TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:37 pm

Marcuse wrote:Yeah Ono went a bit nuts after that happened. I knew him a little before that and he seemed ok, but I kind of realised when he kept coming back with alt accounts that something was up. Didn't he name the blog Crocked?

Oh yes, Crocked. That was pitiful. That was also how Ono called Cracked in the comments made by one of his alt accounts.

It was a shame, indeed. But something that bothered me was Karl Smallwood’s take on the matter, in a piece on his blog. Especially this part:

Karl Smallwood wrote:Ono Sendai, who by his own admission is a 55-year-old man who lives alone and considers the people he talks to in the comments sections of a website as his only friends (fucking seriously). You’re probably expecting a dig or jab at this guy, but I’m not going to do that. Because “55-year-old man who live alone and considers people in comments sections to be his only friends” is so fucking depressing by itself WordPress flagged this post as a suicide note when I wrote it.

Edit: Karl Smalldick? Seriously? Scratch what I said in this place, that guy seriously had issues. Now I don’t blame Smallwood for not liking him.

Last edited by Edgar Cabrera on Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:23 pm

That was actually started by someone who went by Ryan and then some numbers (which he dropped for his blog; Ryan92 I think), he turned it over to Ono a few posts in. They also started this other blog (I think there's autoplay music on that, but I think I have an add on blocking it). It was supposed to be a comedy blog in the vein of cracked, but it's really not funny. You also have these two blogs that just ripped on Wong and Cheese. Ono and his friends also set up their own forum at the end of all this, but you needed an account for that and I didn't want to bother. We've discussed Cracked/Wong/Cheese and how they've handled things plenty of times before, and I don't agree with everything they've done, but I'm not going to get into that again here. But things got pretty out of hand on the other end too during that clusterfuck. Ono really went nuts there.

Edit: Fucking hell man, 3 new posts while I was writing this. And , Karl Smallwood came out as a dick too in all that.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:26 pm

In Smallwood's defense, Ono sort of went after his professional life too. It was borderline (or not borderline) sabotage. Karl Smallwood was prickly about the comment section after that, but in retrospect it's awfully hard to blame him.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:42 pm

Oh yeah, Ono went nuts and he was being a real prick. He always called him Karl Smalldick as a lame pun on his name, so I don't blame the guy for not liking Ono.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:55 pm

I suppose the thing that really annoyed me about the whole Ono/Crocked thing, and by extension all the people who took it way too far, was that they did everything to puncture the argument every single other commenter had that the Cracked comments weren't just a hellhole suitable for racism and aggression.

My post, the only one I ever made, in PWOT was specifically addressed to the fact that not all commenters were like that and then you had these boneheads making stupid anti-Cracked blogs, and doing everything they could to convince everyone who ran or wrote for Cracked that all commenters were troll time-bombs waiting to explode.

The very reason I ever even entertained the idea of seeing a community online, especially in the comments of an article, was purely and entirely because of the comments on Cracked articles. When I woke up to see the kind of shit people had gotten up to, I ended up leaving that only post on PWOT and then when they banned me there, I was ready to say "fuck this entirely". I'm glad I didn't, but it was very disappointing to see people I thought were ok acting like morons because someone else had "done something wrong". Because by the end, both sides were both shrieking that, and it looked idiotic.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Jul 07, 2014 5:28 pm

Yeah, pretty much nobody covered themselves with glory during that whole debacle. With the exception of our Glorious Leader Tess, it should go without saying.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Nullbert » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:04 pm

Today I learnt (from TV Tropes... wait, what year is this?) that First World countries were originally countries that were allied with the USA and Third World countries were countries that were considered neutral during the Cold War. That's why you don't hear about the Second World countries, because they were the countries allied with the USSR. :mrgreen:

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby sunglasses » Mon Jul 07, 2014 8:43 pm

Today I learned that Aviel is now a Sexylord.

I also learned that I really need to find out where they keep the plunger at work.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Learned Nand » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:26 pm

sunglasses wrote:Today I learned that Aviel is now a Sexylord.

I always have been, just now it's recognized by the forum.

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:01 am

Oh man. OnoSendai. I've got like 3 of his alt accounts as friends on Cracked. Eventually they all seemed to get banned. I didn't know what was going on. I thought he had an imposter going around as him, saying some of the stuff. That was just weird.

Anyway, I learned the best way to get a little kid to leave you alone is to play tag and be it.

edit: in the "holy crap that still works" column - when a little kid asks what something is that you've got, that you don't want to share, saying "medicine" will get them to not want it, most of the time.

Last edited by Malfeasinator on Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby JamesT » Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:43 am

sunglasses wrote:Today I learned that Aviel is now a Sexylord.

I also learned that I really need to find out where they keep the plunger at work.

Great, we can teach him the secret handshake.

Okay, it's left hand, right hand, slap slap, turn... wait no... left hand left hand, right slap, up high... shit...

Anyone have a pen and paper I can borrow?

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Matthew Notch » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:46 am

Don't be fooled guys. Asking for a pen and paper is part of the secret handshake. #TheTruthIsOutThere

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun Jul 13, 2014 5:47 am

Today I learned that, apparently for following The Animals on Twitter, Eric Burdon's wife Marianna is following me (and also, a band named Rock N' Roll Circus. Is anybody here in a band named like that?)

Edit: Now I'm being followed by a "synthpop proyect" named "Space March". This is weird.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Nullbert » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:17 am

Today (well, yesterday technically) I learnt about Dunbar's number, which suggests that humans can only comfortably maintain about 150 stable relationships. This means that if you have 151 friends on Facebook, one of them is not your friend... hence why I only have 6.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Postby JamishT » Mon Jul 14, 2014 10:45 am

Nullbert wrote:Today (well, yesterday technically) I learnt about Dunbar's number, which suggests that humans can only comfortably maintain about 150 stable relationships. This means that if you have 151 friends on Facebook, one of them is not your friend... hence why I only have 6.

Ah, but I beg to differ! Maintaining a friendship entails almost daily conversation and interaction, yes? Why can't a friendship be in stasis during longer periods that lack communication? Sure, you may not be as close to that friend after a length of time has passed, but does that mean you aren't friends? No, not in my opinion. But then again, maybe I'm just trying to justify having a crapton of Facebook friends.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext