Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Discussion, in general

Re: Looking on the Brighter Side, Things that are good

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:30 pm

I got a promotion! It's not a whole lot more than what I'm making now, but it will (hopefully) be less stressful, plus that department allows for better potential for future promotions.

The only downside is I have to wait another month before I start in that position.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:51 am

My sister is in the process of birthing her aforementioned sprog. Her contractions started this morning. She and her husband came over here before I went to work, but now they seem to be in the hospital with my mom.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby JamishT » Thu Oct 31, 2019 6:50 am

I know I'm several years late, but I just won a Fortnite match for the first time, because with the new chapter I'm suddenly good? Or maybe all the good players have quit, either way, I feel mildly accomplished now.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Sun Nov 24, 2019 1:00 am

I’m flying back to NE for Thanksgiving. Which, it’s great to see people, but I hate air travel so much.

However today, I saw a bat flying around in the terminal. Which I guess was great for me, though probably not so good for the bat. OTOH, the bats are usually hibernating or in Mexico this time of year, so it must have found food in addition to a warm place to overwinter.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby cmsellers » Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:30 pm

I have a new computer, which on one hand, new computer, OTOH, I would have just preferred the old one to keep working and it's a PITA to setup. (First World problems, amirite?) However one particularly annoying step is now unnecessary: my two favorite fonts have been added by default to the OS.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Nov 28, 2019 6:10 am

I just got back from a few days in Ohio to celebrate Thanksgiving with my family. Not only did I get a Thanksgiving meal two days in a row (first with my mom and brothers, the next with my cousins), I now have like 8 pounds of cheese from Amish country in my fridge!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby iMURDAu » Sat Nov 30, 2019 12:08 am

My sister had a baby this past Sunday the 24th. Ten years to the day after my son was born. How cool is that?

We stopped to see them on the way to Thanksgiving dinner, spent almost an hour hanging out. His name is Felix which is something my sister and her husband picked out prior to finding out it was a family name. Apparently (cue "thousands of years ago" robot from ATHF) generations ago there was a Felix and he had a Junior. I'm almost 40 and everyone in my generation finds this out a couple of months ago like it was common knowledge. None of our parents or grandparents ever mentioned a Felix. To anyone born after the 60's at least. So that's two coincidences.

My brother-in-law had accrued enough vacation time to take off the entirety of December so they all get to bond for a while. First doctor appointment was today. My sister had him at home because she has this idea that the hospital is where sick people go and she's not sick she's having a baby. My counter is of course that medical professionals are clustered in one area for the sake of convenience to the community and your average bacterial infection sufferer doesn't usually get treated in the maternity ward. *shrug* It all worked out.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby cmsellers » Sat Nov 30, 2019 1:49 am

This isn't much compared to MURDA's thing, but I checked in on Southwest and got in the A boarding group for both legs for the first time in a long time. If you fly Southwest a lot out of a non-hub airport, you'll realize both how awesome this is and how rare it is to get A on all legs of a multi-leg flight.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:26 pm

My company holiday party was today. It was nice overall, though a bit weird seeing some of the people who entered the ugly sweater contest wearing... anything but their uniforms, actually, but especially sweaters. They raffled off gift bags, but I didn’t win one. I left when people started getting really into the karaoke machine.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Dec 15, 2019 12:54 am

I feel like a karaoke machine would be the only reason for me to attend an office party. I also feel like, if I were at an office party with a karaoke machine, I would feel an overwhelming need to sing "My Heart Will Go On," even though I kind of hate that song and crooning songs with large shifts in vocal range are the king of songs I'm the absolute worst at singing. (And I'm not a good singer to begin with.) So while I disagree with your decision to leave early, I entirely understand it.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:55 am

I think the level of drunkenness I’d need to get to in order to want to sing on one specifically by myself (but still around other people) is incompatible with an office party or with driving home afterward. A few of my coworkers and I were trying to come up with songs we could sing in groups, but in the end, most of us didn’t bother. On a related note, I learned that this song has more lyrics than just “this is how we do it.”

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:02 am

Weirdly, I get really self-conscious about things I know I do well, like writing and cooking. But singing—which I am absolutely terrible at—I embrace with abandon. I'd say it's Dunning-Kruger, except that I'm well aware I'm awful, I just don't care. I dance like nobody's watching and sing like nobody's listening.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:00 pm

I have a few karaoke songs that I'm willing to try, but they aren't really good for karaoke, and as a result I have never sung karaoke in my life. I am also blessed with the sort of flat, tuneless bellow that could ruin a football chant, so it's absolutely fine for everyone that I refuse to do karaoke.

The one time I did it, with friends, there wasn't an actual karaoke machine and we just used YouTube, so I was finally able to do Rap God. No actual singing, just lots of reading and fast talking, both of which I can do just fine. It was perfect for me.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:43 pm

So, I've been experimenting with nut barks, because it's Christmas and I'm seeing them everywhere, but commercial nut barks are not exactly keto-friendly.

I've been using this 85% chocolate and experimenting with different kinds of nuts, whole vs chopped nuts, nut:chocolate ratios, and adding salt for nuts that don't have enough of it. (You can't get salted hazelnuts, and you can't get salted peanuts without added sugar.)

By far, the best result has been my macadamia nut bark, made with a 2:1 nut:chocolate ratio by weight. The neighbors used to make for Christmas this thing where they lined a dish with butter crackers, poured toffee over the butter crackers (it would seep around and through the holes, completely coating them) and then poured chocolate over the toffee, to make a sort of cracker-toffee bark.

My macadamia nut bark reminds me of that cracker-toffee bark texture-wise, but without the extreme sweetness. Holy fuck do I love this stuff!

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 8:09 am

I had a job interview earlier, and at the risk of cursing myself, I think it went really well. The interviewers liked my education and experience, and they had me do a simple test (to dimension a part using digital calipers), which I think I did well on.

It's especially good, because today I found out that three of my coworkers are much more superstitious than I ever realized, and one of them is being moderately weird about the fact that I talk to other coworkers more than her. I'm about 30% sure she was kidding.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

PreviousNext