What is on your bucket list?

Discussion, in general

Re: What is on your bucket list?

Postby DinoVader » Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:51 pm

I've always loved travelling, and I really want to do more of it. My family travelled a pretty decent amount when I was growing up, but it's been almost exclusively in Europe, and there are many things I have yet to see. While "seeing as much of the world as possible" is probably the more accurate descriptor, there are some specific places and things that stand out on my list:

• Go on Interrail through Europe with Moo so I can show him where I'm from and the places I've been in the past as well as seeing more things myself
  • Travel to Peru to visit Machu Picchu and fly over the Nazca Desert
  • See Angel Falls in Venezuela
  • Visit Japan at least once on a trip that is at least 3 weeks long, so I have time to travel around the country
  • Travel to Northern Egypt to see the monuments and museums (I've been to Southern Egypt once, but the main thing to experience there is to dive in coral reefs)
  • Visit a number of national parks in the US (at the very least Yellowstone, Yosemite, the Grand Canyon, and Hawai'i Volcanoes National Park)
  • Visit San Francisco, Seattle, Boston, and New York
  • Visit Washington D.C. to see the monuments and the various museums of the Smithsonian Institution
  • Ride the Trans-Siberian Railway
  • Visit Iceland and see the northern lights and Þingvellir National Park (the rift valley between the Eurasian and North American tectonic plates)
  • Visit New Zealand
  • Visit the Scottish Highlands
  • Ride a hot air balloon over Victoria Falls
  • Visit at least 50 countries in my lifetime (I'm at just about 20 now, so this isn't completely unrealistic)

• And for one that is very different: I want to visit Auschwitz one day. I've been to Bergen-Belsen, a former concentration camp that was burned down, which was a very powerful and sobering experience, and I think remembrance is still an important thing to focus on today, even if it's not a "fun" or exciting thing to go experience like the other items

As for other things, these are more about self-improvement and personal growth in general:

• Get a Masters degree or higher
  • Hike more mountains
  • Get a diver certification and dive at least one more coral reef
  • Learn a third language to near or full fluency (or just finish learning French to that level)
  • Run at least a half marathon
  • Do a triathlon
  • Write an academic article and have it published

<ToBeKateinued>a cloaca is an asshole the way that 2-in-1 shampoo and conditioner is a shampoo.
DinoVader
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Private incestigator

Postby Absentia » Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:29 pm

Most of mine are travel-related as well. I'd like to see a show on Broadway, visit a Caribbean island, tour some historical sites in the UK, and maybe get to Japan some day. If I can retire with enough money I'd like to take a long, leisurely tour of the Mediterranean.

As far as personal achievements... meh? I guess I'd like to go to one of the big M:tG tournaments at some point and not make a fool of myself. And maybe get really good at chess, the only game that normal people respect you for playing.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:03 am

I would like to personally design/build my own house and mod a vehicle fit for roaming a mad max style post apocalyptic wasteland.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby JamishT » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:02 am

DoglovingJim wrote:-Earn God's love, and make him proud.

I've never read any Scripture or heard any pastor that said we earn God's love.

Anyway, my serious bucket list is partially as follows:

-- Get married
-- Own a nice/decent house outright (ideally a house that I designed)
-- Direct a feature film that is seen in theaters
-- Amass over a million subscribers on YouTube
-- Work for myself
-- Reach 200 mph in a car
-- Appear on Saturday Night Live
-- Learn how to swim
-- Visit Washington DC and see all the historical documents and sights
-- There are many places I'd like to visit around the States and the world
-- There are also many celebrities I'd like to meet

That's all I can think of at the moment.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Grimstone » Sun Feb 18, 2018 8:19 am

JamishT wrote: Learn how to swim

<remembers how he learned to swim>

Spoiler: show

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Feb 18, 2018 3:17 pm

JamishT wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:-Earn God's love, and make him proud.

I've never read any Scripture or heard any pastor that said we earn God's love.

Of course the Lord above loves us all equally regardless of who we are or what we have done, but I personally do not want to take it for granted and instead earn that love.

I never realised that you didn't know how to swim Jamish, have you ever made any attempts at booking swimming lessons or just haven't had the time to learn? Which item on the list do you think you are most likely to achieve first?

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby JamishT » Mon Feb 19, 2018 12:06 am

DoglovingJim wrote:I never realised that you didn't know how to swim Jamish, have you ever made any attempts at booking swimming lessons or just haven't had the time to learn? Which item on the list do you think you are most likely to achieve first?

