TIL

Discussion, in general

Re: TIL

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Nov 17, 2018 11:42 pm

TIL there’s a difference between a roundabout and a traffic circle.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Tuli » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:46 pm

TIL what a snake skeleton looks like. I never considered snakes having ribs before. Pretty freaky.

Spoiler: show
Like a nightmare centipede.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby cmsellers » Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:00 am

TIL why Popeye's biscuits are so much fluffier than mine. You need to use soft wheat flour for fluffy biscuits, and that's almost unheard of outside the South.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Aquila89 » Fri Nov 23, 2018 4:39 pm

TIL that Dr. Seuss's first book, published in 1931, was called Boners. It was followed by More Boners, Still More Boners and Prize Boners for 1932. These were later collected in The Pocket Book of Boners.

(A "boner" in 1930s slang meant a silly mistake).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 10, 2018 4:09 am

Thomas Schweicker was almost an IRL black knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail

Schweicker lost his arms in a duel with a German noble named Noah von Williamsburg. The two dueled over the right to court a female that the two were both infatuated with. In the duel, Schweicker's left arm was dismembered by von Williamsburg's sword but he continued to duel with his right arm. After a long and drawn out duel, von Williamsburg dismembered Schweicker's right arm as well. Schweicker finally admitted defeat before passing out from blood loss.

OK, maybe not, he admitted defeat after losing only his arms, but it still reminds me of that skit.

And in case you've been living under a rock, or just suddenly have an urge to rewatch the skit.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Aquila89 » Mon Dec 10, 2018 3:29 pm

As long as we're on the Black Knight, John Cleese said that he was inspired by a story about an ancient wrestler that he was told by his English teacher:

There was a particularly tough contest in progress, and one of the wrestlers, his arm broke—the difficulty of the embrace was so great that his arm broke under the pressure—and he submitted because of the appalling pain he was in. And the referee sort of disentangled them and said to the other guy, ‘You won,’ and the other guy was rather unresponsive, and the referee realized the other guy was dead. And this was an example to ‘Jumper’ Gee of the fact that if you didn’t give up you couldn’t lose, and I always thought this was a very dodgy conclusion, but it stuck in my mind for years, and so probably 15 years later when I was writing for The Holy Grail with Graham, I told him about that, and that’s where the Black Knight sketch came from.

Cleese's memory isn't entirely correct; there was a wrestler like that, but he was Greek, not Roman, and he crushed the foot of his opponent instead of breaking his arm.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:42 pm

That reminds me of the faction of internet tough guys who maintain that stuff like bjj and wrestling wouldn't work "on the streets" because someone could claw at your eyes or squeeze your balls or whatever while you're choking them. In the sixteenth century, they presumably would have been the guys with no arms and no girlfriend. Speaking of which, this woman must have been quite something. Imagine a girl you would give both of your arms and endure sixteenth century trauma surgery for.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby AboveGL » Mon Dec 10, 2018 6:47 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:That reminds me of the faction of internet tough guys who maintain that stuff like bjj and wrestling wouldn't work "on the streets" because someone could claw at your eyes or squeeze your balls or whatever while you're choking them.

It's funny, that. There's nothing stopping the BJJ guy/wrestler from ALSO doing those things while they have you pinned and they're choking you out.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Dec 10, 2018 11:51 pm

Mike Tyson was not the first boxer to promote a boxing game named Punchout for Nintendo.

In 1984, Larry Holmes was on hand at a trade to give a signed glove to the person with the highest daily score on the Punchout arcade machine.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Dec 11, 2018 9:07 pm

I actually learnt this a couple of weeks ago, but I've been too busy shoehorning it into other places to share my hot new secret until now:

If you want to make the ™ trademark sign, switch off Num Lock on your keyboard, then hold the Alt key (not Alt Gr), and type the numbers 0153 with your numpad.

There are loads more here if you're really interested, but I only ever wanted the TM one.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Sat Dec 15, 2018 2:55 am

Over Thanksgiving I discovered that there is a Robert Mueller lounge at the Austin Airport, which made me wonder if the Mueller neighborhood was also named after Robert Mueller. As it turns out, Mueller is named after the Robert Mueller Airport, which is named after Robert Mueller.

However it's a different Robert Mueller, one without even a Wikipedia page. This Robert Mueller was an Austin city councilman who died in office in 1927.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Dec 15, 2018 4:07 am

Pedgerow wrote:I actually learnt this a couple of weeks ago, but I've been too busy shoehorning it into other places to share my hot new secret until now:

If you want to make the ™ trademark sign, switch off Num Lock on your keyboard, then hold the Alt key (not Alt Gr), and type the numbers 0153 with your numpad.

There are loads more here if you're really interested, but I only ever wanted the TM one.

I first learned a bunch of those a long time ago, starting with § (Alt+789 or 123456789) and ☼ (Alt+15 or 1551), though I can't for the life of me remember why. (Also, they only work with Num Lock on for me.)

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Kivutar » Sat Dec 22, 2018 4:49 am

Aquila89 wrote:TIL that Dr. Seuss's first book, published in 1931, was called Boners. It was followed by More Boners, Still More Boners and Prize Boners for 1932. These were later collected in The Pocket Book of Boners.

(A "boner" in 1930s slang meant a silly mistake).

Relevant.

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby Malfeasinator » Sat Dec 22, 2018 7:31 am

Uranus is lopsided.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jan 02, 2019 7:42 pm

Lately I have been suffering horrible anxiety when I am trying to sleep. I've also been drinking. Last night I went to trivia at a bar and got a single mojito but it got me more drunk than I expected, and I couldn't sleep after that. This is when it finally occurred to me the anxiety and the drinking are probably connected. I found I'm not the only one with this issue. There's a word for it, hangxiety. I wanted to post about it here so others are aware of the issue. This didn't occur to me before because anxiety is not a stereotypical feature of alcohol consumption. I've never seen it depicted on TV or anything. It's similar to how I feel when I come down from other drugs like marijuana also. I feel no anxiety when the drug is working but then when it wears off I suffer a lot.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

PreviousNext