TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby Krashlia » Sun Feb 17, 2019 4:56 am

Deathclaw_Puncher wrote:TIL There's a South Sudanese State called "Lol". lol.
Spoiler: show

Why do I have a feeling that it bears a reputation and condition similar to any Country referred to as a "People's Democratic Republic"?

Krashlia
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Feb 17, 2019 8:05 am

The (sometimes) richest man in the world, Jeff Bezos, is cousins with the king of Country music, George Strait.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby 52xMax » Wed Feb 27, 2019 5:23 am

A grandson of Giuseppe Garibaldi who shared his name fought in the early stages of the Mexican revolution as one of Francisco I. Madero's lieutenants.

After getting on the bad side of Pancho Villa over who should get credit for a battle in Juarez, Garibaldi did the only smart thing someone in that position could do and GTFOd, before things turned really ugly. Unlike most of the heroes of the revolution against Diaz, Garibaldi lived long enough to fight in world war I, oppose Mussolini during world war II, and die at the ripe old age of 70.

There's a square in Mexico city famous for being the traditional spot for mariachi bands to gather. It's called "Plaza Garibaldi", and I always assumed it was named after the famous Italian reunification leader, but it was actually named after his grandson because of his war efforts.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Mar 02, 2019 5:00 pm

Honda doesn't have any traditional audio speakers in the HondaJet.

It uses multiple transducers embedded in the walls instead.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat Mar 09, 2019 4:58 am

Y'all know how Kinder Surprise eggs are banned in the US because the FDA considers them a choking hazard?

Well, about a year ago, Chile followed suit, but for very different reasons. Chile is looking to restrict the marketing and sale of junk foods to children, including banning their sale in schools and prohibiting things that appeal to children like cute mascots and toys.

Now, I have some complaints about how they define junk food (it includes saturated fat and salt in addition to sugar), and as a libertarian this rubs me the wrong way. But since high-sugar foods are the main ones marketed this way, it's possible this will yield a positive public health outcome, much as banning Joe the Camel and candy cigarettes did in the US for tobacco. However since tobacco is an acquired taste, while children instantly like sugar, I'm still skeptical. I guess we'll see in a couple decades.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Bad Bart of Ruddigore

Previous