Origins of your username?

Discussion, in general

Origins of your username?

Postby Visus Draconis » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:30 am

So, how exactly did you come up with your username?

Me, I picked a name from the tabletop game Mage: the Awakening that I thought was really neat. It essentially means "Eye of the Dragon". (Like I said, I thought it sounded cool.)

Visus Draconis
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: 70% water by volume.

Re: Origins of your username?

Postby Lindvaettr » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:41 am

I like the story of mine, so sorry if I get to into this.

My last name comes from Old Norse, where it meant that the person had a linden tree growing on their property that had a guardian spirit inside it that would protect the family and their crops and such. I think I remember reading somewhere that the family was also expected to protect the linden tree. Anyway, the guardian spirits were called Vörðr (which is where I got my old username, Vordr, from). We get the words "ward", "warden" and "wraith" from the word "vörðr.

There were also other spirits, called Vættir, that lived in the roots of the linden tree. They didn't only live in the roots of linden trees. They were just spirits, or wights, and included your standard nature spirits (sea spirits, etc.), and also elfs (Álfar), dwarfs (Dvergar), giants (Jötnar), and the gods (Æsir and Vanir).

Anyway, that's a digression. Lindvaettir is a semi-madeup Old Norse word for "Linden Spirits" (I'll get to that), which I made up because I didn't like Vordr.

Interesting fact: Lindvaettir is actually plural because I made a mistake.. I keep meaning to make HarpingCarp change it, but I haven't gotten around it it. It should be Lindvaettr.

Lindvaettr
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Lord of the Dance

Postby Typical Michael » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:43 am

My username isn't that interesting, but I have been using it since about 2007.

Story goes...whenever my best friend would ask me to go somewhere, I would want to take a shower first. So sometimes, I would end up being late.

So I guess one day, he became exasperated, and exclaimed "Ughh! typical Michael!"

The rest is history, kids.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby JamesT » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:00 am

I like Kirk.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby theNakedest » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:13 am

One day , many years ago, I was signing up for something or other. All my regular usernames were taken, and I couldn't think of anything to us. Because it was a throwaway account, I decided I was going to refresh the reCAPTCHA box at the bottom, and just use that. After a click and a short load, siting there in all of it's glory, where the fated words 'The' and 'Nakedest'. I decided that the beautiful absurdity of it was far too great to just leave in an unused account, so I started rolling as 'The Nakedest'. Over time, it became 'TheNakedest', then 'theNakedest' that you see today.

I originally thought I might get tired of it after a few years, but here we are and it still makes me smile. I friggin' love the shape of it, the implications it brings about, and the fact that every spell check insists that 'nakedest' isn't a word.

theNakedest
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:15 am

Do you really need to ask?

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby theNakedest » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:18 am

Come on, you Yiddish Grizzly! Spill the beans!

theNakedest
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby gregfrankenstein » Fri Apr 26, 2013 5:52 am

I was sick of using my last name for everything like I do on Cracked, partly because my last name has the word "swag" in it and that just doesn't go over well on the internet these days, so I chose a terrible the world's raddest pseudonym.

Last edit by JugularNotch, 11:33 PM

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby Fernald » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:18 am

Mine is the name of a character in Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events, which is one of my favourite books.

"The enemy is a moron. He thinks that we are the enemy, even though it's him!"

~ P. Desproges.
Fernald
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby w00 » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:52 am

My dog's nickname.

She was named Oogway when I got her, then Woo, or more formally, Oogway Woo. Woo Gurl seemed appropriate for her personality so she answered to that too.

I started with that nick, but Carp humped my internet leg 'til it was sore, so I changed it to just w00.

I suck at internet nicknames. On Slashdot, my nick is taken from my cat's name.

Many times I considered signing up for Cracked.com, but never did come up with a good character for the comment section (and the ToS was daunting), so I didn't register.

Some drink from the fountain of knowledge, while others merely gargle.
--
There are 4 boxes to use in the defence of liberty:
1) soap, 2) ballot, 3) jury, 4) ammo.
Use in that order.
w00
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Wrote the Turing test

Postby LaoWai » Fri Apr 26, 2013 8:53 am

Mine is how people refer to me almost every day here. In Mandarin it means "foreigner."

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby D-LOGAN » Fri Apr 26, 2013 12:47 pm

When I was signing up for Cracked I originally wanted to have "Sarcophilus Harrisii" as my user name thingy, but I couldn't get it to come up. At the time I assumed it was too long or the computer didn't like it or something, (I didn't really get computers back then, not like toady, I can make smiley faces all by myself now and everything!).
So my original plan thwarted I decided that since I happened to have 'Day of the Dead' on in the background, the bit with Dr. Logan giving his speech about Bub, I may as well go with that.
"Never be rich....." God that film gives me chills!

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Rebo » Fri Apr 26, 2013 1:36 pm

First four letters of my last name. People in the south don't really try on names other than Billy Bob or Smith or Johnson, and I always ended up getting called by this anyways.

Fuck you, I'm Mayor.
Rebo
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Fri Apr 26, 2013 2:20 pm

I used to go by snakelady on a number of other sites but that was taken when I went to sign into Cracked.
I had just re-read Sunglasses After Dark and had just spent an hour looking for my sunglasses so....sunglasses.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Glassjaw Girl » Fri Apr 26, 2013 4:31 pm

One day I heard this really great song on the radio and subconsciously never forgot it. Several months later, one of my favorite local bands mentioned this foreign band they idolized and I thought it was worth checking out. I downloaded their songs and nearly had a heart attack when I played the first song and it turned out to be the same one I heard on the radio months ago. That band is Glassjaw, so now, here and in Cracked, I am Glassjaw Girl. If I had a boat or a plane I'd name it Glassjaw. If I were a Decepticon my name would be Glassjaw. If I were a guy I'd probably name my thingy Glassjaw too.

Glassjaw Girl
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Communications Commander

Next