What is on your bucket list?

Discussion, in general

Re: What is on your bucket list?

Postby MuteAnt » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:59 pm

Oh hai everyone. I am going through a miserable break-up (Part Deux) so obviously I'm going to go do super wild, dangerous activities and buy extravagant yet extremely unnecessary things all in an effort to feel better about my own short, lonely existence. Here's my list:

1. Buy a white Daytona Triumph 675R
2. Visit a country I've never been to before
3. Cosplay at Comic-Con
4. Sky-dive
5. Drive a semi
6. Volunteer at a local homeless shelter
7. Play Kingdom Hearts: Dearly Beloved on the piano
8. Learn a third language
9. Make an Amigurumi Slowpoke
10. Run a half marathon

Also adopt a shelter puppy since Doug passed away in 2017 and I miss having a canine friend.

Last edited by MuteAnt on Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
May contain peanuts.
MuteAnt
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Feb 22, 2018 1:17 am

MuteAnt wrote:Oh hai everyone. I am going through a miserable break-up (Part Deux) so obviously I'm going to go do super wild, dangerous activities and buy extravagant yet extremely unnecessary things all in an effort to feel better about my own short, lonely existence. Here's my list:

1. Buy a white Daytona Triumph 675R
2. Visit a country I've never been to before
3. Cosplay at Comic-Con
4. Sky-dive
5. Drive a semi
6. Volunteer at a local homeless shelter
7. Play Kingdom Hearts: Dearly Beloved on the piano
8. Learn a third language
9. Make an Amigurumi Slowpoke
10. Run a half marathon

Also adopt a shelter puppy since Doug passed away in 2017 and I miss a canine friend.

Miserable break-up? Sounds like me, you are certainly not alone with that one mate.

Which of those things do you think you'll be able to do first MuteAnt?

P.S, I hardly ever seen you on this forum if at all, do you think you'll be commenting a lot more now?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby emm » Thu Feb 22, 2018 2:03 am

Funny you should start this thread, as I've only just realised I won't be able to tick off one of the bullet points on my list, being

- be decently proficient in 10 languages by the age of 30

So I think I'm going to reevaluate my list and get back to this thread...

Of course I am an angel, the horns are just to keep the halo straight.
emm
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Feb 22, 2018 3:47 am

MuteAnt wrote:Oh hai everyone.

MUTEANT!

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Feb 22, 2018 4:34 pm

I've put a lot of thought into this very topic over the last few years.

I have 4 Bucket Lists.

One is a Reverse List - it's things that other people put on their bucket lists, that are online, that I've already done. The great thing about it is I don't have to cross anything off, and the longer I live, the longer it grows on its own just by me doing whatever it is I would normally do. Some are super simple but others make me realize that I haven't lived an empty life, so that's why I keep it and keep adding to it.

The other is a secret list only for me. It is life-affirming in its own way. It is the Anti-List: things I never would have wished happened to me, that I can say "hey, I survived" or "hey, I'm here in spite of this", something along those lines. It also grows as I live, but the purpose of it is to remind myself of my strengths and ability to cope with problems.

The third unusual Bucket List is the Lucid Dreaming Bucket List. Dreaming life is important. You spend a lot of your life asleep. Why not make the most of it? Some things that are on that list are ripped from Youtube videos about lucid dreaming and I'm not ashamed to admit that. The experiences are pretty far out and make me more motivated to practice the skill. I can tell myself, if I do these things, even if they're just vivid dreams, that I've done things that few others ever have.

And then there's the "regular" bucket list, but it, too, is also growing. Life isn't static. I'll pick up new hobbies and interests along the way. I'll learn new things. It seems reasonable to believe I'll want to reach new heights, however far I climb.

The Reverse List is about 68 things long.
The Anti-List is X things long, and I'm keeping that number to myself, thank you very much.
The Lucid Dream Bucket list is about 100 items long.
The Regular Bucket List is 135 things long and still growing.

I'll include some examples from the Lucid Dream Bucket List in a follow up post if anyone is interested.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:00 pm

Man, I guess I have no ambition. I don't really have a bucket list. Most of the things I've wanted I already have: I am married, I have a child, own a house, have a decent job.

The thing I'm looking forward to doing the most? Retiring.

Bucket List:

1. Retire

There we go.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby Aquila89 » Thu Feb 22, 2018 5:22 pm

The names of the buckets I have.

As far as we can discern, the sole purpose of human existence is to kindle a light in the darkness of mere being.
--Carl Jung
Aquila89
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Sat Feb 24, 2018 10:18 pm

IamNotCreepy wrote:Man, I guess I have no ambition. I don't really have a bucket list. Most of the things I've wanted I already have: I am married, I have a child, own a house, have a decent job.

The thing I'm looking forward to doing the most? Retiring.

Bucket List:

1. Retire

There we go.

You've already won at life. You're good to go.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:16 pm

I think it's cute that @KryingKraken and I both want to own gardens and chickens.

As for my guinea pig pen, did you know that you can raise guinea pigs (or rabbits, or goats, etc) in order to maintain your lawn length? You put the guinea pigs in a pen on your lawn (or let them roam free if it is safely enclosed) and rotate the pen every so often and they will act as fuzzy little lawnmowers.

Also, chickens eat centipedes and other pests and can act as a natural insect repellent.

