TIL

Discussion, in general

TIL

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Fri Jun 27, 2014 9:58 am

Large parts of Reddit are a creepshow, but I love this subreddit - "Today I learned".

F'rexample, today I learned that the victims of the 9/11 attacks, including people who fell or jumped from the twin towers, had their cause of death listed as "homicide from blunt trauma". Which is...weird but I suppose accurate. Murder with a blunt instrument, to whit an aeroplane.

Anyway, don't mind me - for some reason I'm obsessed with the 9/11 attacks at the moment. Wonky brain. But I'm sure other people have less gruesome factoids they've just learned and find quite interesting. Tell me them!

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Re: TIL

Postby Matthew Notch » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:27 pm

Well, I didn't exactly learn this today, but a very short while ago I learned that:

Billy the Blue Ranger left the show on bad terms with many on the cast and crew due to harassment and torment because he is gay. Later on he was involved in protests to strike down Prop 8 and some other former cast members joined him.

Kimberly the Pink Ranger has gone on to star in a few other shows and record music, and there is a blog dedicated to her called Church of Amy Jo Johnson that is either terribly creepy or sort of precious. Speaking of Reddit, she also has her own subreddit, r/AmyJoJohnson. I wonder if she knows about either of those sites.

Tina the Yellow Ranger was killed in a car accident on Sept. 3rd, 2001. A rumor had been started back in 1997 that she'd been killed in a car accident, but she actually did die four years later. Very sad.

Tommy the White Ranger invented his own style of martial arts, and is also the world record holder for most boards broken while skydiving. White power!

Well that didn't come out sounding like I thought it would

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby sunglasses » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:34 pm

Today I learned that sharing is caring but I still ate all the cornnuts.

They're all mine.

Mine.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Fri Jun 27, 2014 4:55 pm

JugularNotch wrote:Tommy the White Ranger invented his own style of martial arts, and is also the world record holder for most boards broken while skydiving. White power!

Jason David Frank didn't invent his own style of martial arts. He does however fight MMA now, and has 4 amateur wins, 0 losses, and 1 professional 1 win, 0 losses. He also became a Christian and now runs a Christian themed line of MMA clothing called Jesus Didn't Tap. It's about what you'd expect based on the name. I've always found that sort of thing a bit odd. And for a video of him breaking the boards while skydiving.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:52 am

Dr. Ambiguous wrote:Jason David Frank didn't invent his own style of martial arts.

This is both true and untrue. From the wiki:

Wikipedia, on Jason David Frank wrote:With his knowledge of many different styles of martial arts, Frank collected the most practical applications, modified them with his own philosophies and created his own blend of American Karate, Toso Kune Do.

So technically, what he did was blend existing styles and incorporate them with his born-again philosophy. At any rate, his school is apparently growing, and while in 2003 he was awarded "Master of the Year" from the World Karate Federation, in 2004 he was, by contrast, awarded "Master of the Year for Free-Style Martial Arts" by the USA Martial Arts Federation. But yes, it's not so much a new style as a new approach.

And that is literally the most research I have ever done on a MMA fighter EVER.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Jun 28, 2014 2:01 pm

Also just yesterday I learned that Johnny Yong Bosch, who came on to replace Zack middle of second season as the Black Ranger, was also the voice of the American version of friggin Vash the Stampede.

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sat Jun 28, 2014 7:48 pm

I've learned that he helicopter used in Airwolf was sold after the show ended and became an ambulance helicopter in Germany, where it crashed in a thunderstorm and was destroyed on June 6, 1992, killing all three crew members.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby CarrieVS » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:10 pm

Depressing as all Hell
Today I learned more than one in twenty drivers in America, if there's a turtle on the road, deliberately run it over if there's no-one watching.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Andropov4 » Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:35 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
Depressing as all Hell
Today I learned more than one in twenty drivers in America, if there's a turtle on the road, deliberately run it over if there's no-one watching.

That's because one in twenty Americans works for the Foot Clan.

"Frankly, my dear, I don't give a lamb."- Ryan Stiles

Jenna is mine.
Andropov4
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Rhetorically Correct Rascal

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Jun 30, 2014 8:37 pm

Turtles are tire poppers. And apparently, vice versa.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:07 pm

CarrieVS wrote:
Depressing as all Hell

Well I mean, if there's no eagle around. There's good eatin' on one of those.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jun 30, 2014 9:13 pm

:'(

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Matthew Notch » Tue Jul 01, 2014 1:42 am

You just get that turtle, throw in a potato or two... you got yourself a stew, baby!

Anybody see the trailer for Michael Bay presents TMNT? I hate myself that it sort of looks cool to me.

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Tue Jul 01, 2014 5:26 am

This is pretty much what the new TMNT movie looks like to me.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Next