Starting a new column and looking for suggestions

Discussion, in general

What franchises / characters are you interested in me covering?

MCU
8%
MCU Netflixverse
6%
The DCEU and related failures
7%
Fox's stuff (X-Men and prior Spider-Men)
6%
The Arrowverse (shows like Arrow and The Flash)
4%
Metal Gear
1%
Far Cry
3%
Resident Evil
6%
Mad Max
3%
Dragon Ball
4%
JoJo's Bizarre Adventure
3%
Hannibal
No votes
Uncharted
1%
The Walking Dead
6%
Fallout
8%
Ghost In The Shell
1%
Call of Duty
4%
Yakuza
1%
Danganronpa
3%
Final Fantasy
10%
Notable incarnations of The Joker
10%
Notable incarnations of Moriarty
1%
Other (post it)
3%

Total votes : 71

Starting a new column and looking for suggestions

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun May 06, 2018 12:36 am

Long story short, among numerous other things I should be doing, I've been working on a column for a little while revolving around one of my great passions in life: villains. Analysis of what makes great villains work so well and mediocre villains fall flat, flexing my creative muscles to come up with ways the most forgettable or tiresome ones could have soared, general advice on how to write a nuanced and memorable antagonist, so on and so forth, pretty much whatever suits the topic.

My first article on the subject was to be the first part of a phase-by-phase examination of the MCU's villains, specifically because they've gotten so much criticism over the years for bland or bad villains, and I feel there's a lot of untapped meat for critical analysis and improvement that hasn't really been afforded characters who just get written off and forgotten (which entails finally sharing my wild theories on how they could have made the villain of fucking Thor 2 a standout). But as it's half finished and I'm both hearing rumors about certain villains returning in Infinity War and realizing how scant Phase One actually is if I don't strain out something for the dual villains of Hulk's eminently forgettable solo outing (I've managed to write seven paragraphs about Electric Whip Guy from Iron Man 2, for an idea of how nothing those guys are), I'm wondering whether I should save the MCU for a bit later and start with something else.

And that's where you come in! The poll right there is most of the ideas I currently have for franchises to cover, plus a few of the solo character entries I'll write for truly special cases. If you're curious about what I could possibly say about a collection of villains as amazing as JoJo's or as weird as Call of Duty's, or whatever, vote for it. Final decision will obviously be up to my wildly fluctuating passion and writer's block, but I really want to gauge y'all's interest.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: Starting a new column and looking for suggestions

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun May 06, 2018 12:43 am

My suggestion is "Things You Found In Your Ear ... In Your Ear"

Oh wait. You want villians. Well then...

"Villains You Found In Your Ear ... In Your Ear"

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun May 06, 2018 1:06 am

Hannibal has some crazy-ass villains of the week, except when their sole motive is mushroom patterns. Fallout is a trove when it comes to the DLCs. MCU is the MCU.

So, yeah, those would be my suggestions.

Last edited by Deathclaw_Puncher on Sun May 06, 2018 2:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby iMURDAu » Sun May 06, 2018 1:18 am

I went with MCU, Final Fantasy, and incarnations of the Joker.

I'd love to say TWD but everyone hates it or ignores it now.

I love Metal Gear but it dead. Snek? Sneeeeeeek? Da da du da da

bop bop bop

Sorry.

The MCU is a treasure trove since there's so much to over analyze.

Final Fantasy has quite a few great villains.

The Joker has a long history and the evolution of the character over the decades is very interesting.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 am

iMURDAu wrote:I'd love to say TWD but everyone hates it or ignores it now.

I can promise that whatever biases I come in with regarding certain adaptations, my goal is to give everything its fair shake and pick out even the most hidden positives among the criticisms. And I unashamedly love a great many of the antagonists across the comic, show, and games, so I'll no doubt be covering them eventually and it's good to know you'll be interested~

Also, one of my planned topics is fucking CALL OF DUTY. Easy target as TWD is nowadays, the internet graciously tosses roses at its feet by comparison.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sun May 06, 2018 2:34 am

Tales :3

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Jul 08, 2018 8:19 am

First article for this column is very nearly done! I ultimately settled on starting with an MCU piece, but to save myself from having to BS up something about Abomination or Justin Hammer, I've compressed Phase 1 and 2 into one entry.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:09 pm

Just so y'all know, I haven't abandoned this column. I submitted the Marvel article a few months back and have completed a couple more in my spare time; they just haven't seen the light of day due to troubles on the editorial side. I'm hoping the first one will get published before the end of the year, but I sincerely understand if it takes much longer than that.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep