Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:41 pm

Guys, you're being super hurtful.

I thought you all knew that Tess is really a lifesized human shaped firework. Do you think she enjoys seeing her kin explode?

Well, yeah, probably but me more sensitive to her plight.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby mancityfooty » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:11 pm

fourth weekend in a row spent in a town I never thought I'd ever go to again: that wonderful Joplin, MO.
the kids are really warming up to me. they each want me in a separate room to play video games with them.
and we found out how strong the margaritas are at the Mexican place up the street.
to earn my keep, I replaced a faucet in the laundry room bathroom.
I was well paid for my labor.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jan 09, 2018 1:33 am

I started a new job recently, and I now work down by the river. I was walking in this morning and I got down onto the quayside. The air was still, the water was so calm that the bridges and boats were all perfectly reflected; the sun was shining but wisps of fog were just starting to gather, about a foot off the surface, and a pair of cormorants were fishing in the mist.

At that moment I didn't care that my ears had almost frozen off because I thought, mistakenly, that it wouldn't be cold enough to want a hat. That was just beautiful.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby sunglasses » Wed Jan 10, 2018 6:47 pm

I saved a life today!

It was a little brown bat.

Somehow, it had fallen into my neighbor's sink. It was a steel sink, and the walls were too smooth for the little guy to climb out. The neighbor found it when she went to put a dish in the sink. My husband had gone to take the dog out and she asked him if he could get the bat out. He, instead, got me the designated getter of things out of houses. Plus he knows I love bats.

I asked if she had a shoe box, she didn't. So I grabbed one and a fuzzy hat I had. If the sink was big enough, i was going to put the box in front of him and let him climb in.

The sink wasn't big enough.

So I put the fuzzy hat in front of him and the little guy happily climbed in. I put the hat in the box and walked out into the yard. I then opened the box and angled box and hat towards the tree. Little guy climbed right out and started stretching his wings to dry them so he could fly.

I'm glad I read on various bat conservation web sites years ago about using a shoe box and tree or I wouldn't have known they can't take off from the ground. We had a grateful neighbor and a very happy bat today.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:55 pm

I had a phone interview a little while ago, and I think it went really well. I should find out if I'll be getting a real interview next week, but the guy seemed to like me. They use a drafting program that I kind of hate with a fiery passion and think should be wiped off the face of the Earth am sure I will learn to love, but he said they're not necessarily looking for an expert.

unrelated next-day edit to avoid double-posting: Today my mom finished a two-day workshop (that her school paid for her to attend) about 3-D printers at a government facility, and they showed her a bunch of really cool military stuff that apparently isn’t classified. It was at the same location that the aforementioned interview was for, but with a different company. The guy who was running the workshop wants my resume.

They also gave her a printer and filament, and told her not to tell the school.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Jan 18, 2018 2:53 pm

So my wife had a late work meeting last night and ended up coming home around 9:30pm. There was a hard freeze last night, and the temperature was down in the 20s.

When she pulled up our street, a little dog followed her car. When she opened the front door, the dog followed her in. We weren't sure if it was a stray or not.

It was kind of shaggy, and while not dirty, the dog was kind of smelly. She had a collar, but the tag was a thing from the humane society saying she had been spayed and vaccinated. Sometimes strays will be fixed and then released. Or she could have been dumped.

Since this was the coldest night of the year so far, we were prepared to let her stay the night. We have a cat, and I like dogs, but I wasn't really in a position to take her in permanently. I gave her a bath, and she ate some of my cat's food.

My wife made a post on Nextdoor (a social media app tied to your home address, where you can communicate with your neighbors), and fortunately the owner responded. The dog escaped out of their backyard in the dark about three streets away, and they were looking for her in the opposite direction.

So it all worked out in the end. They were relieved, and so were we.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby SandTea » Sun Jan 21, 2018 2:49 am

CarrieVS wrote:I started a new job recently, and I now work down by the river.

Are you a motivational speaker? Perhaps with a van?

Don't watch much more than the first few seconds. Just making the reference.

Things that are good... Oh, someone called in a favor that was easy to get done. One thing off my list.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:01 pm

I had a job interview this morning, and I think it went pretty well, despite the fact that I initially tried to go through the wrong entrance and spent more than half an hour trying to find the right one (it's a military research complex; my interviewers didn't seem to mind). I should know by the end of the week if I got the job.

I also have an interview tomorrow morning for a less desirable position, and supposedly they'll let me know at the end of the interview if they want me to work for them. So this will be interesting...

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:26 pm

good luck :)

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:13 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:I had a job interview this morning, and I think it went pretty well, despite the fact that I initially tried to go through the wrong entrance and spent more than half an hour trying to find the right one (it's a military research complex; my interviewers didn't seem to mind). I should know by the end of the week if I got the job.

I also have an interview tomorrow morning for a less desirable position, and supposedly they'll let me know at the end of the interview if they want me to work for them. So this will be interesting...

So they're researching exploding Teddy Ruxpins?

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jan 23, 2018 10:27 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:I had a job interview this morning, and I think it went pretty well, despite the fact that I initially tried to go through the wrong entrance and spent more than half an hour trying to find the right one (it's a military research complex; my interviewers didn't seem to mind). I should know by the end of the week if I got the job.

So they're researching exploding Teddy Ruxpins?

If they were, that would be classified.

Also, I just got a text from the recruiter for the other job saying they have to reschedule. Hopefully I’ll get this one and won’t have to go there at all.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Feb 02, 2018 3:11 am

Technically a double post.

My sister and her husband closed on their house today. They threatened to walk at the last minute because the sellers didn’t want to pay for something to be fixed, but it was all worked out in the end. Soon, I’ll move into the basement and roughly quadruple my storage space.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Feb 02, 2018 11:31 am

Only good thing I can say is that I feel country music with passion again.

HANK WILLIAMS- ALONE AND FORSAKEN
Hip-Hop and rap got nothing on this magic.

Spoiler: show
*Ponders briefly for a moment*
Hmm... Might try to grow out a beard again instead of just an moustache since I got nothing else going for me, maybe if I walk around with my youngest dog (the other is... she can't walk much no more) people might offer me spare change.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Feb 08, 2018 6:07 am

DoglovingJim wrote:Only good thing I can say is that I feel country music with passion again.

HANK WILLIAMS- ALONE AND FORSAKEN
Hip-Hop and rap got nothing on this magic.

Spoiler: show
*Ponders briefly for a moment*
Hmm... Might try to grow out a beard again instead of just an moustache since I got nothing else going for me, maybe if I walk around with my youngest dog (the other is... she can't walk much no more) people might offer me spare change.

On the brighter side as a result of me cramming several days of full-on studying (and nagging you guys on random thoughts and IRC) I was able to successfully relearn things such as trigonometry, Pythagoras, abstract reasoning and patterns etc which I either never knew nor attempted in years.

And as a result I passed an entry aptitude test, I am now 1/4 of the way to being able to find some purpose in life and be happy again.

Jimmy Jones- Good Timin

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Absentia » Thu Feb 08, 2018 3:56 pm

I sure miss the days when being good at trigonometry was a useful skill. It's bad enough to peak in high school, but I peaked in high school math class.

Oh, uh, good things. Well, I talked to a financial guy yesterday about my inheritance and I'm feeling more financially secure than I have in a long time. I'm going to have an actual retirement account and everything.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext