Black History Month on TCS (Choose Black guy- Talk)

Discussion, in general

Black History Month on TCS (Choose Black guy- Talk)

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:31 am

The previous threads got locked, and I never got a chance to really say anything. And then I discovered I need time to think, damnit.

If any of you have a historical black person, talk about him here. Hell, bring the controversial ones too. If not, say you don't live in a place that oppressed black people or whatever, theres no judgement for not saying anything.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Black History Month on TCS (Choose Black guy- Talk)

Postby DamianaRaven » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:38 am

I wrote:Let's start with the obvious: Barack Hussein Obama II. He is easily one of the most amazing men I've seen, black OR white. When he first got elected, I prayed for him every day. "Please God, don't let some racist jackass assassinate this brave man." His willingness (and ability) to be the first black leader of one of the most racist countries in the world will NEVER fail to humble my arrogant ass. I have more than my fair share of courage, but all of that is EASILY exceeded by whatever bravery exists in Mr. Obama's pinky toe!

Courage aside, he is by far my favorite President ever, trailed distantly by Mr. Clinton. I could go on and on about his humility and sense of humor and intelligence but instead, let's be crude. He's also (in my opinion) the handsomest man to ever take office. I literally cannot see him smile without feeling a little bit of joy in my heart. That goofy, big-eared grin just melts my heart. Every. Fucking. Time. Then there's the incomparable marriage between him and Mrs. Obama. No President has ever looked at his First Lady the way he looks at her... and by all appearances, she truly deserves it! Plus, she will fucking cut you if you try to take her man! I would NOT want to be thrown to the mat with that woman - she would kick my ass!

I am so proud to say that he's the first President I ever really voted for. Before him, I just wrote snarky shit in the write-in blank. He showed me what courage really is, and taught me that my own is (falsely) bolstered by a metric fuckton of White Privilege. In any case, he is the person who most makes me think of the importance of Black History. Thank God for Barack Hussein Obama II!

I had another contemporary black role model to talk about, but I'll save her to bring up later if she isn't mentioned. In the meantime, tell me about what black person (modern or historical) that you admire and why. Also, we can talk about why we call them "black" people when clearly their skin is brown. On the other side of the coin, my skin isn't white either. The late great Carlin suggested that it's all a semantic mind-fuck. You can't divide a population by calling them peach and brown. You have to make them feel like opposites and what better way to do that than label them "black" and "white"?

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:24 am

*thinks for a moment*

I guess always thought Mace Windu was pretty cool, personally I don't believe that he died and have hope that he was able to survive the Jedi purge.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:30 am

Malcolm X-

He gets a bad rap because, in comparison to the apparently benevolent MLK Jr., His ideology of Black Nationalism comes off as divisive and hateful and overly broadly disparaging. At some points, the proposition of acting violently against society just adds to the sense that theres no way he could be supported by the well meaning.

But, it sort of makes sense if you saw it a different way. Like this: He was born in a world of rights, that on the surface promised to every member the guarantee that their rights are theres and will be respected by governing authority. But, personal experience showed him that this was not true. Yeah, Something stood in the way. Its uncomfortable to say, but hear me out.

Lets say that you were in church and some kids from a local mosque defaced your church. You bring your complaint to the muslims from that mosque and they nod respectfully, but do nothing. It happens again, and you're rather annoyed which makes them rather annoyed, and no suspects were named and no damages paid. It happens again and again until one day, you catch the bastards in the act and give them what for. But, as a result, the people of the local mosque react with utmost offense. "How dare you do that to our boys, you Christian criminals!" Weren't you the one in the right for acting as you did, and the Mosque in the wrong for doing nothing except attacking you when you defended yourself? In this scenario, the Mosque identified themselves as unneighborly, unjust, and probably hostile. In short, they became an Outgroup. Its okay to be violent with them because they never respected what was yours to start with.

In like manner, Malcom X took white people and white society to be an outgroup. They were hostile to black people, willing to use covert and overt means to kill black leaders and movement members and subvert and destroy black political projects meant to help, apparently resented when they showed any independence of self-sufficiency, and stood in the way of rights. If someone kept getting in the doorway of your house, you'd be totally justified in beating them, to death even. So he promoted Black Nationalism, and all the uglier implications that came with Nationalism was sanctioned. Because, in his reasoning, again, you shouldn't have to be nice to a people who violate your rights and apparently hate you. Also He converted to Islam because he wanted a greater gulf between himself and the outgroup, and saw Christianity as white religion meant to keep black people accepting of oppression. He went on to join Elijah Muhammad's Nation of Islam, and tried to encourage other Black Nationalist or Black Liberation groups to join his project because he thought it didn't matter who helped him, it just had to be done.

You know how the story ends. A trip to Mecca proved to be rather revelatory about how the rest of the world saw the color issue (irrelevant or indistinguishable compared to them), he had come to understand that maybe he had something in common with white people, and maybe he was not right in his ideas of universal hostility to them. But, for that change of heart, he was assassinated by another member of the very weapon he created.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:31 am

DoglovingJim wrote:*thinks for a moment*

I guess always thought Mace Windu was pretty cool, personally I don't believe that he died and have hope that he was able to survive the Jedi purge.

Spoiler: show

Fictional Black dudes is a-okay, I guess.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:51 am

Krashlia wrote:
DoglovingJim wrote:*thinks for a moment*

Fictional Black dudes is a-okay, I guess.

