the Japanese, the Japanese and Teddy Roosevelt reached an agreement under which the Japanese wouldn't allow emigration to the US (except for family reunification) and in exchange, the US wouldn't restrict Japanese immigration officially, and would try to get states to treat the Japanese already there as people.

This agreement lasted under two decades before the US decided to ban all immigration from Asia.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:44 am

Emily Davidson was an eccentric English suffragette who hid overnight in a crypt at Westminster Palace to avoid being listed in the census. As a result, she was listed twice: once by her landlady, who said "yeah, she lives here," and once by the Clerk of Works as residing in the House of Commons.

She would routinely do things that got her arrested and sentenced, go on hunger strike, and get released, until she started setting fire to mailboxes, at which point they preemptively started force-feeding her.

Her last act was to jump onto a horse racing track and tried to grab the reigns of the king's horse, possibly with the goal of pinning a flag to it. Unfortunately a hundred pound woman is no match for a thousand pound animal moving 35 MPH, it knocked her over, and she died.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:50 pm

cmsellers wrote:Emily Davidson was an eccentric English suffragette who hid overnight in a crypt at Westminster Palace to avoid being listed in the census. As a result, she was listed twice: once by her landlady, who said "yeah, she lives here," and once by the Clerk of Works as residing in the House of Commons.

She would routinely do things that got her arrested and sentenced, go on hunger strike, and get released, until she started setting fire to mailboxes, at which point they preemptively started force-feeding her.

Her last act was to jump onto a horse racing track and tried to grab the reigns of the king's horse, possibly with the goal of pinning a flag to it. Unfortunately a hundred pound woman is no match for a thousand pound animal moving 35 MPH, it knocked her over, and she died.

So, basically, what they call a "Mad Lad".

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Twistappel » Sat Sep 14, 2019 5:38 pm

cmsellers wrote:Emily Davidson was an eccentric English suffragette who hid overnight in a crypt at Westminster Palace to avoid being listed in the census. As a result, she was listed twice: once by her landlady, who said "yeah, she lives here," and once by the Clerk of Works as residing in the House of Commons.

We learned a bit about her in Modern History class, but I probably would have paid a bit more attention if they'd mentioned that she went around hiding in crypts and setting fire to fucking mailboxes.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby gisambards » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:15 am

TIL the Bible has an explanation for rainbows. They're a promise from God that He won't kill all of us.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:28 am

I knew that from Sunday school. This is why y'all need Jesus.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:16 pm

gisambards wrote:TIL the Bible has an explanation for rainbows. They're a promise from God that He won't kill all of us.

Yeah, it's meant to represent the Noahic Covenant. That's why conservative Christians are so offended by the pride flag, because they view it as a twisting and corruption of a sacred promise from God.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Oct 09, 2019 9:27 pm

gisambards wrote:TIL the Bible has an explanation for rainbows. They're a promise from God that He won't kill all of us.

Well, a promise that he won't kill all of us specifically with a flood. Genesis 9:13-15:

"I have set my rainbow in the clouds, and it will be the sign of the covenant between me and the earth. Whenever I bring clouds over the earth and the rainbow appears in the clouds, I will remember my covenant between me and you and all living creatures of every kind. Never again will the waters become a flood to destroy all life."

Other methods are still on the table.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext