What is on your bucket list?

Discussion, in general

Re: What is on your bucket list?

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:07 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Which do you think you will be most likely to achieve first?

Probably getting a job; I’ll need that for almost everything else on the list, directly or indirectly.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Feb 26, 2018 11:54 pm

Malfeasinator wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:That sounds awesome LunarTeaHouse, maybe get a rooster as an alarm clock too. Once I achieve making a perfect garden (my little slice of Eden I'd call it) I wouldn't mind to raise a few chickens like you and KryingKraken both desire.

Malfeasinator wrote:
Doodle Dee. Snickers wrote:- Publish a novel
- Drink more
- Bench 315 lbs
- Drink even more
- Make over 50k a year
- Continue drinking
- Die young and have my ashes scattered into a headwind to spray on the person standing behind the scatterer
- If I do fail to die young, survive long enough to witness Armageddon
- Maybe have a few more drinks while Armageddon happens

*adds "Bench 315 lbs" to my Reverse Bucket List*

Wow, 315 lbs? That's around 140ish kg right? How much can you bench press at the moment Mr. Snickers?

As for Malfeasinator, you already lifted 315lbs? That's impressive, how much could you lift now? When did you achieve that?

I can't lift CRAP now. I well, I don't know, maybe around 200 if I went right now, realistically 180, probably, but I was young, I was 24, 25, (so, 2005) and I'd been lifting on and off since I was 16. I had a couple co-workers I lifted with at the time, and they were good spotters and motivation. I also had some lessons from some older and more experienced lifters and I ate like mad.

My maximum bench ever was 515 lbs. I got 540 half-way up but I don't count that one. I was doing negatives with 630 (that's where you have someone help you raise it up and then just make the descent as slow as possible coming down - I learned that you could usually hold up more than you can push up, and you're still resisting against more weight - doing that helped my bench grow in leaps and bounds).

I stopped lifting like that for a couple reasons: one, after the 450 mark, the whole experience changes, and it's not just a lift anymore. You are being crushed, and it entirely feels like it, even down in your bones. It's a completely different experience and it's never pleasant. It was always kind of scary for me and I was relieved when the lift was over.

The second reason was that my co-workers made other plans. The one guy changed companies and careers to make more money elsewhere, and I don't blame him. The other guy started a serious relationship and spent all his time with his new girlfriend, a lady he's married to these days, with children. It was hard to do what I was trying to do all by myself, and I didn't really know anybody else at the gym to ask them to help me out. I'm not sure how many of them actually could help me out. I pretty much required 2 spotters.

A third reason, and this was more maybe after the fact, was that I started to feel like I wasn't really following my own goals, that my power had been something that I was achieving for other people. If I'd thought better of it, I would have trained more for just general fitness and maybe to look better.

I was lifting by myself one day, on a safer machine instead of free weights, so in case I dropped the weights, they wouldn't crash because there was an opening in the center. I put 450 on there and got it up for one rep. There were these young guys who accused me of being on something, saying stuff like "I could lift like that too if I was on steroids." I thought "What are you guys bitching about? You're in great shape, you're young, girls probably don't leave you alone. What's the problem?" And then I realized I would have rather looked like them. I didn't want to be big. Being big isn't attractive. It frightens people away.

So that's probably a little more info than you asked for but I hope it's a satisfying answer to your questions.

That certainly was a satisfying answer and a good read, thank you Malfeasinator.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Grimstone » Tue Feb 27, 2018 3:32 am

related: https://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2017/07/170710091652.htm

Physical strength might stem as much from exercising the nervous system as the muscles it controls. The findings could explain why those who lift heavier weights enjoy greater strength gains than low-load lifters despite similar growth in muscle mass.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:04 pm

Malfeasinator wrote:
My maximum bench ever was 515 lbs. I got 540 half-way up but I don't count that one. I was doing negatives with 630 (that's where you have someone help you raise it up and then just make the descent as slow as possible coming down - I learned that you could usually hold up more than you can push up, and you're still resisting against more weight - doing that helped my bench grow in leaps and bounds).

Damn, Malf. What are you, a Russian curler?

In all seriousness, those are some impressive numbers. Hereafter, I will be imagining you as a bald, moustachioed circus strongman juggling sledgehammers and bending steel pipes over your knee and shit.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby MuteAnt » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:00 pm

DoglovingJim wrote:Miserable break-up? Sounds like me, you are certainly not alone with that one mate.

Which of those things do you think you'll be able to do first MuteAnt?

P.S, I hardly ever seen you on this forum if at all, do you think you'll be commenting a lot more now?

The bike will probably be first. In fact, I’m at the dealership right now trying to get the financing going. Hopefully they don’t notice how poor I really am.

I used to frequent the site a lot more back in the day, but since I’ve been on Discord and everyone was super nice I am planning to be more active. (Don’t let the nine days that have passed since I last posted deceive you.) In actuality I never really left since I’ve been lurking in the shadows watching everybody’s every move. EVERY SINGLE MOVE. You should be ashamed.

May contain peanuts.
MuteAnt
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Thu Mar 01, 2018 11:15 pm

MuteAnt wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:Miserable break-up? Sounds like me, you are certainly not alone with that one mate.

Which of those things do you think you'll be able to do first MuteAnt?

P.S, I hardly ever seen you on this forum if at all, do you think you'll be commenting a lot more now?

The bike will probably be first. In fact, I’m at the dealership right now trying to get the financing going. Hopefully they don’t notice how poor I really am.

I used to frequent the site a lot more back in the day, but since I’ve been on Discord and everyone was super nice I am planning to be more active. (Don’t let the nine days that have passed since I last posted deceive you.) In actuality I never really left since I’ve been lurking in the shadows watching everybody’s every move. EVERY SINGLE MOVE. You should be ashamed.

It's certainly good to hear that you are planning to be more active, good luck on getting the financing going and I look forward to you being able to tick that thing off your list.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Mar 14, 2018 7:33 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:
Malfeasinator wrote:

Damn, Malf. What are you, a Russian curler?

In all seriousness, those are some impressive numbers. Hereafter, I will be imagining you as a bald, moustachioed circus strongman juggling sledgehammers and bending steel pipes over your knee and shit.

Thanks. I'm just some guy. I had some fun when I was young. I wanted to see how far I could go.

I could tell you a lot of stories of crazier strong guys, dedicated guys who really put a lot of time and effort into becoming something more, but that would probably have to be its own thread.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:06 am

New item on my list, I always wanted to do a historical reenactment of something. Whether I'm dressed up as a medieval knight or a miner in the gold rush I do not mind.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sun Mar 25, 2018 1:35 am

jbobsully11 wrote:-Find a mate.

I hear if you go to Australia it's easy to find a mate.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Mar 25, 2018 7:33 am

cmsellers wrote:
jbobsully11 wrote:-Find a mate.

I hear if you go to Australia it's easy to find a mate.

Yeah mate, everyone here is a mate.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Mon Mar 26, 2018 1:23 pm

Learn Spanish or Japanese. It's been years and I still haven't decided on learning one or the other and I have no plans of learning both (so this may never happen).

Travel to South America to the Amazonian Basin, locate an indigenous shaman and acquire ayahuasca from them, consume the entheogenic brew and head out into the heart of the Amazonian rainforest to begin the most epic spirit journey ever. (this may happen).

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby cmsellers » Mon Mar 26, 2018 6:29 pm

Grimstone wrote:Learn Spanish or Japanese. It's been years and I still haven't decided on learning one or the other and I have no plans of learning both (so this may never happen).

Tough choice indeed. On one hand, Spanish is easier and more useful.

On the other hand, Japanese tells people you're a weeb and is therefore excellent normie-repellant.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:09 pm

In your case Spanish sounds more useful considering lots of people speak it in South America (isn't it one of the most popular languages there?), so when you go there you can actually understand some of the gibberish people are saying to you and it makes for a more enlightening journey.

Not to mention chicks dig Spanish and it's easier to learn, speak Japanese and then you get kamikaze swooping down on you screaming obscenities. Jim chooses Spanish for you, so that your indecisiveness may conclude and you can achieve both your goals. Spanish is the far more logical choice.

Vaya con Dios.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Previous