I dunno, I'd like to herb more of them ^^

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Re: TIL

Postby Absentia » Tue Aug 28, 2018 8:59 pm

Researchers believe that one of the primary functions of the toucan's absurdly huge bill is to act as a radiator; its enormous surface area is full of blood vessels which are rapidly cooled by air passing over them as the toucan flies. At night they tuck their bills under their wings to prevent excessive heat loss while sleeping.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sat Sep 01, 2018 9:17 am

The first recorded time a plane landed on a public road, was in 1910 on West Executive Avenue. That road is between the White House and the Eisenhower Building (where the VP's office is), and a pioneer of aviation landed there to meet with the Secretary of War. That road is now permanently closed and serves as a parking lot.

The parking lot was mentioned on Veep, and I googled it and here we are!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:32 pm

As a result of a wiki trawl through Jamish's link, I learned that Teddy Roosevelt's son Teddy Jr. was the first white person to shoot a panda.

That seems kind of unsporting, TBH. If you are going to hunt a Panda for sport, I feel like the only sporting way is to hunt it bear handed and bear naked.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Anglerphobe » Sat Sep 01, 2018 7:26 pm

I think I would go with a bamboo spear or arrow myself.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby AboveGL » Sun Sep 02, 2018 9:12 am

Musical mashups date as far back as the 16th century, where lewd secular songs were spliced with the sacred Catholic mass.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:39 pm

The hot/crazy scale from HIMYM is real, and explains why it seems like the best books usually get made into shitty movies.

Don't get the reference?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:13 pm

cmsellers wrote:The hot/crazy scale from HIMYM is real, and explains why it seems like the best books usually get made into shitty movies.

I saw that video a while ago, but I don't get why she said that for The Martian, the movie was better than the book. I thought the book was vastly superior.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Tue Sep 18, 2018 9:18 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:I saw that video a while ago, but I don't get why she said that for The Martian, the movie was better than the book. I thought the book was vastly superior.

I haven't experienced either, but a lot of people said the same thing in the comments.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Kivutar » Wed Sep 19, 2018 1:33 am

TIL that Darwin sent the journal entries that later made up the Voyage of the Beagle to his sister in as close to real time as he could manage in an 1800s voyage. He was quite a poor speller, and in her resposes she'd correct his mistakes. Thanks to her Grammar Nazism, he slowly improved over time.

As a result, his other writings can be dated quite accurately by which words are misspelled and how.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby cmsellers » Wed Sep 19, 2018 4:32 am

Presented from Wikipedia:

Minicoy islanders have long settled in the Nicobar Islands across the Bay of Bengal. These settlers regularly travelled back to Minicoy. The Andaman and Nicobar Islands had a reputation in the Maldives and Minicoy of being inhabited by cannibals, and so collectively the Andaman and Nicobar groups were called "Minikaa-raajje" by Maldive and Minicoy islanders. This meant "cannibal kingdom".

A British official once asked a Minicoy islander what the name of his island was. The islander told the official that he was from Maliku but usually lived in "Minikaa-raajje" (Nicobar). The official thought Maliku and Minikaa were the same place and recorded the name of this islander's home as "Minikaa". This later became anglicised as Minicoy.[5]

Little did this islander know that as a result of this cross-cultural exchange, his home would forever be called by a name that sounded like "cannibal" in his own language.

I don't know if this is true, but I badly want to believe that it is.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:02 am

According to Wikipedia, Joseph Kennedy, paterfamilias of the Kennedy clan was the leader of the successful effort to prevent Congress from allowing arms to be sold to the Spanish Republic.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:34 am

Before the 1930's, US territorial waters were defined as extending three miles from the coast. During Prohibition, smugglers would sail their schooners full of liquor from Canada or the Bahamas right up to the edge of that boundary and drop anchor in international waters, where they could sell freely to locals with smaller, faster boats capable of eluding the Coast Guard. The biggest smuggling hot spots had "Rum Rows": numerous ships anchored side by side, competing for customers by flying banners and throwing wild parties.

Eventually the government caught on and extended the boundary to twelve miles, which was codified as the international standard in 1985.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Australia » Sat Sep 22, 2018 8:37 pm

Cheating because I learned this a few days ago, but I just got back from a 2 day flight (okay 3 flights technically) yesterday so cut me a break, would ya? Evidently when your brother and his girlfriend pick up their new kitten, the first thing you say to it shouldn't be 'I bet you wish you were a dog, don't you?'

To be fair, she didn't seem to take it nearly as badly as her new owners. Yeah, yeah, mention a cat on the internet, better have pics, I know, but I just updated my phone and all my photos are gone. At least I chucked the first half of my holiday up on Facebook last week because the rest will never see the light of day. Just as well, I suppose, I'm a shitty photographer.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:29 pm

You think you're a bad photographer? You ain't seen nothing yet. And you never will because I'm the worst photographer.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext