What colors look good on you?

Discussion, in general

What colors look good on you?

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:59 am

So I have been talking to Tess about this because she is experimenting with a season-based color-matching thing. This season thing argues that different colors work for different people, but for me, I cut colors fairly coarsely without regards for tone.

As I see it, purple through teal look relatively good on me, purple especially, but only in medium-dark shades. Same for black, brown, and maroon. Of these I tend to favor purple because it is my favorite color, and blue because it is an acceptable neutral color. I would wear indigo and violet too, except I rarely see shirts in those colors.

I have a red face and believe that magenta, red, pink, and green all bring out the redness in my face. I do not think those colors will ever look good on me. Orange does too to an extent, though less so than red, magenta, and pink, and I like orange enough to sometimes wear it anyways when I own an orange shirt. Gray I think highlights the redness in my face a bit, but since dark gray shirts tend to be cheap and inoffensive I often have a few of them anyways. Gray is not a color I think I would ever wear if money were no object.

I think that light colors such as yellow, white, light blue, and lime look bad on me as well, because they tend to highlight that I am fat. Even lavender looks bad on me for this reason, and I love lavender. However if I lost weight, I think that lavender, light blue, and (dark) lime would all look decent on me, while yellow and white would probably draw out the redness of my face.

If I had money to get a variety of decent clothes in styles and materials I liked (since I am fat literally the only way this will happen before I lose weight is if I get them tailored) my wardrobe would be dominated by purple and violet shirts with some blues and indigos plus a few teals, blacks, browns, and maroons, and a solitary orange shirt. If I were normal weight I add have some lavenders, light blues, and at least one lime shirt as well. For my bottom half I would have kilts in a variety of colors and patterns in dark cool colors (which might incorporate red and/or dark green because kilts usually do and they will not be near my face), while all of my pants would be identical black slacks with purple pinstripes.

How about y'all? What colors do you think look good on you, and how would you dress if money were not an issue?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Re: What colors look good on you?

Postby JamishT » Mon Jul 16, 2018 5:34 am

I remember doing that season-based color thing with my mom and sister when I was a kid, but I don't recall which season I matched with. I do remember bold colors work better for me than pastels and such, so I try to keep those in closet. A female friend once told me she liked how I look in orange, so I have several orange shirts in the closet based on that one offhand comment alone.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:20 am

I’ve been told I look good in green, but otherwise, I mostly just wear colors that I wouldn’t mind seeing other people wear, and decide if I should wear them again based on how many screams I hear that day. The exceptions are brown, pink, yellow, and purple, because I’m not sure I’d look good in any of those colors. I also don’t have any white t-shirts that aren’t undershirts, though I do have several grey t-shirts. The dress shirts I wear are either blue or green (light or somewhat dark).

With the exception of that construction job I had last summer, I haven’t worn jeans since probably 2008 or ‘09 (blue jeans since 2006), mainly because cargo pants are way more functional. I also don’t wear shorts anymore because I’m afraid snobby passersby will think I’m an overgrown child (which I kind of am, but shh). If I had a lot of money, I might wear cargo shorts again, because screw you, hypothetical judgmental people, I have money.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby IamNotCreepy » Mon Jul 16, 2018 2:08 pm

My wife is an artist with a good eye for color and good taste, so I just let her buy my clothes.

/shrug

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:03 pm

Black. It matches my all around aura. Contrasts my skin tone.

I can wear orange and not look constructiony or prisonery.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Jul 16, 2018 11:57 pm

I look good in black, white and nude.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Tue Jul 17, 2018 5:31 pm

I'd look like Jerry Garcia got assimilated by the Borg and thought it was just, like, far out, man.

That's about all I'm going to say. I'm kind of a private person.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:28 pm

I have no idea.

People tell me purple, some say blue, my one uncle swore brunettes should wear red.

*shrugs*

My mother says pastels wipe me out

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 17, 2018 9:32 pm

Frankly, I think that most pastels look bad on most white people. As I said, I think I would look OK in lavender and pale blue if I were normal weight, but those are exceptions. Even if I got down to a healthy weight, I would not be caught dead in light yellow, light green, or pink.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:03 pm

cmsellers wrote:Frankly, I think that most pastels look bad on most white people. As I said, I think I would look OK in lavender and pale blue if I were normal weight, but those are exceptions. Even if I got down to a healthy weight, I would not be caught dead in light yellow, light green, or pink.

Listen, there's nothing wrong with a dude wearing pink.

Tell Bret, "The Hitman" Hart, that pink isn't a manly color.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jul 17, 2018 11:51 pm

This is not a fragile masculinity thing: I identify as nonbinary and have no masculinity to protect. This is a white-with-lots-of-Irish-ancestry thing. Also, my post was not particularly about pink, it was about pastels in general. That said, I look like a cooked lobster, and there is no color on earth that accentuates that more than pink.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Jul 18, 2018 1:44 pm

cmsellers wrote:This is not a fragile masculinity thing: I identify as nonbinary and have no masculinity to protect. This is a white-with-lots-of-Irish-ancestry thing. Also, my post was not particularly about pink, it was about pastels in general. That said, I look like a cooked lobster, and there is no color on earth that accentuates that more than pink.

I think maybe you're over-critical on yourself.

But if you, by chance, do actually look like Zoidberg, fuck it, lean into it and get a lab coat.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep