Blachilles: Non-white whitewashing

Discussion, in general

Blachilles: Non-white whitewashing

Postby Anglerphobe » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:04 pm

Aka, we wuz Myrmidons n shieeet

The BBC has attracted some fresh, topical race related controversy of late with its series Troy: Fall of a City in which Achilles is played by Ghanaian-British actor David Gyasi.
Behold

As an aside, this series is bad. "Realistic" Trojan War remakes are pretty much guaranteed to be terrible from the start and it is not an exception. They go for a sort of compromise which is pointedly not mythic but is also extremely far from actual realism.

The question ringing around the internet fora and daily mail comment pages, youtube videos and more is of course whether it is really okay to have a black man play Achilles. The arguments against it are similar to other cases of "whitewashing" as the racial background of the actor doesn't match the character or the context.
I don't really have a problem with it, myself, on the grounds that Achilles and the Myrmidons (all many of whom are portrayed by black actors in this adaptation) are strictly mythical characters. This isn't like the BBC's casting of Nigerian-Jewish Sophie Okonedo as the pointedly un-Nigerian and un-Jewish Margaret of Anjou in their Shakespearean Wars of the Roses drama The Hollow Crown which really did piss me off. That was some bullshit. Margaret was a real person with a big stake in the history of England and several other western European countries. Casting her as a black/jewish woman is both race-baity and egregiously inaccurate alongside the casting of John Wayne as Genghis goddamn Khan. Blachilles and the Melanyrmidons however are depictions of legendary characters which depart from the descriptions in the original text given not for the sake of an accurate account (The Iliad is not at all about history, and is centuries removed from the probable date of the events it depicts anyway) but for thematic and dramatic purposes. Casting the Myrmidons with black actors distinguishes them from the Achaeans (something which is missed by a lot of adaptations) and from the Trojans. Of course they are nothing like the real population of Thessaly in the second millennium BC, but the Homeric Myrmidons aren't really meant to portray those people. It's like casting all the Nephilim of Jötunnar with black men. It still comes across as a bit race-baity and cynical, but I can't piss blood over it.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Re: Blachilles: Non-white whitewashing

Postby Marcuse » Mon Apr 23, 2018 11:58 pm

I suppose based on my experience of theatre, I don't care much about who or what plays mythical theatrical characters. Especially with something like the Trojan war, there's very little in the way of real historical accuracy we can adequately claim, and some degree of artistic licence is probably fine as long as they don't use it as a vehicle to make contemporary points about racism.

What I dislike about swapping character gender/race/sexuality is when they use that to break the fourth wall and make additional commentary about modern racism/sexism etc when it doesn't fit the source material. Like, if you're doing Merchant of Venice then an anti-racist tone is partially there already, but if you're putting on Midsummer Night's Dream then maybe it's better to avoid using it to made out of context jabs at prejudice for the sake of it.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Re: Blachilles: Non-white whitewashing

Postby Absentia » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:37 am

I guess I just don't care? Black Achilles is fine, Puerto Rican Alexander Hamilton is fine, white Genghis Khan is fine. They're actors. Pretending to be somebody else is the whole exercise.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep