Stupid questions

Discussion, in general

Re: Stupid questions

Postby sunglasses » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:34 am

Aquila89 wrote:
I have a question: why do people close their eyes during kissing?

Because it's weird to keep your eyes open. Seriously, I've kissed with eyes open a couple times and couldn't stop giggling.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Matthew Notch » Sat Oct 19, 2013 3:49 am

You know Aquila, I'm pretty sure you are gonna break this thread with questions like that. I think that's a great question, myself.

I did a little research and came up with this site: http://www.nowforthesciencebit.com/your ... en-kissing. Of note, ten percent of humanity actually doesn't even kiss at all, which would seem to indicate that it's not something we're born with an instinct for. I like the idea that kissing at all came from the exchange of pheromones. I know I was super into this woman one time, and we kept on dancing around a relationship until one day it kind of all burst forth. I'll never forget what kissing her was like: she tasted a bit like pickles. Goes to show that there is something to be said for chemistry on a level other than intellectual curiosity; the relationship didn't work out.

As far as closing your eyes, though, I'll be honest: some of my best memories of kisses involved my eyes WIDE open. Case in point: the first true blue girlfriend I had, Cate (who looked a little like Orange looks now), was also the first girl I properly kissed. She had wonderfully soft lips, plus she is a genius and a brilliant artist, so there were all kinds of good things happening there. We met at the nature center for lunch a couple times, and I remember kissing her goodbye outside her car before she headed back to work, and intentionally opening my eyes just because kissing was all new to me, and I kind of wanted to experience it on all levels. I thought her face, with her eyes closed, engaged in a ritual as old as history, was one of the deepest things that could ever happen to me. It didn't end up working out; she was about six years older than me. Oh well.

I can understand, to a degree, that feeling of uneasiness, but I have never personally felt weird about opening my eyes during a kiss. As the linked article says, for many, their reasons for closing their eyes (or keeping them open) are likely to be as personal as their reasons for kissing in the first place.

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby JamesT » Sat Oct 19, 2013 2:40 pm

Aquila89 wrote:I have a question: why do people close their eyes during kissing?

I have a better question: how come people close their eyes whenever they look at you, and make retching noises?

Th... that doesn't just happen to me, right? Guys?

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby BobTheZombie » Sat Oct 19, 2013 6:51 pm

I already wrote a reply but for some reason I keep getting logged out if I have any extended period of in-activity, so if I read a page worth of comments, then spend about 5 minutes writing a reply, my reply is lost since I have to log back in. Why is that???

The closing your eyes kissing thing is simple. Imagine the awkwardness of maintaining eye-contact in conversation, then amplify it over a period of a few minutes. Also, if your eyes are open, you might spend more time focussing on the face of the one you're kissing and not their...mouth contents...*ahem*.

So, stupid questions? How do I post a reply on this site?

EDIT: I worked through it.

How come the 50 states of the USA were never classified as countries (since most of them are bigger than a lot of countries)? I don't think it's possible to pass a significant law nation-wide (like gun control) since all the states are so different.

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier!" - Virginia from Dragonzball P
BobTheZombie
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Pessimistic Optimist

Postby Sheepman » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:27 pm

That is something I have pondered as well; I somewhat doubt the effectiveness of trying to govern all 50 states with a single federal government. That is why there is State government as well, however. I believe that the whole reason we are a bunch of rather large states under one federal government was specifically to allow the states to do most of the governing themselves.

I think we have gotten away from that, unfortunately. Lots of people try to legislate what they want through the Federal government, and force it on all of the states. But it is what it is.

As for why they have never been classified as individual countries, they have always been governed by a single federal government, barring the Civil War. And, as indicated by the Civil War, when they try to leave the Union, the Union fights to keep them.

And a bit back there: I believe that people close their eyes while kissing partially as a sensory deprivation thing; You close your eyes, and it makes your sense of touch more sensitive. It's like how I close my eyes when I'm tasting something delicious for the first time. In addition, it's really uncomfortable to have your eyes so close to something that you cannot easily focus on, like right up against someone's face.

sunglasses wrote:Additionally, I'd like to add that I don't recommend leaving small children alone with Aviel. They may come back crying after being shown the odds that they were going to die horribly in the next 70 years.

I'm not trapped in here with you. You're trapped in here with me.
Sheepman
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: God'); DROP TABLE Students;--

Postby Overlord Moo » Sat Oct 19, 2013 7:47 pm

electricflamingo wrote:I cannot ask this question. My father-in-law would probably throw me in a river but he is a very staunch vegetarian....but he wears leather. Lot's of leather. Leather generally made from cows.

electricflamingo wrote:Leather generally made from cows.

electricflamingo wrote:Leather generally made from COWS.

Jaw drop.gif
Jaw drop.gif (193.16 KiB) Viewed 5896 times

6:54 Bert: Moo is so cool he wishes he could be someone else just so he could better understand what it is like to live in a world with Overlord Moo in it
9:46:06 PM GG If Moo goes oh my I know it means bad
<Strant> wig+wonderbra+Strant=Deeno
Overlord Moo
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Stolen Thunder

Postby Aquila89 » Sat Oct 19, 2013 8:06 pm

If we're at the US political system:

Why is that California, population 38 million, sends just as many people to the Senate as Wyoming, population 576 thousand?

What's the point of the Electoral College, and why does it make it possible that someone who didn't win the majority of the votes wins the election? Why can't just the guy who got the most votes be President?

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:17 am

Aquila89 wrote:If we're at the US political system:

Why is that California, population 38 million, sends just as many people to the Senate as Wyoming, population 576 thousand?

That's kind of the point of the Senate, to give the smaller states something of a fighting chance to influence things. If the people in the less-populated states were ignored all the time, they'd probably try to break away and we'd have some kind of civil war or someth- oh... right.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Australia » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:04 am

Okay, so I don't care about politics so I'm not interested in political excuses, but what is this 21st century obsession with identity? Specifically in terms of the term "immigrants". A century ago, even if we were more racist back then, if some people came fleeing in from overseas, they weren't our problem. They could do whatever they want, it's their lives. But now, we actively punish people for not having certificates or documentation because they mustn't exist. Now, I'm no "you can't own property, man" hippie but these imaginary barriers where "you stick to your country, we'll stick to ours" are ridiculous. Globalisation, my ass.

And a certainly stupid question, because the whole concept of racism is built without reason, but if rednecks hate all Muslims because of 9/11, shouldn't they hate all Americans as well, given that some of them kill each other every day?

And most important of all, it's 2013, how have they not made airline food edible yet? It's ludicrous.

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby LaoWai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:20 am

Australia wrote:And most important of all, it's 2013, how have they not made airline food edible yet? It's ludicrous.
My last flight was with Japan Air, and shockingly, the food was really good.There was a red-wine and tomato beef stew sort of thing served over egg noodles, with steamed vegetables, bread and butter, with a carrot cake dessert, for the first meal. The mid-flight snacks were a passable ham sandwich and a fruit bowl, then a cheese and veggie plate with mustard and wasabi dips. The 2nd meal was scrambled eggs, bacon and fried potatoes, along with a cup of apple sauce. Everything that should be hot was hot; everything that should be cold was cold; and everything tasted the way you'd expect it to, instead of like plastic. I wouldn't say it was exactly gourmet-level cooking, but it was pretty good.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby CleverDick » Sun Oct 20, 2013 10:16 am

Aqulia wrote:What's the point of the Electoral College, and why does it make it possible that someone who didn't win the majority of the votes wins the election? Why can't just the guy who got the most votes be President?

I believe it is to avoid the vote always swinging in the direction of the most populous states, giving smaller states a voice.

Ashtherion wrote:We're not worse at drinking, we're just better at being intoxicated, so we don't have to spend so much on beer.
Suck our tiny economical dicks, white people.
CleverDick
Dr. Jan Itor
Dr. Jan Itor

Show rep
Title: Dozenare

Postby electricflamingo » Sun Oct 20, 2013 12:27 pm

Overlord Moo wrote:
electricflamingo wrote:I cannot ask this question. My father-in-law would probably throw me in a river but he is a very staunch vegetarian....but he wears leather. Lot's of leather. Leather generally made from cows.

electricflamingo wrote:Leather generally made from cows.

electricflamingo wrote:Leather generally made from COWS.

Jaw drop.gif

He's a devout Hindu.

It wouldn't bother me if it were anyone else, but I'm still mad about the time I was sick and in front of everyone he said:
"Flamingo, you look terrible!"
"I know I'm sick"
"I mean your skin and your hair. You just do not look good at all...."
(in my head "Yes we've established the fact I look like a reanimated corpse, can we move on now?")

electricflamingo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Post-Modernist

Postby Edgar Cabrera » Sun Oct 20, 2013 5:19 pm

Australia wrote:And most important of all, it's 2013, how have they not made airline food edible yet? It's ludicrous.

I know, right? I mean, what's the deal with airline food?
I'm so sorry, I'll see myself out.

James Bond: "Red wine with fish. Well, that should have told me something."
Red Grant: "You may know the right wines, but you're the one on your knees. How does it feel, old man?"
From Russia with Love

"This woman is an idiot without a basic grasp of the English language, and the guy is an abusive creepy weirdo."
– JamesT's review of Fifty Shades of Grey.
Edgar Cabrera
Blobber
Blobber

Show rep
Title: A Masked Brightener

Postby JamesT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 6:38 pm

I have a question: how come they don't make airplanes out of airline food? I mean, those biscuits they gave me last time must have been harder than diamond. There's no way they'd break in a crash.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby NisiOptimum » Sun Oct 20, 2013 7:59 pm

Why do people drive on a parkway and park ON MY DREAMS ORANGE!!!!!!

Also: Why won't anyone make eye contact with me on the bus? Am I just not squinting hard enough?

NisiOptimum
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Duke of Chrome

PreviousNext