Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby Marcuse » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:10 pm

cmsellers wrote:Friday I tried to go to Corpus Christi and had car troubles that made me waste three hours and fucked a lot of other stuff up too. But there was a bright side to all of this.

In Nixon City, a truck was just sitting at a four-way intersection, not moving, for five minutes. I was right by a Lowe's, which is a Central Texas grocery chain, not the hardware store. So I went in to use the background, saw three brands of sausage I had never seen, and got a package of each to try. Two of them are some of the best sausages I have ever had.

Apparently there is a specific kind of central Texas sausage called Czech sausage, and it is fantastic. And I only tried two or three brands, there's apparently a ton more I haven't tried yet. I need to get on that.

So...you're saying we should Czech it out?

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:40 pm

Marcuse wrote:
cmsellers wrote:Friday I tried to go to Corpus Christi and had car troubles that made me waste three hours and fucked a lot of other stuff up too. But there was a bright side to all of this.

In Nixon City, a truck was just sitting at a four-way intersection, not moving, for five minutes. I was right by a Lowe's, which is a Central Texas grocery chain, not the hardware store. So I went in to use the background, saw three brands of sausage I had never seen, and got a package of each to try. Two of them are some of the best sausages I have ever had.

Apparently there is a specific kind of central Texas sausage called Czech sausage, and it is fantastic. And I only tried two or three brands, there's apparently a ton more I haven't tried yet. I need to get on that.

So...you're saying we should Czech it out?

Only if you're Hungary!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Kivutar » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:23 am

I dunno, I'm still full from the Turkey on the weekend...

Spoiler: show

Then the LORD said to me, "Go again, love a woman who is loved by her husband, yet an adulteress, even as the LORD loves the sons of Israel, though they turn to other gods and love raisin cakes."

Hosea 3:1
Kivutar
Champion
Champion

Show rep
Title: Great Librarian

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:40 pm

My mom talked to someone today whose son needs a math tutor, and passed along my information. I got a call earlier, and now I (probably) will have a part-time job tutoring for the forseeable future. It was only after I hung up that I found out I could’ve charged twice as much as what I said, but I don’t care.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby cmsellers » Wed Oct 24, 2018 5:22 am

I finally set up a VPN.

At last, I can commit treason and no one can catch me!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:52 am

I officially have a job. It pays less than I was hoping to make, has little to do with what I’d like to get into, and the work week runs from (I think) Thursday to Monday, but it pays more than minimum wage, so whatever. Orientation will be tomorrow morning.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Nov 01, 2018 1:44 am

I refuse to set up a VPN. I'm a pirate and I want it known!

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:14 am

NathanLoiselle wrote:I refuse to set up a VPN. I'm a pirate and I want it known!

Arrrre you assuming I'm a pirate because I have parrots?

That's stereotyping, matey!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 01, 2018 7:00 am

jbobsully11 wrote:I officially have a job. It pays less than I was hoping to make, has little to do with what I’d like to get into, and the work week runs from (I think) Thursday to Monday, but it pays more than minimum wage, so whatever. Orientation will be tomorrow morning.

My god, finally That's awesome, jbob!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 9:03 am

Congratulations JBob!

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby sunglasses » Thu Nov 01, 2018 3:36 pm

JamishT wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I officially have a job. It pays less than I was hoping to make, has little to do with what I’d like to get into, and the work week runs from (I think) Thursday to Monday, but it pays more than minimum wage, so whatever. Orientation will be tomorrow morning.

...I better start keeping track of the obits

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 01, 2018 6:07 pm

JamishT wrote:

I know, right? Thanks Jamish and Ladki!

Today went well. I thought we might actually start doing stuff today, but they just went over safety stuff and let us leave after about three hours.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Nov 05, 2018 5:06 pm

I was driving in a different part of Austin and a flock of feral parrots flew right over my head. So cute. Much daawww.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:44 pm

Feral parrots? Don't parrots eat, like, tropical fruit?

All we get around here are feral cats.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Nov 06, 2018 1:04 am

Most parrots in the wild predominately eat nuts and other seeds, though most species also cannot subsist entirely on seeds and need a balanced diet which includes fruit, buds, and insects as well. All feral parrot flocks in the US were were established in the middle of the twentieth century, when importing wild parrots was still legal and whole flocks would escape after trucks overturned or storms damaged pet shops. Most members of the feral flocks also descend from these birds, though occasionally a released pet will join a flock and manage to survive.

The feral parrots in most of the US, including Austin, are Quaker parrots, which come from the Argentine pampas, a subtropical climate similar to the Southern US. They live in cities and occasionally suburbs in the US, where they feast upon shrubberies and other delicacies. I have seen them in Austin and New Orleans, while my aunt has seen them in Narragansett, Rhode Island. They live in several other urban areas as well, including New York, San Antonio, and Dallas.

A handful of US cities have populations of feral parrots which are not Quakers, though I have never managed to see them. These include canary-winged parakeets in Miami (Miami and Los Angeles each have several species, but there's a Publix with canary-wings I've heard but not seen), cherry-headed conures in San Francisco, and peach-faced lovebirds in Scottsdale. And many feral flocks have or had individuals of other species as well. San Antonio's flock, for example, has an Indian ringneck parakeet (the dominant species in feral flocks in Europe) and a nanday conure.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

PreviousNext