I just haven't gotten around to it. I remember my mom trying to teach me when I was a kid, but it didn't stick. It's the most likely thing I'll cross off first though.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby cmsellers » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:34 am

@Jim: Have you considered Calvinism? Not only do you have to earn God's love, but if you think you've earned it you probably haven't.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:51 am

Get married
Get my PhD
Own a house (hopefully on the North Shore of Oahu)
Buy a Mustang
Finish my tattoos
Travel the world
Maintain a garden with fruits, veggies, chicken coop, and guinea pig pen

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:14 am

cmsellers wrote:@Jim: Have you considered Calvinism? Not only do you have to earn God's love, but if you think you've earned it you probably haven't.

Born a Catholic and I'll be damned if I don't die one too, and Calvinism sounds so... Calviny.

Ohhh, what sort of Mustang LunarTeaHouse? Vintage or a modern one?

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LunarTeaHouse » Tue Feb 20, 2018 7:41 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Ohhh, what sort of Mustang LunarTeaHouse? Vintage or a modern one?

Heh. Well the one I WANT and the one I'm probably going to get are very different things. If I could I would want a Shelby from the 60s like my dad used to have. An AC Cobra, cherry red and white. But it was worth a bajillion dollars and he couldn't even drive it really, he kept it in a warehouse and eventually sold it at an auction. I loved that thing. Loved watching peoples jaws drop from the passenger seat whenever I was lucky enough to be taken around in it.

But I'll probably end up with a newer one, my hometown is about 370 miles away and I make the drive back and forth a couple of times a year at least, I don't want to end up stranded somewhere with mechanical problems in a priceless car all by my lonesome.

This is the most embarrassing piece of work since Clint Eastwood painted his wagon.
LunarTeaHouse
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby KryingKraken » Wed Feb 21, 2018 7:18 am

It just sort of occurred to me that I have a very "I just want a comfortable life" bucket list.

-Create (and hopefully publish) a graphic novel
-Create logos and design work for prestigious clients, which include but aren't limited to: literally any large company
-Start gardening again
-Rescue at least one shelter pit bull (I can't while I'm still living in my apt)
-Purchase a real house for myself and my boyfriend
-Own a horse
-Keep a small coop of chickens
-Design/purchase a tiny house
-Achieve my ideal body
-Visit Olympic National Park and the Hoh Rainforest again
-Spend a couple days at Cedar Point
-Vacation in Tahiti in one of those cool overwater bungalows
-Pet a shark
-Change someone's life for the better

Obviously it's still a work in progress, but it's a start. I love seeing everyone's different goals and dreams :>

Last edited by KryingKraken on Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Feb 21, 2018 8:24 am

KryingKraken wrote:It just sort of occurred to me that I have a very "I just want a comfortable life" bucket list.

-Create (and hopefully publish) a graphic novel
-Create logos and design work for prestigious clients, which include but aren't limited to: literally any large company
-Start gardening again
-Rescue at least one shelter pit bull (I can't while I'm still living in my apt)
-Purchase a real house for myrself and my boyfriend
-Own a horse
-Keep a small coop of chickens
-Design/purchase a tiny house
-Achieve my ideal body
-Visit Olympic National Park and the Hoh Rainforest again
-Spend a couple days at Cedar Point
-Vacation in Tahiti in one of those cool overwater bungalows
-Pet a shark
-Change someone's life for the better

Obviously it's still a work in progress, but it's a start. I love seeing everyone's different goals and dreams :>

Ohhh a horse? So would you get a home somewhere in the countryside with a paddock?

So which one of those things do you think you will be able to achieve first KryingKraken?

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby KryingKraken » Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:52 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Ohhh a horse? So would you get a home somewhere in the countryside with a paddock?

So which one of those things do you think you will be able to achieve first KryingKraken?

That would be ideal, but if I couldn't find a place like that I would board it somewhere until I could. And honestly, the closest thing I could achieve on that list right now is the prestigious client one; several companies hire designers through my school.
(edited my shitty grammar since this response was typed approximately at 7 AM and I wasn't quite awake)

Don't mind me.
KryingKraken
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: Professional Klutz™

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Feb 21, 2018 11:09 pm

I'm going to remind you how easy it is to spend a couple days at Cedar Point, provided you have the funds.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

PreviousNext