TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby CleverDick » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:04 am

I was searching Wikipedia and typed in "List of", but pressed enter before I could type Jar-Jar Binks fanfic Rifftrax, and I found this.

Ashtherion wrote:We're not worse at drinking, we're just better at being intoxicated, so we don't have to spend so much on beer.
Suck our tiny economical dicks, white people.
CleverDick
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Dozenare

Postby Matthew Notch » Sun Jul 06, 2014 6:26 am

Wikipedia wrote:This article is a list of articles comprising a list of things that are themselves lists of things, such as the lists of lists listed below.

Someone saw you coming, Dick.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:35 am

It lists itself. I am happy now.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:23 pm

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jul 06, 2014 5:31 pm

Or the architect who had an obsession with elaborate groups of buildings.

Spoiler: show
He had a complex complex complex.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Sun Jul 06, 2014 10:50 pm

I didn't learn it today but this realisation I recently came across rocked me to my core. Toads are Frogs. They're not a separate thing. I always, always thought frogs and toads were a text book example of similar but different things, like crocodiles and alligators or foxes and wolves. But apparently there's no scientific differences, people generally think of them as being different, but technically Toads are just a type of frog. This world man, this world of ours.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:34 am

I learned this on my phone a couple days ago and was never able to get on a computer to put up the links, but...

http://www.motherearthnews.com/real-foo ... x?PageId=4

I learned that trappers in the North would sometimes get protein poisoning from only eating lean meat and getting practically no fat, so a trick was to leave meat out to rot, and then when it attracted flies, and then maggots, they could pick the maggots off and eat them, as maggots are very fatty. Maggots are apparently relished in many cultures. And let's not forget Casu Marzu...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Casu_marzu

If diners don't want to ingest the fly larvae living in the cheese, as is traditionally done, they will place the cheese in a sealed paper bag, and the lack of air will cause the worms, which can launch themselves some 15 centimeters, to pitter patter against the bag. Once the sound ceases, the worms are dead and the cheese can be "safely" consumed.

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 4:21 am

So I made a funny with your name (Mr. Notch) in the anagram thread and you provide me with just enough nightmare fuel to get me through the night. Today I learned this site is pretty much perfectly balanced.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Jul 07, 2014 9:47 am

D-LOGAN wrote:I didn't learn it today but this realisation I recently came across rocked me to my core. Toads are Frogs. They're not a separate thing. I always, always thought frogs and toads were a text book example of similar but different things, like crocodiles and alligators or foxes and wolves. But apparently there's no scientific differences, people generally think of them as being different, but technically Toads are just a type of frog. This world man, this world of ours.

Did you also know there's no taxonomic difference between moths and butterflies? The major distinguisher is that moths look boring. Not kidding.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Jul 07, 2014 12:54 pm

I was always taught it was that butterflies don't fold their wings and moths do - there's plenty of moths that are brightly coloured and plenty of drab butterflies. There's a chunk of grass given over to wildflowers and insects near my house that's full of Burnett moths. They're jet black with shocking pink polka dots.

CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Show rep

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Jul 07, 2014 1:02 pm

My dad had a colleague who used to set traps for moths and butterflies in our garden - it was his hobby. Apparently there are various indicators - position of wings, colour, shape of antennae, whether they're nocturnal or diurnal - but they all have exceptions.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:06 pm

iMURDAu wrote:So I made a funny with your name (Mr. Notch) in the anagram thread and you provide me with just enough nightmare fuel to get me through the night. Today I learned this site is pretty much perfectly balanced.

Also from the Mother Earth article:

The Article wrote:Someone once told me their grandfather, during the Depression of the 1930s, would take maggots that grew on a hunk of meat he kept in the cellar and spread them on toast like butter.

*sighs contentedly*

Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Mon Jul 07, 2014 2:59 pm

Today I learned that there was a blog made about the ruckus that happened with that one John Cheese article, the John Cheese Incident. Apparently it was made by former commenter OnoSendai and the last post is from December 2012.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby Marcuse » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:12 pm

Today I learned that there was a blog made about the ruckus that happened with that one John Cheese article, the John Cheese Incident. Apparently it was made by former commenter OnoSendai and the last post is from December 2012.

Yeah Ono went a bit nuts after that happened. I knew him a little before that and he seemed ok, but I kind of realised when he kept coming back with alt accounts that something was up. Didn't he name the blog Crocked?

Wong wrote:[Douchebaggery expunged] (he's posted elsewhere that he's going to contact Anonymous to come after us, and that he has personally contacted the shareholders of Demand over the fact that he wasn't allowed to keep screaming insults in our comment section). [Douchebaggery Expunged]

Oh yeah, yeah he did, and he was. It's a shame really. He came back as "CorpusDelicti" which is a term I believe means a failure, or miscarriage, of justice. I don't know why, but getting banned and all his comments deleted seemed to do something to him. When I got banned from PWOT that pissed me off, but I didn't DO anything about it. It just annoyed me.

I remember having a couple of conversations with some people that were looking for him post-ban. One of whom created an account here, but never posted.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 07, 2014 3:31 pm

Strange, I always wondered what happened to him. We were "friends" on cracked and out of the blue he called me a troll for saying I didn't think P!nk was attractive then I managed to smooth things over and we exchanged cordial PMs around the time of the '12 Presidential election but he fell off right after that. I don't like cracked that much either which is why I lurked in pwot for a while but I probably only posted 3 times there.

Back on topic, today I learned I've still got it. I'm the top voted comment on yesterday's photoplasty. Not only that, but I probably got the most downvotes for a reply to a comment on the same article. Polarization!

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext