Rocky Fielding vs Canelo Alverez (super-middle weight title)

Discussion, in general

Rocky Fielding vs Canelo Alverez (super-middle weight title)

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Dec 17, 2018 2:40 pm

When I figure out how I'll post an article about the fight and a full video of it (lousy phones).

Well, let's just first say that Canelo Alverez moved up a weight division so good on him for that (if that's his more natural weight). But regardless, onto the fight that occured this week (last week for you guys?).

Third round TKO, fight goes to Canelo.

I think I can safely say that Rocky Fielding was completely dismantled by Canelo Alverez, why he didn't use his God given attributes such as I think an over 10cm reach advantage and keep his distance while circling Canelo I will never know. Instead this man froze on the ropes and squared himself up so Canelo can have fun on his body including his liver, and when not frozen on the ropes he was trying to get close and playing into Canelo's attributes.

phpBB [video]

Just goes to show ladies and gentlemen, that having good legs that move when you need to is just as important as having that KO punch. As Jack Dempsey stated in his famous boxing 'bible' Championship Fighting, "in the ring boxers enjoy the best footing that technicians can devise". We all know how Muhammad Ali used this patch of canvas between 4 posts before his exile, some of the older people or more enlightened boxing historians also know how the great Willie Pep was able to glide across the ring like a matador toying with a bull.

phpBB [video]

(Can't find the actual fight that got me hooked on this guy, but this should be a nice demo)

But I disgress, his inability to move that fight may toy with Rocky for the rest of his life. A missed opportunity and a lost title (WBA regular super-middleweight title), however a darn decent payday too so good on him for that. But seriously, the first thing any trainer worth his salt does is teach footwork, reach advantage doesn't mean anything if you let the bloke get inside.

When I figure out how I'll post an article about the fight and a full video of it.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Rocky Fielding vs Canelo Alverez (super-middle weight ti

Postby DoglovingJim » Tue Dec 18, 2018 2:44 am

Rocky Fielding admitted he got his tactics wrong after suffering his second professional defeat.

The former British and Commonwealth super-middleweight champion succumbed his WBA ‘regular’ title to Saul ‘Canelo’ Alvarez.

Fielding took on the 28-year-old Mexican superstar at Madison Square Garden in New York on Saturday night.

And after being dropped four times en-route a third-round stoppage defeat, exclusively live on Sky Sports in the UK and on DAZN Stateside, the 31-year-old conceded that he got it all wrong in there.

“He’s an elite fighter, Canelo, and I went in there trying my best, and that’s what elite fighters are like,” the father-of-two said afterwards.

Fielding was dropped three times from body shots and once with a head shot before the referee, Ricky Gonzalez, called a halt to proceedings having seen enough after two minutes and 38 seconds of the third at the Mecca of Boxing.

“The body shots were more like the wind was getting taken out of me. It wasn’t like I was being hurt to the ribs, the wind was just being taken from me.

“He placed his shots well and he caught me, but I stood there too long and I thought I could try and mix it with him when I shouldn’t have.

“I should really have kept it long, using my height advantage, but I just stood there with someone who’s elite, who’s stronger than me and he caught me.”

‘Canelo’ is now one of a select group of Mexican fighters to have won world championships in three difference weight classes, having clinched global honours at super-welterweight, middleweight after beating Gennady Golovkin back in September and now the 168-pound division.

Fielding will be able to hold his head up high despite the dream being cut devastatingly short by a special fighter in the shape of Alvarez, who moves to 51-1-2 with 35 early, while Fielding now holds a record of 27-2 (15 KOs).

"I gave it everything and the better man won. I dared to be great, I lived a dream, but I'll come again and I’ll come back.”

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man