Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby cmsellers » Sun Jul 01, 2018 6:08 am

Oh, something good that happened for me today: I finally got fresh "sugar figs" from a local farmstand, after missing out two years in a row.

Two summers ago, I went by in August, when figs came into supermarkets, and they had figs, but they were very mildly flavored and are meant to be used in cooking. I was told that the "sugar figs" are a June-July product.

Last summer I checked in in May and was told they wouldn't have any until July. So I checked in literally the first week of July, and they'd come early and been gone for about two weeks. They did have some frozen ones, but it's not the same as fresh figs.

Today, I finally managed to get there while the sugar figs were in season. I got a pound and a half and ate them all today. My only regret is not getting more. I wasn't sure how quickly they'd go bad, but I realized I wouldn't have had the time for that to be an issue.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Australia » Mon Jul 02, 2018 1:29 am

My stepsister had a son a few months ago. I was expecting a girl which is good, because I actually got to say "That's it. No more Mr Niece Guy", which amused everyone. Well, it amused me.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 02, 2018 10:07 pm

Another fruit-related boon:
I saw Fredricksburg peaches for sale by the opposite side of South Pleasant Valley Rd., coming back from San Antonio during rush hour. So today I went back in not-rush-hour and got some. They have a somewhat nutmeg-y taste, which I'm not used to in fresh peaches, but I like. Best part, though, is that they're freestone peaches, which means I can eat them with a knife instead of my face over the sink.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Sat Jul 14, 2018 1:52 am

I started my new job today. It's a babysitting job, and I've done babysitting before, but this is different. It's all day every week day for two weeks. I have to pay attention to a 3 year old and a 6 year old the entire time, which is really exhausting. The pay is good but that's not why I'm doing it. The main reason I took this job is because I want to learn how to be responsible, show up somewhere on time, and complete a task. These skills are missing from my life and I will need them if I want to move out and be self-sufficient.

In the morning I walked with the kids to the playground, and stood there while they played, which was the easiest part of my day. After that I took them to a restaurant and they managed to do a lot of things wrong, like pour salt in their mouth. Then we went to another park and they got into some conflicts over nothing, then I had to make the 3 year old return a toy he found at the park because it's not his. We got back home and I was so exhausted I let myself get distracted by the internet, and the kids got into the popsicles and tried to eat them even though they weren't frozen yet. Overall though it was a good experience and not too difficult. The mother said she would much rather work with me than a stranger. She knows me from my Pokemon Go group, and she didn't even interview me for the babysitting job or anything, she just accepted me despite having other potential sitters she was looking into (she interviewed them). I fear she thinks I am more competent than I really am because I'm much more competent at Pokemon than I am at other things. Regardless if this works out it will prepare me for my first "real" job at the movie theater in a few weeks, and hopefully prepare me to have the discipline to be a freelance artist soon enough.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 14, 2018 12:12 pm

Tesseracts wrote:I started my new job today. It's a babysitting job, and I've done babysitting before, but this is different. It's all day every week day for two weeks. I have to pay attention to a 3 year old and a 6 year old the entire time, which is really exhausting. The pay is good but that's not why I'm doing it. The main reason I took this job is because I want to learn how to be responsible, show up somewhere on time, and complete a task. These skills are missing from my life and I will need them if I want to move out and be self-sufficient.

In the morning I walked with the kids to the playground, and stood there while they played, which was the easiest part of my day. After that I took them to a restaurant and they managed to do a lot of things wrong, like pour salt in their mouth. Then we went to another park and they got into some conflicts over nothing, then I had to make the 3 year old return a toy he found at the park because it's not his. We got back home and I was so exhausted I let myself get distracted by the internet, and the kids got into the popsicles and tried to eat them even though they weren't frozen yet. Overall though it was a good experience and not too difficult. The mother said she would much rather work with me than a stranger. She knows me from my Pokemon Go group, and she didn't even interview me for the babysitting job or anything, she just accepted me despite having other potential sitters she was looking into (she interviewed them). I fear she thinks I am more competent than I really am because I'm much more competent at Pokemon than I am at other things. Regardless if this works out it will prepare me for my first "real" job at the movie theater in a few weeks, and hopefully prepare me to have the discipline to be a freelance artist soon enough.

Movie theater? Awesome, what's going to be your role?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:03 am

I had a job interview today, and it went really well. I talked to three people, and they seemed to like my experience. The only thing I may have screwed up was not sending my references with the thank-you e-mail, after I told them that I pay close attention to detail. But I did send them later on.

Also, I’m almost moved into my mom’s basement... which will be, in an ironic(?) way, a step up from my current bedroom.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Kate » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:55 am

BenHome.jpg
BenHome.jpg (102.24 KiB) Viewed 5471 times

Born safe and sound! We're home and we're both doing just fine! His older brother is maybe a little unsure what to make of the situation XD

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Jul 19, 2018 1:59 pm

Kate wrote:
BenHome.jpg

Born safe and sound! We're home and we're both doing just fine! His older brother is maybe a little unsure what to make of the situation XD

This throphy is for you, congratulations on the latest addition to your wolf pack.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Australia » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:08 pm

There's, like, every animal except for a sheep in that picture. Trying to avoid pushing species-norms so early into infanthood?

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:27 pm

The Austin Public Library has changed their system so that books you have checked out on their due date will attempt to automatically renew. As someone who accumulated about eight dollars in fines because I forgot to renew before midnight during a severe avoidant phase, I am happy that the library is putting helping people before getting money from fines.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Jul 21, 2018 12:38 pm

Despite suffering from a brunt of social isolation I have restarted my thought processes and perhaps things might pick up again, not socially of course but mentally I have found some things to stimulate the demands of my brain so I don't lapse into boredom when I have free time.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jul 25, 2018 11:10 pm

I had a job interview today, and I think it went well (he wrote for the thousandth time). Despite the fact that it was pouring rain most of the way over, I got there more or less on time. They seemed to really like my experience, and they’re a lot closer than the other place.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Thu Jul 26, 2018 3:45 am

Aren't they always closer than the "other" place?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jul 27, 2018 5:51 am

This exists and it is awesome. Too bad it seems to be a one-off thing.

"Zack Woods' Tips for Surviving in the Woods"

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jul 27, 2018 9:46 am

CarrieVS wrote:I've been keeping an anxious eye on a pair of ducks that were nesting on a river I cross on my way to work. (Not the main river my city is on but a small one that flows into it.)
I'm happy to say, on my way home today, I spotted a female duck in the water some way downstream of the nest - with eleven tiny balls of fuzz, obviously very recently hatched.

So that was almost three months ago.
Now, the normal course of things is for baby ducklings to have a very high mortality rate - that's why they have large broods, after all. So I was ready to be pleasantly surprised if this mother raised even half of those little ones.

The count did slip from eleven little fuzzies to ten within a week, but after that she kept all of them safe and well for week after week after week.

I can't tell you for certain if they're all still around, because I can't tell them from the other adult ducks on the river any more, but the last time I saw them all together with mum, essentially adult ducks, all ten youngsters were present and correct!

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

PreviousNext