Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:17 am

I stayed three hours late at work today to help make up for the fact that I'm off tomorrow. Not that I really need it; I'm getting five paychecks this month. Second shift seems very disorganized compared to first.

On my way home, I got a handle of spiced rum for less than half what I expected to pay.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Jan 01, 2021 3:05 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:I stayed three hours late at work today to help make up for the fact that I'm off tomorrow. Not that I really need it; I'm getting five paychecks this month. Second shift seems very disorganized compared to first.

On my way home, I got a handle of spiced rum for less than half what I expected to pay.

But did you pick up any Canadian Whisky? Inquiring minds need to know.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:37 pm

Nope.

Does it taste anything like any other kind of whisky/ey? Because if I'm going to taste smoke, I might as well eat smoked meat (or start smoking).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Jan 02, 2021 3:30 am

Mixed with coca-cola it tastes like vanilla.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:15 pm

One of my bosses gave me a badge and username/password to log into the computer I use at work. Then he took the badge back because he couldn't get it to scan. I'm still not permanent, but it feels like a half-step in the right direction.

Oh, and three relatives (my mom, her sister, and one of her sisters-in-law) got the first dose of the COVID vaccine.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Tue Feb 02, 2021 12:25 am

I started my new job today at a large construction/home improvement supply company that is in the middle of Amish country. I am joining their CAD department and will have my own desk and cubicle for the first time in my work life, but the first week or so will be spent learning about every department and familiarizing myself with the company. Then I will be learning CAD as one of the guys prepares to retire in May, so I'm hoping it will be a smooth transition! The only downsides so far are the 45 minute commute and the fact that 80% of the workers are Amish or Mennonite so it's a religious company. But the good parts are that they pay more, they share company profits with the employees every 6 months, I get 2 weeks paid vaca immediately, they put coworkers over customers, and I see it as a possible career.

Also, I was given a puppy! He was from a breeder who couldn't sell him (because he's male?), and is very energetic and smart (for a dog) which makes him hard to manage sometimes. So I named him Michael, because human names for dogs are funny and I can feel like David Wallace from The Office telling Michael Scott what to do. He's also hilarious and makes me laugh deeply every day, just like The Office.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:24 pm

What program are you using for CAD?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:21 am

Solid Edge. It looks complicated af, but I think I can master it!

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Feb 16, 2021 12:44 am

I made hopefully keto-friendly chocolate coconut macaroons.

Since macaroons (even coconut macaroons) require sugar for structural reasons, I used isomalt, which is similar structurally to sugar but largely indigestible and far less sweet.

Taste and texture-wise, they appear to have turned out fantastic.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:44 pm

My car's odometer hit 55555 miles on the way home from work yesterday, and I got a picture of it. I found that extremely satisfying, especially since I missed 54321 because my brother was driving my car then.

As I type this, it occurs to me that I should probably post this in "a boring and dull thread" instead, but screw it.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:30 pm

Hell no! That's awesome. You're a moderator; maybe you can move every other post into a "boring and dull thread" and leave just yours here. That's how good it is.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:24 pm

I'm officially scheduled to get the first microchip engineered genes shot of the COVID vaccine this coming Saturday morning. I got a text after work today, and scheduled it then.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Apr 01, 2021 1:45 am

I got my first dose a couple hours ago.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Apr 03, 2021 4:15 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:I'm officially scheduled to get the first microchip engineered genes shot of the COVID vaccine this coming Saturday morning. I got a text after work today, and scheduled it then.

I just got it a couple of hours ago. I then spent another hour looking for my car because malls are evil I suck. I took Advil before I went, and my arm doesn't hurt much at all.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Apr 05, 2021 11:25 pm

We took advantage of the fact that there's a pharmacy at the store we work at. You'd be surprised how many people cancel their vaccine appointments. Oh what am I saying you wouldn't be shocked at all. So if you know anyone who is the spontaneous type they can call around to local pharmacies and see if anyone cancelled their appointment. Apparently they have to discard the doses after a certain time once they're prepped. The same day my wife asked about being on the backup list we got our first doses. That was last week.

Humans are so poorly designed. You can punch me in the arm and it'll be sore the next day. But if you poke me with a teeny widdle itty bitty boop in the muscle there... tomorrow I can't raise my arm above my head without pain. Like, excuse me?

Also my son won a Citizenship Award from his school. It's only given to two kids in each grade and is based on modeling good behavior to other students. He's adapted to online schooling really well. We got him a desk and gaming chair just before the pandemic hit and that's obviously helped a lot. Couldn't be more proud. He's taken to learning outside of school. He started asking me questions about World War II one day and it's like dude.... you've got google. They did a unit on the Revolutionary War last week and his teacher was surprised he knew so much about it. My son tells me "well I knew all that from 2 videos that the other kids could watch but oooooo there's baaaaaad words". I told him if he hears the word fuck when he's learning the only thing that matters is he's learning.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext