Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:16 pm

cmsellers wrote:Make sure to buy her lots of talking toys, finger paints, and fireworks. Maybe get her a pet goat as well.

It was my niece's second birthday recently. I bought her a book and two plastic dinosaurs, and she was happy with them. When we told her than one of them is an Apatosaurus, she gave it to her father saying: "Here, an Apa-Saurus". ("Apa" means "father" in Hungarian).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed May 08, 2019 10:13 pm

I got approved for a credit card today. The terms kind of suck, but so does my credit atm, so meh. Hopefully using it (wisely) will help my credit score.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed May 15, 2019 5:46 am

I was talking to one of the guys at my work today, and he said he’s going to see if I can get an employee ID badge so I don’t have to keep walking almost halfway around the building from the parking lot just to sign in as a visitor to get inside. He also pointed out that another coworker of mine started around the same time as me, and she got her badge two weeks ago.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Sat May 18, 2019 12:41 am

I guess you just need to..... badge-r them about it.

So hey uh, I'm going to be an uncle again! My sister is expecting at the end of November. Copycat. That's when my son was born. We're all thrilled.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat May 18, 2019 6:43 am

iMURDAu wrote:I guess you just need to..... badge-r them about it.

I actually did today, and they said they give them out once you’ve been there for a month (which I have, as of this week), so I should be getting one soon.

There was supposed to be an extra shift tomorrow for people who wanted to work, but my line supervisor had us stay late and finish the run tonight (we ended at 1 AM). So I got a total of six hours of overtime this week (I didn’t sign up to work tomorrow anyway, so I’m happy).

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun May 19, 2019 2:40 am

I took next week off, and I fly to New Hampshire on Monday to stay at an AirBnB until Friday. I have no itinerary, but I know I wanna see/walk in the Atlantic, see some historical sights, and eat some lobster for the first time. I'm looking forward to abusing a rental car and otherwise relaxing for a week!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sun May 19, 2019 4:47 am

Why did you have to wait until I'd moved to Texas and Tess went to Amsterdam before you went to New England? It's like you're trying to avoid us.

Seriously though, it sounds like you're near Portsmouth. I've always wanted to and never managed to see the Portsmouth Peace Museum.

Across the river from Portsmouth is Kittery, Maine. There's outlets if you like that sort of stuff, and some of the best fried seafood in New England at Bob's Clam Hut. They don't have whole lobsters, but they do have lobster rolls, which everyone in my family loves except me. (I don't eat shellfish.)

You'd also be close to Salem, Massachusetts, and that is absolutely worth checking out, both for the historic seaport and the witch museum.

You could consider a whale watch, but I've had very mixed experiences with those, ranging from a full hour of whale sightings to no whales at all.

You're also reasonably close to Boston, but there's a lot to do in Boston and it has terrible traffic, for the Northeast. (Boston traffic ain't got nothing on Houston, San Diego, or Miami.) So if I only had five days, well I'd go to the New England Aquarium, but the smart thing is probably to skip Boston and it's traffic and make a separate trip to Boston where you stay downtown and don't have to drive anywhere.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby JamishT » Sun May 19, 2019 5:05 am

I can't seem to find anything about the Portsmouth Peace Museum on Google! Is it a state secret?

I hadn't thought of Salem or a whale watch, but those are both great suggestions!

Yeah, I wasn't planning on going to Boston because of the traffic... but I drove through San Fran once, so if I'm really feeling it, I might try it anyway.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sun May 19, 2019 5:57 am

So apparently the Portsmouth Peace Museum doesn't exist, which I guess partially explains why I've never been.

As best I can tell, there have been several temporary exhibits on the subject at various New Hampshire museums, mostly in Portsmouth. I remember a brochure from the Eastern States Exposition, and then then a billboard driving through on my way to Maine, those must have been for one of the temporary exhibits. I guess I saw "Portsmouth Peace Treaty at X Museum" and apparently read "Portsmouth Peace Museum."

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue May 21, 2019 4:03 pm

As I posted previously in this thread (which I am too lazy to go look up), I passed two regulatory examinations for my job -- the Series 7 and Series 63.

The 7 is a Federal licensing exam, and the 63 covers state law. You basically have to pass these to become licensed to sell stock as an agent for a broker-dealer.

My department decided to allow us on a voluntary basis to take another exam -- the Series 66. It is a much harder exam that, once passed, allows you to make recommendations on securities as an Investment Advisor Representative.

