TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:43 pm

TIL the Dutch word for "father" is spelled "vader" (but pronounced differently from Darth Vader's name).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:58 pm

So do you guys remember when those dresses that both looked like maternity dresses and made non-gravid women look pregnant were ridiculously popular?

Turns out they have a name: the Empire waistline. Also turns out they have been around for awhile, and look less ridiculous when the hem of the dress extends to the feet instead of ending above the knees.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:07 am

So y'all know James Fenimore Cooper, author of Last of the Mohicans? That was actually the second in a series of five books. And for some reason the USSR made a series of stamps devoted to it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:51 am

TIL Froot Loops all taste the same, regardless of color. I already knew they were artificial flavors, as in there's no real fruit added at any time, but I was surprised to find out that the actual flavor is referred to as a "fruit blend" and that goes for all of them.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/rea ... t-flavors/

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Aquila89 » Wed Aug 08, 2018 12:15 pm

cmsellers wrote:So y'all know James Fenimore Cooper, author of Last of the Mohicans? That was actually the second in a series of five books.

I knew that since I was a kid, I had the whole collection in a single volume. But I never read it; though I was generally an avid reader, I couldn't get past the first few pages of The Deerslayer.

cmsellers wrote:And for some reason the USSR made a series of stamps devoted to it.

Westerns that treated Native Americans sympathetically were popular in the East Block during the Cold War.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:27 am

Aquila89 wrote:I knew that since I was a kid, I had the whole collection in a single volume. But I never read it; though I was generally an avid reader, I couldn't get past the first few pages of The Deerslayer.

In that case, can I interest you in the Mark Twain essay "Fenimore Cooper's Literary Offenses"?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Aug 09, 2018 10:42 pm

I actually found this out a few days ago but whatever.

Weird Al Yankovic has been trying to parody Paul McCartney songs for years. He wanted to remake "Live and Let Die" into "Chicken Pot Pie" but says Paul declined due to his strict vegetarianism as he didn't want to promote eating meat.

Instead of guitars playing those killer notes in the refrain, it would've been chickens bawking.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby 52xMax » Fri Aug 10, 2018 6:08 am

iMURDAu wrote:I actually found this out a few days ago but whatever.

Weird Al Yankovic has been trying to parody Paul McCartney songs for years. He wanted to remake "Live and Let Die" into "Chicken Pot Pie" but says Paul declined due to his strict vegetarianism as he didn't want to promote eating meat.

Instead of guitars playing those killer notes in the refrain, it would've been chickens bawking.

The funny thing about that is he doesn't need to get permission, as parodies are protected under fair use. But Al is a nice guy and understands the concept of good faith, so he always asks for approval from the artists before recording. The notable exceptions are "Amish Paradise", where he went through the record label and they told Al that Coolio was cool with it (he wasn't at the time, but he's cooled down since), and "You're Pitiful", which James Blunt okayed, but Atlantic records didn't (and hasn't given permission to date to use on any of Al's compilations), so he released the song for free online.

From Wikipedia (and NPR)

If James Blunt himself were objecting, I wouldn't even offer my parody for free on my Web site. But since it's a bunch of suits — who are actually going against their own artist's wishes — I have absolutely no problem with it.

On the concert tour for Straight Outta Lynwood, Yankovic performed the song initially wearing a long-sleeved shirt, and progressively removing clothing to reveal different layers underneath (as Blunt does in the video for "You're Beautiful"). The penultimate T-shirt revealed says "Atlantic Records Sucks". During his 2010 tour, this shirt was modified from the original, stating "Atlantic Records STILL Sucks". The final T-shirt is the face of SpongeBob SquarePants. Yankovic then removed his pants to reveal boxer shorts with red hearts, a pink tutu, and fishnet stockings

52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 10:41 am

iMURDAu wrote:Weird Al Yankovic has been trying to parody Paul McCartney songs for years. He wanted to remake "Live and Let Die" into "Chicken Pot Pie" but says Paul declined due to his strict vegetarianism as he didn't want to promote eating meat.

The funny part is that Weird Al is also a vegetarian.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Aug 12, 2018 12:20 am

How can you write a song about Chicken Pot Pie if you've never had CHICKEN POT PIE!!!!??????!!!!!!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sun Aug 12, 2018 8:22 am

He hasn't always been vegetarian. On his first album he did a song making fun of health-conscious yuppies.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 4:57 am

When I started eating whole rye, I was surprised and disappointed that it did not taste like rye bread. Well today I decided to make rye bread, and I realized that the taste of rye bread probably actually comes from caraway seeds. I should start using caraway in my cooking.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:03 am

cmsellers wrote:When I started eating whole rye, I was surprised and disappointed that it did not taste like rye bread. Well today I decided to make rye bread, and I realized that the taste of rye bread probably actually comes from caraway seeds. I should start using caraway in my cooking.

Be careful though, we wouldn't want you to get carrieawayed.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Mon Aug 20, 2018 5:24 am

Sage advice. I will take my thyme and uzazi it gingerly.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby 52xMax » Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:58 am

I de-spice these puns.

52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer