Explain Your Avatar

Discussion, in general

Explain Your Avatar

Postby Learned Nand » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:00 pm

Inspired by the "Explain your Username" thread, I wanted to ask people to explain their avatar's. Some people's avatars make sense, but others', not as much. I still can't figure out what the hell ETBJ is supposed to be.

Anyways, my avatar is a NAND gate. A NAND gate is an electronic circuit that takes two boolean (binary) inputs. It outputs "true" so long as at least one input is "false". The NAND gate is an important gate because most computers build all of their circuits around it. My avatar is the fundamental component of logic in computers. (The medal is because I won the popular vote on the competition to determine the site's slogan).

Terry Pratchett wrote:The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it.

Click for a Limerick
OrangeEyebrows wrote:There once was a guy, Aviel,
whose arguments no one could quell.
He tested with Turing,
his circuits fried during,
and now we'll have peace for a spell.
Learned Nand
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Auditor of Reality

Re: Explain Your Avatar

Postby Jack Road » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:17 pm

Generally I use a random Creative Commons picture of an old man. Fits with my identity as Jack Road. I generally only change it for role-playing games, when I go in character. However, recently, and just for TCS, I am advertising a Web Comic I have fallen in love with. A Web Comic called Nothing Fits

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:27 pm

It's a bear in Jewish garb and a literal interpretation of my username.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby Marcuse » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:35 pm

The first one I used (the eye one) was a random picture I found on the internet. I occasionally get bored and want to change them, but I mostly do that in response to changes in mood. I've discovered that my idea of what's cool, or attractive varies quite a lot from most people, so usually my avatar tends to be something I find particularly striking of interesting.

My current one was the product of a Google search for the term "Dark Wizard", because when you search for "Black wizard" you don't necessarily get the thing you're looking for. This one jumped out at me in seconds, compared to most. Because the thing is, I stare at my avatar for ages, and I love them dearly. That sounds weirder than I intend, but I always pick a piece that I absolutely adore the look of, and they're usually few and far between.

This one is an example of one I loved and used for a while:

Something about it speaks to me. I couldn't quantify it, or define it, but I love it. Most of the images I use are from Black Metal albums, which makes sense to me.

The current one I'm using is somebody's artwork, and I have tried to contact them, but to no avail. Since I love it SO much, I've used it, and I'm considering linking back to their art in my sig as kind of a thank you. Because I do love it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:40 pm

Mine is my cat, except when it isn't. I change it for special occasions, almost always to a cat that's in some way appropriate to the season, but I always go back to Poppy afterwards.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Jack Road » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Hey look! A Black Wizard!

Jack Road
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:52 pm

Hey hey hey Road! Let's not bring the magi into this!

I suppose explaining why I use that would be useful. So I like Black Metal, right? One of the more important and influential albums from that period was "In the Nightside Eclipse" by Emperor, and one of the most famous songs from that is "I am the Black Wizards". With the title expressing so much awful grammar (though it is technically accurate, see the line "My wizards are many, but their essence is mine"). I shared this song on IRC a while ago, and people thought it was funny too. So as a joke a few people began to refer to me, in a light hearted way as a "Black wizard", so when I went looking for a new avatar, that's why I chose that search term.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Overlord Moo » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:02 pm

Well, I wanted something cow-y, so like any good child of the internet, I popped over to Google and punched "cow" into the search box, figuring I could find a nice, normal cow face or something. Hell, maybe I'd find a fancy cow with a top hat and monocle. So naturally the very first result was a cow, sticking his tongue out and giving a big "HIIIIIIIII!!!" After about 5 solid minutes of laughing, I knew I just had to have it.

image.jpg
For posterity
image.jpg (36.93 KiB) Viewed 10092 times

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby Australia » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:28 pm

Which one? I've had about ten avatars in the last week and I'm really losing track of what any of them mean and what has become of my life.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby sunglasses » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:29 pm

My very first avatar was Death. He and I are buddies, m'kay.
Then I had the Goth Sleeping Beauty...because it was cool looking.
Then the brain in the cup of coffee because it made me giggle.
Now the dancing alien spawn from Space Balls because, once again, it makes me giggle.
There is usually no rhyme or reason behind me changing said avatar. I may do so again soon.

Last edited by sunglasses on Tue Apr 22, 2014 7:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby AboveGL » Tue Apr 22, 2014 2:57 pm

It varies. Sometimes it's a character I like, sometimes it's a character I'm RPing as (most recently I had John Cassidy from Fallout 2 before changing it to this one), sometimes it's a moniker I hold.

My current one is the character I use for Saints Row 4 when I feel like playing as a female. I use it in Susan's Place too. My title is a "dress name" if you please, I guess you could say something similar about my avatar.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby aBagofYoughurt » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:06 pm

It's from a picture I Photoshopdrewwithmymouse once. It was supposed to be a self-portrait kind of thing but I gave up halfway through.

Hello
aBagofYoughurt
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Lurker Supreme

Postby Kate » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:14 pm

I used to play a lot of mafia.

I was a pirate, and I implied that I was in love with a certain character. So LaChaise made me a picture with Soundwave lifting up my pirate character and I loved it so much I asked him if I could make it my avatar and he obliged.

And...oh...so yeah...the um. The sword. Yeah. Well, I am, after all, a firm believer in self-defense.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby Cobra-D » Tue Apr 22, 2014 4:59 pm

My name is Cobra.....so...I got the Cobra Logo...*Cough*

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Postby Dr. Ambiguous » Tue Apr 22, 2014 5:09 pm

Question 1 Avatar 120 X 120.jpeg
Question 1 Avatar 120 X 120.jpeg (5.47 KiB) Viewed 10031 times

Uploading an image of my avatar for two reasons. 1). I'm not using my normal avatar right now. 2). In case I ever change this in the future (not really planning on it anytime soon though). For a long while I didn't have an avatar on TCS because I couldn't decide what I wanted to use for one. I wanted to use something metal originally given my love for the genre, but I had a hard time finding one that I felt meshed with my username (and some of the ones I was considering I ended up vetoing given that they were rather graphic). At one point I had the thought that the Question worked well with my name, so off to google to find one that I liked. I came across a few images from the cartoon, saved a few and edited them down to size. After playing with the different images and flipping them back and forth 30 times to decide which way I wanted it to face I finally settled on the here. Oddly though I've never read a comic with the Question, though I did like the character in the Justice League cartoon. But the short version is I thought the pic worked well with my username.

<@Tesseracts> your stalking skills make you the #1 counter-stalker

Not sure how to use the forum? Read the TCS Forum Guide
Dr. Ambiguous
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Random Pointless Rule Nazi

Next