Basically I want to be a real-life Disney princess and have animals do all of my chores for me. :lol:

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Sun Feb 25, 2018 10:22 pm

- Publish a novel
- Drink more
- Bench 315 lbs
- Drink even more
- Make over 50k a year
- Continue drinking
- Die young and have my ashes scattered into a headwind to spray on the person standing behind the scatterer
- If I do fail to die young, survive long enough to witness Armageddon
- Maybe have a few more drinks while Armageddon happens

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:33 am

Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:- Publish a novel
- Drink more
- Bench 315 lbs
- Drink even more
- Make over 50k a year
- Continue drinking
- Die young and have my ashes scattered into a headwind to spray on the person standing behind the scatterer

*adds "Bench 315 lbs" to my Reverse Bucket List*

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 8:39 am

In no particular order...

-Get a real, (relatively) permanent job that allows me to pay all of my expenses and save something for the future.
-Be competent at said job.
-Pay off my student loans.
-Buy a small house.
-Read all the books on my list of books to read (currently >40, if you include multiple books in each of several series), unless I realize at some point that I don’t like them.
-Watch all the movies on my (much smaller) list of movies to watch.
-Find a mate.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Feb 26, 2018 9:27 am

That sounds awesome LunarTeaHouse, maybe get a rooster as an alarm clock too. Once I achieve making a perfect garden (my little slice of Eden I'd call it) I wouldn't mind to raise a few chickens like you and KryingKraken both desire.

Malfeasinator wrote:
- Drink more
- Bench 315 lbs
- Drink even more
- Make over 50k a year
- Continue drinking

Wow, 315 lbs? That's around 140ish kg right? How much can you bench press at the moment Mr. Snickers?

As for Malfeasinator, you already lifted 315lbs? That's impressive, how much could you lift now? When did you achieve that?

jbobsully11 wrote:In no particular order...

-Get a real, (relatively) permanent job that allows me to pay all of my expenses and save something for the future.
-Be competent at said job.
-Pay off my student loans.
-Buy a small house.
-Read all the books on my list of books to read (currently >40, if you include multiple books in each of several series), unless I realize at some point that I don’t like them.
-Watch all the movies on my (much smaller) list of movies to watch.
-Find a mate.

Which do you think you will be most likely to achieve first?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby reallifegirl » Mon Feb 26, 2018 4:24 pm

At some point, I want a living space of my own. Either by myself or with a significant other, but just a space that's not divided up with other people that aren't partners. Not that I have any real gripes against my roommate, we get along great, I just would love to have a whole living space that's mine.

Would also love to own a dog some day. Right now it's not feasible (they're not allowed per the rules of my lease), but at some point.

I also want to visit Germany & Japan at some point.

I also want to, at least once, travel on my own. I've done a couple trips where I had a lot of time by myself due to varying circumstances, and I kind of like the idea of being able to really explore a place without needing to worry about other people in the group.

Also, more generally, I just want to keep enjoying things as I grow older. IDK, I hear a lot of people starting to be like "Well, I'm getting older now, I have no more time for anything except going home and watching my shows" and I just don't want to do that. I get out fairly regularly and have a decent amount of friends, and I don't want to hit stop doing that even if it means spending some of that time out by myself.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Feb 26, 2018 6:49 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:That sounds awesome LunarTeaHouse, maybe get a rooster as an alarm clock too. Once I achieve making a perfect garden (my little slice of Eden I'd call it) I wouldn't mind to raise a few chickens like you and KryingKraken both desire.

Malfeasinator wrote:
- Drink more
- Bench 315 lbs
- Drink even more
- Make over 50k a year
- Continue drinking

Wow, 315 lbs? That's around 140ish kg right? How much can you bench press at the moment Mr. Snickers?

As for Malfeasinator, you already lifted 315lbs? That's impressive, how much could you lift now? When did you achieve that?

I can't lift CRAP now. I well, I don't know, maybe around 200 if I went right now, realistically 180, probably, but I was young, I was 24, 25, (so, 2005) and I'd been lifting on and off since I was 16. I had a couple co-workers I lifted with at the time, and they were good spotters and motivation. I also had some lessons from some older and more experienced lifters and I ate like mad.

My maximum bench ever was 515 lbs. I got 540 half-way up but I don't count that one. I was doing negatives with 630 (that's where you have someone help you raise it up and then just make the descent as slow as possible coming down - I learned that you could usually hold up more than you can push up, and you're still resisting against more weight - doing that helped my bench grow in leaps and bounds).

I stopped lifting like that for a couple reasons: one, after the 450 mark, the whole experience changes, and it's not just a lift anymore. You are being crushed, and it entirely feels like it, even down in your bones. It's a completely different experience and it's never pleasant. It was always kind of scary for me and I was relieved when the lift was over.

The second reason was that my co-workers made other plans. The one guy changed companies and careers to make more money elsewhere, and I don't blame him. The other guy started a serious relationship and spent all his time with his new girlfriend, a lady he's married to these days, with children. It was hard to do what I was trying to do all by myself, and I didn't really know anybody else at the gym to ask them to help me out. I'm not sure how many of them actually could help me out. I pretty much required 2 spotters.

A third reason, and this was more maybe after the fact, was that I started to feel like I wasn't really following my own goals, that my power had been something that I was achieving for other people. If I'd thought better of it, I would have trained more for just general fitness and maybe to look better.

I was lifting by myself one day, on a safer machine instead of free weights, so in case I dropped the weights, they wouldn't crash because there was an opening in the center. I put 450 on there and got it up for one rep. There were these young guys who accused me of being on something, saying stuff like "I could lift like that too if I was on steroids." I thought "What are you guys bitching about? You're in great shape, you're young, girls probably don't leave you alone. What's the problem?" And then I realized I would have rather looked like them. I didn't want to be big. Being big isn't attractive. It frightens people away.

So that's probably a little more info than you asked for but I hope it's a satisfying answer to your questions.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

PreviousNext