Recent Adventures

Discussion, in general

Recent Adventures

Postby thedogknows » Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:03 am

Recently, I went on a rock climbing trip to Mexico and I was gonna post pictures in Pics or You Didn't Happen, but I realized I'm not actually in most of the pictures I took. So, instead I thought I'd make a thread where you can post any pictures or stories of trips you've been on.

I'll go first. Like I said, just after New Year's I went climbing in northern Mexico. It was a pretty great time, at various points I:
-Caught a ride from the store to my campsite on the back of a chicken truck
-Met a man who sold climbing gear, margaritas, pizza, and shrooms out of the back of a van
-Drank about 20 liters of tequila

Here are some pics!

This is what the cliffs looked like from the place we stayed. It's hard for pictures to do them justice-- they were super big.
cliffs resize.jpg
cliffs resize.jpg (546.05 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Here are some pictures from the top of the first climb I did, called Will the Wolf Survive. It was about 400' and somewhat sketchy.
wolf 1.jpg
wolf 1.jpg (789.74 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

wolf 2 resize.jpg
wolf 2 resize.jpg (495.23 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

wolf 3 resize.jpg
wolf 3 resize.jpg (758.24 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

The climb up the back of this canyon is called supernova, and it was the longest climb I did at about 800 feet. The first pitch was fairly difficult, but other than that it was smooth sailing. Part of the way down, we forgot to untie the stopper knot at the end of our rope before starting to pull it through the chains, so after a brief "oh shit" moment I had to re-lead the route in the dark, illuminated only by my headlamp. By the time we finally got down to the ground we had been on the wall about 10 hours and I proceeded to drink 3-4 large margaritas.
supernova approach resize.jpg
supernova approach resize.jpg (835.38 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Looking into the valley from the top of supernova
supernova 1.jpg
supernova 1.jpg (919.23 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

More from the top of supernova
supernova 2.jpg
supernova 2.jpg (291.28 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

Looking across the canyon from the top of supernova. Keep in mind this is already 800' up in order to get a sense of how big these cliffs were
supernova 3.jpg
supernova 3.jpg (540.4 KiB) Viewed 1108 times

thedogknows
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Re: Recent Adventures

Postby 52xMax » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:43 pm

These are amazing, and it sounds like you had a great time.

I'm from Mexico, where is this exactly?

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Re: Recent Adventures

Postby thedogknows » Sun Feb 10, 2019 8:44 pm

It was El Potrero Chico outside Monterrey-- definitely worth a visit in winter. It was actually my first time outside of the US! On the other hand, I'm from New Mexico so it didn't feel as foreign as I was expecting it to.

thedogknows
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep