TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby Absentia » Fri Feb 16, 2018 10:56 pm

Is that better or worse than Arizona replacing a World War I hero with Barry Goldwater?

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sat Feb 17, 2018 12:37 am

Marcuse wrote:My kid got those recently. He got a minion inside as the toy. I don't know why they're banned in the US

Because kids in the US eat tide pods, that's why.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:27 pm

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby LaoWai » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:34 pm

Well, you can't comb a cow's hairy balls without getting a cow-lick, that's for sure. Cows are notoriously flirtatious.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Feb 20, 2018 11:04 pm

From: http://www.mind.uci.edu/research-studies/90plus-study/

Researchers from The 90+ Study have published many scientific papers in premier journals. Some of the major findings are:

People who drank moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee lived longer than those who abstained.
People who were overweight in their 70s lived longer than normal or underweight people did.
Over 40% of people aged 90 and older suffer from dementia while almost 80% are disabled. Both are more common in women than men.
About half of people with dementia over age 90 do not have sufficient neuropathology in their brain to explain their cognitive loss.
People aged 90 and older with an APOE2 gene are less likely to have clinical Alzheimer’s dementia, but are much more likely to have Alzheimer’s neuropathology in their brains.

People who drank moderate amounts of alcohol or coffee lived longer than those who abstained.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Absentia » Thu Feb 22, 2018 6:03 am

After Horatio Nelson was fatally wounded at the Battle of Trafalgar, his body was sealed inside a cask of liquor in order to preserve it for a state funeral in England. According to some accounts, when the barrel was opened prior to the funeral it was discovered that sailors had surreptitiously cut a hole in it in order to drink the contents.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:26 am

This is the astronomical symbol for Uranus.

It's like astronomers want us to make Uranus jokes.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby LaoWai » Sat Feb 24, 2018 2:57 pm

cmsellers wrote:This is the astronomical symbol for Uranus.

Spoiler: show

It's like astronomers want us to make Uranus jokes.

Shouldn't the part that looks like an eye be brown?

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 8:17 am

TIL that I, like most of humanity, do not have a very intuitive grasp of probability. Luckily, I'm only doing an online quiz, rather than something that could actually mean anything.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:18 am

My general rule of thumb for probability and statistics is that if it seems intuitively right it's probably wrong. There are exceptions to that but basically, if a statistical fact is 'obvious' be highly suspicious.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 1:52 am

CarrieVS wrote:My general rule of thumb for probability and statistics is that if it seems intuitively right it's probably wrong. There are exceptions to that but basically, if a statistical fact is 'obvious' be highly suspicious.

I was doing the free questions on brilliant.org here and here, and yeah, that seems about right (I’m up to a quiz on covariance).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:16 am

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Mar 02, 2018 7:23 am

phpBB [video]

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby cmsellers » Fri Mar 02, 2018 8:57 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:<video>

You dropped a link with no explanation again. What did you learn from that which was particularly interesting?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Mar 04, 2018 12:20 am

TIL there’s a character in the ‘80s movie Troll named Harry Potter. (I first heard of the movie a while ago, but just found that out now.)

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext