TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu May 04, 2017 2:14 pm

ghijkmnop wrote:Finally, the Internet has given me information I need: The titles of the ABC Movie of the Week that I watched in the early 70s. There were several that were quite memorable (Trilogy of Terror, for Example), but a couple of the minor ones stuck with me, and I could not remember the titles. Now that I know them, I can move on to the next one-time TV thing I watched 45 years ago that I can't seem to locate anywhere. :)

There are a couple of old cartoons we had taped off TV 20 years ago that I couldn't ever find the existence of previously. Your post reminded me to look them up again, and this time, I found them!

There's "The Teddy Bears' Picnic" and "Mr. Rossi's Dreams".

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri May 05, 2017 1:51 am

TIL that Back-End Admin is not a nerdy way of saying one is gay.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri May 05, 2017 3:32 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:TIL that Back-End Admin is not a nerdy way of saying one is gay.

The phrase you're looking for is is "back-end aficionado." But that doesn't mean one is gay either.

After all, to paraphrase Sir Mix-a-lot

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby 52xMax » Fri May 05, 2017 3:43 am

IamNotCreepy wrote:There are a couple of old cartoons we had taped off TV 20 years ago that I couldn't ever find the existence of previously. Your post reminded me to look them up again, and this time, I found them!

There's "The Teddy Bears' Picnic" and "Mr. Rossi's Dreams".

This just made me go to the google machine and give it a last try to finding a very obscure cartoon from the 80s I had been unsuccessfully trying to find for years and which no one else seemed to remember IRL or even in cartoon specialized forums.

All I remembered was the tune of the intro and that the cartoon was about a group of dragon apprentices to a sorcerer, and that they lived in some sort of magical forest, hiding from some evil dude. Whenever I talked to people my age who had a similar experience to mine and even watched the same other shows, they either told me it sounded vaguely familiar, but they'd think I was talking about the Gummi bears, or the Dungeons and Dragons cartoon (which was my first and only experiencie with the world of D&D until that awful, awful movie came out) or some other thing, suggesting I might have been misremembering and/or mixing up separate things, like the Smurfs and Winnie the Pooh, or something. I was almost convinced this was the case sometimes, but then I'd start humming the tune and bits and pieces of my memory convinced me I wasn't deluded.

This is hardly the first time I become obsessed with some trivial thing from my childhood, but usually after extensive sessions of web-browsing (with constant deviations which usually took even longer) I'd find what I was looking for. This one cartoon I've been trying to pinpoint for years without getting any closer, and I usually end up watching hours of theme songs and intros on youtube. So I promised I wouldn't do that this time, as I've been with busy recently and can't afford to waste time like this. It was also going to be the (allegedly) the very last time I went on this particular goose chase, as I'd already covered most of the ground on previous efforts.

And what do you know? I refined some search terms, and reminded a crucial detail I had missed before. Long story not that short: I finally fucking found it.

Turns out, only one of the creatures was a dragon (the 3 others were "monsters") and there was also a runaway human prince who was the main character. Curiously enough, this was a co-production of Marvel and Disney, all the way back to 1984. I didn't remember the good wizard being black either, but that's neither here nor there.

The funny thing is, the theme song, which is the reason I wouldn't give up on my quest? Yeah... I remember it differently. I guess now I have to find out what that song on my mind is from.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby NotCIAAgent » Mon May 08, 2017 10:02 pm

China is the most progressive country in the planet. It was a law that ethnic minorities should get lighter punishments for the same crimes as the Han, the majority, would receive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liangshaoyikuan

Liangshaoyikuan (Chinese: 兩少一寬), literally "two fewers, one leniency", was a Chinese government policy of giving leniency in charges and sentences with regard to minorities as compared to Han for the same criminal offenses.[1] The policy was enacted in 1984 by Peng Zhen and Hu Yaobang. On July 9, 2010, a statement jointly published by the Publicity Department of the Communist Party of China, State Ethnic Affairs Commission, and United Front Work Department suggested that "everyone should be equal before the law, and criminals should be punished regardless of their ethnicity". However, they do not have the legal authority to challenge a policy implemented by the Central Committee of the Communist Party of China, a higher authority; the policy has thus never been officially repealed.

NotCIAAgent
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Shitposter Extraordinaire

Postby Marcuse » Mon May 08, 2017 11:06 pm

I know you're being ironic, but China is pretty aggressive about its expansion, populating areas with enough Han Chinese to out compete the local ethnicity, and ignoring that things like Tibet exist at all.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Tue May 23, 2017 2:01 am

I always knew that "In the Hall of the Mountain King" has actual words, but TIL that they are:

Slay him! The Christian man's son has seduced
the fairest maid of the Mountain King!
Slay him!
Slay him!
May I hack him on the fingers?
May I tug him by the hair?
Hu, hey, let me bite him in the haunches!
Shall he be boiled into broth and bree to me
Shall he roast on a spit or be browned in a stewpan?
Ice to your blood, friends!

Which is more disturbing than I expected. Oddly enough, I have read Peer Gynt and really should have been able to put two and two together.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby cmsellers » Sat May 27, 2017 5:23 am

Google Maps makes it look like the National Parks Service considers a seventies sitcom character on par with the father of the country.

TIL.png
I mean, sure George Jefferson broke ground, but...
TIL.png (378.95 KiB) Viewed 5071 times

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Windy » Sat May 27, 2017 9:41 am

Marcuse wrote:I know you're being ironic, but China is pretty aggressive about its expansion, populating areas with enough Han Chinese to out compete the local ethnicity, and ignoring that things like Tibet exist at all.

Flooding a country with foreigners to outcompete the locals? Sounds pretty progressive to me.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Sat May 27, 2017 5:55 pm

TIL most of Wodehouse isn't public domain https://spontaneousderivation.com/2008/ ... erg-texts/ immediately making me never want to buy one. Thank god the impulse buys from a few weeks ago were second-hand. I am not a fan of companies collecting money from me for their "right" to a 42 years-dead man's work.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby cmsellers » Sat May 27, 2017 6:01 pm

Windy wrote:Flooding a country with foreigners to outcompete the locals? Sounds pretty progressive to me.

And to be fair, the original progressives were some of the stanchest proponents of populating Indian Country with white people.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue May 30, 2017 1:53 am

One of my favorite Supreme Court Justices was married to the niece of one of my favorite composers.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:56 pm

TIL that Nick Offerman actually has a professional woodshop. And in case that's already old news for you, I also learned there's going to be a competitive crafting show hosted by Offerman and Poehler.
“People who make things are my favorite kind of folk,” said Offerman in a statement. “Practical, clever and terrific in a pinch. That makes me tickled pink to have a front row seat at this prodigious display of talent, and admiring and cheering on an amazing crop of American makers. Plus, Amy and I have a strong tradition of tomfoolery so let’s see if we don’t have some good fun.”

That's just... so wholesome and adorable.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby gisambards » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:20 pm

TIL that Edwin Armstrong, the inventor of FM radio, killed himself as a result of the stress and financial damage done by a lawsuit brought about by David Sarnoff, who owned the patent for AM radio.

Sarnoff made a habit of this sort of thing, and also similarly ruined the life of Philo Farnsworth, who - while technically not the inventor of television - was the one who made it viable as a widespread entertainment system. Farnsworth died poor and in obscurity, and for a long time Sarnoff and his company's lead engineer, Vladimir Zworykin, were instead considered the fathers of television.

gisambards
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:46 pm

TIL that there is a parody twitter account called Gollum J. Trump. I'm dying. :lol:

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

PreviousNext