After some intense studying for a solid month and a half, not only did I pass, but I was the very first person in my department to do so. It doesn't currently come with any pay bump, but it great for me within my department, and it gives me a leg up if I apply for another position in or out of my company.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Marcuse » Tue May 21, 2019 7:19 pm

Well done Creepy, now you're qualified to execute Series 66.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue May 21, 2019 8:52 pm

Congratulations Creepy!

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby IamNotCreepy » Wed May 22, 2019 3:39 pm

Marcuse wrote:Well done Creepy, now you're qualified to execute Series 66.

I was hoping there would be a good meme to this effect, but I couldn't find one.

I am relieved it's over. After a month and a half of studying 2-3 hours a day, it's good to finally have my life back.

In other good news, today we close on the refinance of our mortgage. We are getting rid of the PMI, and by paying about the same amount as we're paying now, we'll be shortening our mortgage by about 7 years.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Tesseracts » Wed May 29, 2019 3:39 pm

A couple weeks ago, my sister's Apple Watch was stolen. She left it in a chair outside of the shower, and when she got out of the shower, it was gone. We searched everywhere and couldn't find it. We went to the office and gave them a description of the watch and our phone number, and they told us they would call if it turned up.

Fortunately, her watch is also a cell phone. So I could easily track the location. I tracked it to a Costco parking lot, which is about 5 minutes from the gym. After driving to the parking lot, I called the police.

The police showed up in a surprisingly short amount of time. They didn't act threatening or weird. I explained the situation to them and they walked around the parking lot and the store trying to ping the watch. One of our strategies was to look at the bluetooth because bluetooth would connect if we were standing next to the watch. At one point, bluetooth actually connected. However there were too many people around us for us to locate the watch in spite of this.

I got a couple calls from a detective who said he was trying to look at the gym security cameras. I didn't think this would help much, but I was really impressed that the police were actively following up on the case. In my experience with the police this has literally never happened.

My sister was very upset about losing her watch. She got so upset that when I tried to drive out of the Costco parking lot after searching for over an hour, she jumped out of the car while it was still moving because she didn't want to give up on the watch. I told her the police would continue searching for the watch and that seemed to calm her down, but me and my parents also told her we should give up because the watch probably won't come back. My parents bought her a new one. She kept insisting that we call the Costco lost and found and my Mom told her it was pointless.

A week ago my family went on a trip to Amsterdam. While on that trip, my sister got a phone call in the middle of the night (normal business hours in American time). It was the detective. He said they found her watch and had it in their possession. Interestingly they found it in the Costco lost and found, so my sister was right all along.

My guess is the thief realized they can't unlock the watch without the password so the watch was unusable, and they left it at Costco. The watch has a feature which allows you to put a message on the screen when it's in lost mode. At one point I updated the message to say the police are searching Costco. This might have scared them.

A lot of people are upset that I don't expect the police to do a good job, but I have a lot of experiences with the police not doing their job. So I'm really impressed that they put so much effort into trying to find this watch and succeeded. Today I'm going to drive over to the police department and pick up the watch.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jun 04, 2019 5:50 am

My steel-toed shoes came in at work last Thursday!
Spoiler: show
IMG_1426.JPG
the pants are specifically for work
IMG_1426.JPG (675.23 KiB) Viewed 5892 times

About two weeks ago, regarding a work ID badge, I wrote:
iMURDAu wrote:I guess you just need to..... badge-r them about it.

I actually did today, and they said they give them out once you’ve been there for a month (which I have, as of this week), so I should be getting one soon.

I got sick of asking security(?) guards at the sign-in desk who kept telling me that’s a security thing (so... not them, somehow...), and asked the same guy who ordered my shoes and seems to be in charge of almost everything. He said he thought I had a badge already, and that he’s going to get it straightened out.

I’m not sure if I should be offended that I’m this forgettable to them, concerned that they’re this disorganized, or happy that I'm one step closer to being treated like I actually work there. I'm trying to focus on the third option, along with the fact that I won't have to walk halfway around the building after I park just to get inside.

Oh, and there's the option for four extra hours of work every day this week. The money will be nice.

**Friday edit: I GOT A BADGE!!!!!!!! A guy I work with (not the one mentioned above) finally convinced the security guard on duty (AKA the guy at the aforementioned desk) to make me one. Now I won’t have to make a Family Circus-esque path around the building to get in and out, or wait for someone else to let me inside different rooms so I can do my job.

Oh, and I found out that the guy mentioned in the original post is kind of a bullshitter. So that’s good to know.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext