Stupid questions

Discussion, in general

Re: Stupid questions

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:03 pm

You need to REALLY get into their personal space. Really squish yourself in there. People find confidence attractive.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby LaoWai » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:10 pm

People make eye contact with me in enclosed spaces all the time. Of course, I'm a handsome guy, and like Orange said, confidence is attractive.
Ladies....png
Ladies....png (551.5 KiB) Viewed 5549 times

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby JamesT » Sun Oct 20, 2013 8:21 pm

NisiOptimum wrote:Why do people drive on a parkway and park ON MY DREAMS ORANGE!!!!!!

Also: Why won't anyone make eye contact with me on the bus? Am I just not squinting hard enough?

Ah, I've had this problem too. The trick is to immobilize their head so they cant move around as much. Usually I prefer a headlock. Then you can force them to make eye contact by getting your face within an inch of theirs and usually they'll get the hint. This is actually how I met my last girlfriend.

Spoiler: show
This is, of course, a joke. No girl would ever date me. *sobs*

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby Cullenmcpimpin » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:02 am

Why the Fucking Shit cock are swear words considered worse than all other words?

OrangeEyebrows wrote:Our forum-mate Cullenmcpimpin
Left the ladies all lovelorn and limpin'.
His formidable size
Left the rest of the guys
To weep at their annual wimp-in.
Cullenmcpimpin
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:13 am

Cullenmcpimpin wrote:Why the Fucking Shit cock are swear words considered worse than all other words?

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 21, 2013 5:29 am

Mike is right. Mekrob.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Matthew Notch » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:20 am

electricflamingo wrote:It wouldn't bother me if it were anyone else, but I'm still mad about the time I was sick and in front of everyone he said:
"Flamingo, you look terrible!"
"I know I'm sick"
"I mean your skin and your hair. You just do not look good at all...."
(in my head "Yes we've established the fact I look like a reanimated corpse, can we move on now?")

If I recall, that brief time your avatar was a picture of yourself, you were quite lovely. No reanimated corpse worries are necessary. Unless you were REALLY REALLY sick or something

It's Dangerous to Go Alone

"I desperately want Jiggery Pokery now."-- Pikajew

"I do feel that if she happens to favour attractive, successful, intelligent men I will be at a disadvantage."--Anglerphobe

"I have a beautiful sphincter and Mexico is gonna pay for it."--Kate
Matthew Notch
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: The Last Finisher

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:34 am

Cullenmcpimpin wrote:Why the Fucking Shit cock are swear words considered worse than all other words?

Because some people are just THAT afraid of aggression.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 21, 2013 7:57 am

JugularNotch wrote:
electricflamingo wrote:It wouldn't bother me if it were anyone else, but I'm still mad about the time I was sick and in front of everyone he said:
"Flamingo, you look terrible!"
"I know I'm sick"
"I mean your skin and your hair. You just do not look good at all...."
(in my head "Yes we've established the fact I look like a reanimated corpse, can we move on now?")

If I recall, that brief time your avatar was a picture of yourself, you were quite lovely. No reanimated corpse worries are necessary. Unless you were REALLY REALLY sick or something

Flamingo, I hate it also when people are like "You look sick/tired."

"Yeah, I just worked 12 hour nights, thanks."

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby 52xMax » Mon Oct 21, 2013 8:32 am

OrangeEyebrows wrote:That said, as long as it's sincere, there is no question too stupid for this thread, whether it's "Which came first, orange the colour or orange the fruit?"

I'm gonna say the specter of color was around before the fruit, and it has been pointed out that the fruit isn't always that color. I've eaten green oranges, they are delicious and make great OJ.

If we're talking about the word orange, its origin comes from Persian (nārang) and it's very similar to the word we use in Spanish (naranja). It was originally used to refer to the fruit and then the color. I find it very strange that there's not more colors named after common things in nature, which suggests that the idea of color is fairly recent in human history. I mean, we've always perceived them, but at one point after languages were invented societies grew so large and complex that it became necessary to make distinctions based on more than the shape, size, or the functions of things.

I find it even stranger that orangutans don't get their name from the color, or the other way around. They are totally unrelated and it's just a happy coincidence. The word orangutan is Malay and comes from "orang" (person) and hutan (forest); it wasn't even originally used to describe the orange primates (the Malay word for apes is mawas) but a group of human people living in the forest. But somewhere along the line it became more associated with our far removed cousins in the evolutionary tree.

Edit: did I just make a make a pun up there? I swear I was just monkeying around.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby CarrieVS » Mon Oct 21, 2013 6:44 pm

52xMax wrote: I find it very strange that there's not more colors named after common things in nature, which suggests that the idea of color is fairly recent in human history.

I think I remember reading somewhere that the Ancient Greeks didn't have words for colours as we understand them. They apparently had a concept sometimes translated as colour, but it seems to have referred to other qualities, e.g. the sky was the same 'colour' as bronze - probably meaning brightness rather than colour as we understand it. Blood and honey were also the same 'colour', which IIRC was thought to be to do with richness and life, or something along those lines.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby OrangeEyebrows » Mon Oct 21, 2013 11:36 pm

Yup. "The wine dark sea" and all that.

A society without redemption would damn us all ~ Kate
OrangeEyebrows
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Magnifitail

Postby JamesT » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:20 am

52xMax wrote: I mean, we've always perceived them, but at one point after languages were invented societies grew so large and complex that it became necessary to make distinctions based on more than the shape, size, or the functions of things.

Ha! that sounds like quitter talk. Now excuse me as I drive to the large rectangular food-place to buy a bunch of small round eaty-things.

Say hello to my comic: Lil Oppy!

Say hi to my art!
JamesT
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Cardboard King

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jun 18, 2018 1:26 pm

Is it racist if I see someone ethnic purchase a certain brand of ethnic food and then feel like my purchase of that same item is justified because "one of them" is okay with it?

I feel like it might be racial, but not racist. When I pose this question irl people tend to immediately joke "that's racist" but I don't think it is.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby JamishT » Tue Jun 19, 2018 3:43 am

I can see how people would knee-jerk think that to be racist. Are you assuming something about someone based on their race? Yes. But I think it would be more "problematic" if you assumed that they hadn't experienced the culture of their...culture, and thus wouldn't know what brand is best. But I'm a WHITE CISGENDERED MALE, so what do I know!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

PreviousNext