TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby Learned Nand » Wed Jan 03, 2018 12:31 am

JamishT wrote:
52xMax wrote:TIL Ben Shapiro is Mara Wilson's cousin.

I follow both on Twitter to contribute to maintaining a balanced feed. I can't imagine what family reunions are like for them though!

Basically the same as most Jews' thanksgiving dinners.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 03, 2018 9:07 pm

TIL that Cornell and colleges that had Domestic Economic classes essentially leased or bought "practice babies" from orphanages for the women to care for. To learn, "The Science of Motherhood."

http://abcnews.go.com/Health/practice-b ... d=12548705

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Krashlia » Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:41 am

aviel wrote:
JamishT wrote:
52xMax wrote:TIL Ben Shapiro is Mara Wilson's cousin.

I follow both on Twitter to contribute to maintaining a balanced feed. I can't imagine what family reunions are like for them though!

Basically the same as most Jews' thanksgiving dinners.

.... Loud and perhaps argumentative with a least a couple rumors about a fellow jewish neighbor which is followed by disapproval of the rumor mongering, but also some disappointment that one decided to air dirty laundery by taking it outside of community. Meanwhile some talk about work and life goes on with some geeky/nerdy male types interjecting, and fawning over the new kids, and some audible disappointment from a certain woman or two whose wondering why another younger person couldn't be "'Something else', 'like your cousin'" which is followed by a small outburst which is calmed by a couple of patriarchal figures, one of whom is rather laid back but the other only pretending to be so when the truth is that he's rather hen pecked and everybody already knows who wears the pants in his marriage? Followed by insistence that it was a good thanksgiving, in part because all the family was there, the next morning?

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jan 07, 2018 2:41 am

You know that episode of Gravity Falls where Dipper gets hat voice changing potion? Well, TIL that the Ghetto Black woman voice Stan ends up with at the end of the episode was voiced by Grey Griffin.
phpBB [video]

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:52 pm

Birds-of-paradise have feathers only .015% less black than the blackest material humans have ever managed to produce.

Below is a demonstration in which a normal black feather and a bird-of-paradise feather are sprinkled with gold dust.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby emm » Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:22 pm

My four-year-old can read the following letters: A, E, O, N, J, L, H, R and 'viking longboat'...

Of course I am an angel, the horns are just to keep the halo straight.
emm
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:50 pm

Josephy McCarthy, famous for his anti-communist witch hunts, may himself have won his first election (he ousted the incumbent in the primary with fewer than five thousand votes) with communist help.

According to Wikipedia:
Arnold Beichman later stated that McCarthy "was elected to his first term in the Senate with support from the Communist-controlled United Electrical, Radio and Machine Workers, CIO", which preferred McCarthy to the anti-communist Robert M. La Follette.[5]

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 pm

Turns out that one of my favorite Merle Haggard songs was written by ... Dolly Parton.

Merle's version

Dolly's version

Seems I should make more of an effort to get into her music.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm

When some shipwrecked Dutch people washed up on Korea, the Koreans loved the wooden shoes so much that they adopted them and made them their own.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:35 pm

cmsellers wrote:When some shipwrecked Dutch people washed up on Korea, the Koreans loved the wooden shoes so much that they adopted them and made them their own.

Cultural appropriation! :evil:

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Fri Jan 19, 2018 6:45 pm

Cary Grant was "rumored to be gay", on account of cohabiting with fellow actor Randolph Scott on and off for the span of 12 years.

And not that this diminishes his status as one of Hollywood's greatest leading men (it didn't for Rock Hudson), or that I'm judging for how he chose to live his life.

All I'm saying is some of the pictures from that period seem a bit suspicious.

Edit: link http://www.homohistory.com/2013/07/cary ... d.html?m=1

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Jan 19, 2018 11:35 pm

He also had relationships with a lot of women. His third wife, Betsy Drake had this to say when she was asked if Grant was gay: "I don’t know, we were always too busy fucking for me to ask." Of course he still could have been bisexual, as Drake herself noted.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Jan 20, 2018 7:51 am

Slugs, which are hermaphrodites, have their penises on the sides of their heads.

Slugs are literally dickheads.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jan 21, 2018 5:51 am

There's someone by the same name as my father who is even more ... eccentric ... than he is. And it's not like I have an at all common last name.

Unfortunately, I can't show y'all documentary evidence without revealing his—and by extension my—name.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:33 pm

TIL what happened to Simon de Montfort after his death. Montfort led the rebellion against the King of England, Henry III during the Second Baron's War. He was defeated in the Battle of Evesham and killed by a knight named Roger Mortimer. Afterwards, Montford was beheaded, his testicles were cut off and hung on either side of his nose. Mortimer then sent the head to his wife (Mortimer's, not Montfort's) as a trophy.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext