Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby CarrieVS » Sun Jun 16, 2019 10:51 pm

A few weeks after I moved into my new house, I started working on the garden. I mowed the lawn, and I weeded a little bit of flowerbed that I found out there. I left one plant in the bed: it didn't look established enough to have been grown on purpose by the previous occupants, but I wasn't sure what it was and it wasn't definitely a weed so I didn't pull it up.

Then I had to stop gardening for a month because the garden waste wheely bin was full and I couldn't arrange with the council to empty it until last week (because reasons.) So I went out there yesterday to start working on tidying it up again, and not only had that little twig grown a bit, but it had a flower on it. It's only a beautiful red rose!

So I have a rosebush.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Twistappel » Wed Jun 26, 2019 10:27 pm

After being sick for over a month, today is the first time in weeks that I haven't:
  • Immediately reached for a packet of painkillers as soon as I woke up;
  • Experienced pain when talking/swallowing/breathing; or
  • Generally felt like crap.

- and honestly, just feeling normal is so good it should be one of those "Sure, sex is good but..." memes.

You say "New World Order" "communist echo chamber" like it's a bad thing.

The TCSer formerly known as "Sister Morphine’
Twistappel
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Failed the Turing Test

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:07 am

I've long thought that "herbal teas" without caffeine are incredibly dumb; I didn't see the point to drinking plant water if it didn't have caffeine. After a recent experience which taught me that I cannot, in fact, drink large amounts of black tea at night, combined with the fact that I'm intermittent fasting and don't consume anything with calories at night, I finally see the point.

So I've tried a bunch of herbal teas. The best, by far, is rooibos. Holy fuck is this stuff delicious. I think I like it better than any black tea of comparable or cheaper price, except cheaper grades of lapsang souchang, which is kind of cheating since there it's the smoke flavor that I really like.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 30, 2019 1:17 am

HEB sells a brand of tea called "Vinis," which mostly sells kinds of tea I recognize, like gunpowder green and English breakfast, but they had something I'd never seen called "golden oolong."

I'm not a big fan of oolongs, but it mentioned Wuyi Mountain, home of lapsang souchang, and that plus the two dollar price tag (for twenty bags) persuaded me to try it. It seems to be smoked, like lapsang souchang, though when I googled it, it seems like HEB is the main supplier of this. There is a Wuyi oolong tea called "golden marine turtle," but I'm pretty sure this is not the same thing. Whatever it is though, it's good and wicked cheap for a tea that comes in teabags.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Windy » Tue Aug 06, 2019 8:28 pm

Someday humans will go extinct.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Aug 07, 2019 12:07 am

Shelly Seagal has got you covered, Windy.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:19 am

I no longer work at Target! I put in my two weeks about a week and a half ago, but management is full of petty cowards so my last day was today. BUT I'M FREE FROM RETAIL! I'm going to be the night auditor at a hotel, and my hourly wage will go down by a dollar, but with 40 hours a week I'll take home more than I usually do. It's a Monday - Friday, 11pm-7am job where I'll be alone for most, if not all, of the time, which sounds fantastic. Plus, I have a week until training starts, so I look forward to chilling the absolute heck out starting now.

Also, when I turned in my two weeks, I gave the HR rep a sympathy card that said something about "The loss of a great man is very difficult" or something like that.

(Also also, I 100% bought the new TSwift album after my shift yesterday)

Last edited by JamishT on Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Switched the AM and PM
JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Absentia » Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:44 am

Congrats! I would kill to have an 11-7 schedule.

Just out of curiosity: what is a "night auditor"? Is it an accounting thing?

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:11 am

No, from what I understand the "auditor" part refers to sending end of day reports to corporate, but I will also be watching security cameras, late check-ins, setting up the continental breakfast, and other such things.

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:43 pm

Congrats Jamish! Have fun this week, and good luck at your new job! <3 be sure to tell us how your first day went!

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby cmsellers » Sun Aug 25, 2019 4:32 pm

Tebrikler, Jamish!

When I saw "night auditor," I read it as 11 PM - 7 AM, but 11 AM - PM sounds like the perfect schedule.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Mon Aug 26, 2019 12:05 am

cmsellers wrote:Tebrikler, Jamish!

When I saw "night auditor," I read it as 11 PM - 7 AM, but 11 AM - PM sounds like the perfect schedule.

Oh! Uh. It's actually 11pm - 7am, which is perfect for me, because I stay up until 5am every day anyway

JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep

Postby Australia » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:33 am

I don't know how your new bosses will feel about you always sleeping through the last two hours of your shift.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby cmsellers » Thu Sep 12, 2019 5:22 pm

I finally got the meds I know help, somewhat, two weeks ago. One of which is a new class of antidepressant, which I remember improving my mood slightly last time I was on it, and which in insurance didn't want to cover because it's new and expensive but I finally got them to cover.

"Helps somewhat" is way better than other antidepressants, whose effects ranged from "makes all the symptoms of depression worse" and "increases anxiety" through "doesn't seem to affect my mood but fucks up my sleep" all the way to "doesn't seem to be doing anything, for good or bad." Which is why I spent so much time trying to get this one again.

Well, I've been on it for about three weeks. And initially, I was only noticing the negative side effects. It wreaks havoc on almost the entire length of my GI tract for the first two weeks, and though I remember it improving after about two weeks last time, as it did this time, I've still been getting frequent indigestion this past week, and still am. I hadn't noticed any mood effects and was thinking "if my indigestion doesn't improve, I'll go off this one too."

But then, earlier this week, I realized that one of what I thought was my weakest points actually wasn't that weak in a professional setting. And today, I realized it's actually a strong point in a professional setting. All my life, I've been looking at one failure in eighth grade as proof that I'm shitty at that. To paraphrase Harry Chapin Carpenter in "Mr. Tanner": I did not see how well I did, I just saw the flaws.

And earlier this week, I was freaking out, because I went to a panel on the line of work I'm trying to get into, and everyone without a postgraduate degree had taken like a year to learn this stuff. And I was freaking out, because after grad school, I didn't spend a year learning this stuff. But today, I realized that I already knew all the stuff they said they spent a year teaching themselves, because I spent a year before grad school learning this stuff.

It feels like I've spent my life wearing dirt-colored glasses which I've suddenly taken off.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Absentia » Sat Sep 14, 2019 11:27 am

Man, I remember when I finally found an antidepressant that really works for me. It's like getting handed the keys to a new life. Mine gives me nosebleeds, light sensitivity, and dry mouth, and I wouldn't stop taking it for anything. It's great to hear that things are working out for you.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext