What's the first major news story you remember?

Discussion, in general

Re: What's the first major news story you remember?

Postby jbobsully11 » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:51 pm

The first was probably the 1996 election, and my dad and grandpa were probably the only two people I know who voted for Ross Perot. Honorable mention goes to Princess Diana’s death (1997) and Timothy McVeigh’s execution for the Oklahoma City bombing (2001).

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:48 pm

Governor Schwarzenegger signing a bill cracking down on public spanking and drawing some protesters literally, explicitly protesting their right to abuse kids.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:50 pm

Hey! The kids like being smacked. It turns them on.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:00 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:my dad and grandpa were probably the only two people I know who voted for Ross Perot.

Well, that's spooky.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Jul 09, 2019 11:23 pm

NathanLoiselle wrote:I remember the first Ronald Reagan election. It's one of the earliest memories for me and I was doing this thing we used to call channel surfing. It had nothing to do with real surfing. I believe I was sick with a temperature. No, wait it was him winning the Republican convention thingy do-hickey.

My earliest news memory is the '84 election and everyone making a big deal over Walter Mondale getting what we now call "rekt".

I remember the Challenger even better. Oh yeah. They wheeled the TV into class and got us all hyped up. Then for some reason they turned the TV off, rolled it out and changed the subject. The look on Mrs. Kerns' face. Unforgettable.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Windy » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:54 am

My earliest news memory is that one time when a girl licked a carton of blue bell ice cream and put it back on the shelf.

Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:48 am

Who let a goldfish make an account on here?

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Ladki96 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 3:40 pm

My earliest memory of a news story is in 2004, when the police finally caught and shot a famous dacoit/smuggler/killer/forest-dweller in South India. He even kidnapped some celebrities and stuff. A film on him was on the telly recently and that reminded me. ^^

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Veerappan

Though I live in the North, I am from the South, and this was when we were over at my hometown for a holiday. I remember turning the pages of the newspaper (there were full-spread pages on the guy) and shuddering at how villainous he looked. Think that was when I really started to understand and think about death too. I was eight :P

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Malfeasinator » Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:40 pm

I used to watch the news all the time... but I don't remember a lot of it from when I was young. I guess it would have to be the buzz over Halley's Comet that really stands out from those days. I don't think I even looked at it. Maybe I'll catch it next time.

edit: and most of my memories about the news revolve around car commercials. For some reason those old car commercials stood out more than anything. BLAH BLAH BLAH DOWN! BLAH BLAH BLAH CASH BACK! NEW MODELS! etc. etc.

edit the second: I also never understood how people were getting money BACK after buying something. It didn't make a lot of sense to my young brain. Also someone in my family had a Halley's Comet coffee mug. I remember that much.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby JamishT » Sun Jul 14, 2019 1:44 am

I was reading something last night and realized I have a news memory earlier than the 2000 election: the death of JFK Jr in 1999. Maybe I was already somewhat obsessed with the Kennedys, but for whatever reason I clearly remember hearing (we were a Paul Harvey/NPR family) that he crashed his plane into the ocean and was definitely dead.

Unless you believe the Qnuts who believe he's still alive and was going to arrest (or help arrest?) a bunch of Democrats on the 4th of July this year.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Tesseracts » Mon Jul 15, 2019 4:02 pm

Princess Diana. The main thing I remember about it is being annoyed. The news covered her death relentlessly for a long time. This is around the age when I started to actually care about the news. I think I was 10.

I also remember all the BS with Bill Clinton.

I was aware of the daycare sexual abuse paranoia when I was a young child, because my Mom cited it as the reason she never sent me to daycare.

I don't remember this happening, but my parents said when I was about 4 I overheard something on the news about teenagers being violent so at McDonalds I hid under the table so teenagers wouldn't see me.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Aquila89 » Tue Jul 16, 2019 3:04 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Princess Diana. The main thing I remember about it is being annoyed. The news covered her death relentlessly for a long time. This is around the age when I started to actually care about the news. I think I was 10.

In Hungary, the 1993 death of József Antall (the first Prime Minister after the end of Communist rule) is a traumatic memory for many children, because it was announced on TV interrupting DuckTales. (I don't remember it though, because I grew up in a TV-less household).

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Pedgerow » Tue Jul 16, 2019 8:56 pm

Aquila89 wrote:announced on TV interrupting DuckTales.

Now, that's interesting, because I've always wondered about those TV news announcements that interrupt regular TV. They happen all the time in films and things, but the only, "We interrupt this broadcast to bring you BREAKING NEWS" moment that I have ever experienced in my whole life was the Omagh bombing. I assume 9/11 must have had one, but I was at school, and Princess Diana was overnight so nothing was interrupted for me there either.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 16, 2019 11:20 pm

In 2000, Futurama was interrupted for a press release from Katherine Harris, which pissed me off. It was the episode where someone plants a bomb in Bender which will explode when he says his catchphrase. Then she announced that she was stopping the recount in order to give the election to W., which really pissed me off. I only had to suffer eight years of W., but I didn't learn how that episode ended until 2012.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby NathanLoiselle » Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:15 am

The only Breaking News I ever saw was when some guy blew his brains out with a shotgun in a white pickup on a LA bridge. It was in the middle of children's programming and the FCC ruled that you weren't allowed to do Breaking News stories during certain hours of the day after that. It wasn't as traumatic as it sounds.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

PreviousNext