Wait, what do you mean fictional? Everyone knows that Star Wars is a true story that occurred a long time ago in a galaxy far far away.

Anyway...

Next on my list would be Red from the documentary called "The Shawshank Redemption", now that's a man that anyone would love to have as his friend.

Ohhhh... Teofilo Stevenson! Him too, he was a Cuban boxer and was once offered millions to defect and fight the Champion Muhammad Ali. He rejected this offer stating something along the lines of "what are eight million dollars compared to the love of eight million Cubans?". I tell you he was an excellent boxer, one of the few Olympic boxers to be able to get 3 gold medals. Personally I feel that if he fought Muhammad Ali then he would have probably won. Muhammad Ali himself was almost certain that Stevenson would accept saying he would be a fool to reject the money offered. But still loyalty towards his people was greater than all the money in the world and I respect that. The man had principles, he had integrity.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Wed Feb 14, 2018 11:58 am

Of course fictional black people are allowed, this thread started with a fictional black dude, since the actual Obama got a peace prize for nothing, expanded the surveilance state, destroyed Libya, and /actually/ jailed journalists and whistleblowers and drone-assassinated little children.

He's every bit as problematic as any american president, but his skin colour rendered him entirely immune to criticism because of schizophrenic media with the memory of goldfish and a population of white-guilt bearing doormats.

Obama's lasting legacy would be creating a US that could elect Trump, and he entirely deserves it.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Postby DoglovingJim » Wed Feb 14, 2018 12:54 pm

Good points, but I thought his legacy would be this?

And most importantly (but I could go on for hours),

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Wed Feb 14, 2018 1:42 pm

George Washington Carver: Growing up, this guy was in every history class I had, and they mostly just taught us that he made a lot of stuff with peanuts. As a kid, naturally, I assumed that meant he invented peanut butter, and when I found out he hadn't invented peanut butter, I just sort of yeah-yeah-ed my way through that day of history. Then I got to read about his life story sometime in high school. Step aside, Mace Windu, because a real bad mother-fucker is about to take center stage:

To start with, the guy was born a slave. He called himself Carver's George (Carver being the last name of his slave owner) until some woman told him his name would be George Carver from thereon out.He pursued education, even though a lot of schools wouldn't accept him, and at one point he had to leave a city because he'd seen a black man get murdered by whites.

He got turned down for college at one point because he was black, so he farmed and worked side jobs to earn cash. When he finally got into a college, he studied art, and because he was so good at drawing plants, someone talked him into studying botany. He went in as the first black student ever admitted to his university, and he wound up getting a Master's degree.

He taught at Tuskegee, where he was sort of shunned because he'd gotten a Master's from a white school, and he made himself a royal pain-in-the-butt because he disagreed with a lot of Booker T.'s management. He researched peanuts at Tuskegee, but also sweet potatoes and all sorts of other stuff. He was one of the first to advocate for the use of nitrogen-fixing crops for soil-improvement. The dude testified in Congress about peanuts, and even though some of the redneck Congressmen were critical of him because of race, he kept getting time-extensions on his testimony, because (I guess), he really knew about peanuts.

Calvin Coolidge and Franklin Roosevelt both met with him (presumably to talk about peanuts). That's pretty damn impressive. Oh, wait...*Prepares mic*...Henry Ford built the guy an elevator at his work-place when he got older, because a guy that important shouldn't have to take the stairs. *Lets the mic tremble a bit* Oh, wait, also...Teddy Mother-Fucking Roosevelt met with him and publicly admired him.

*Drops mic*

That's how you do a history lesson, Ms. Adams.

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby Absentia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 4:38 pm

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Of course fictional black people are allowed, this thread started with a fictional black dude, since the actual Obama got a peace prize for nothing, expanded the surveilance state, destroyed Libya, and /actually/ jailed journalists and whistleblowers and drone-assassinated little children.

He's every bit as problematic as any american president, but his skin colour rendered him entirely immune to criticism because of schizophrenic media with the memory of goldfish and a population of white-guilt bearing doormats.

Obama's lasting legacy would be creating a US that could elect Trump, and he entirely deserves it.

...Is this really the time and place for that? I'd be happy to argue with you in CAASS.

So, black people who are cool:

• LeVar Burton - Probably the second coolest guy on the Enterprise-D, and there's no shame in finishing second to Patrick Stewart in a cool contest. (For that matter, Michael Dorn and Whoopi Goldberg were pretty great on that show too.) But then LeVar dedicated his coolness to make reading cool, which is possibly even cooler than anything Patrick Stewart has done.
  • Neil deGrasse Tyson - Speaking of guys who make learning things cool, he's the best ambassador for astronomy since Carl Sagan and a great role model for aspiring black scientists. If I could sit down and shoot the breeze with any living person I think he'd be on my short list. (Also on that list: Patrick Stewart.)
  • Louis Armstrong - I played the trumpet in school, so I can say with some authority that it's not easy to make it sound as good as he did. It also wasn't easy for black guys to become beloved cultural icons at that time but he was just so damn likable. I'd like to say that he made me cooler by association, but that's simply too much to ask of anybody.
  • Malcolm Gladwell - You may not even be aware that he's 1/4 black Jamaican, but it's true. He's just an incredibly interesting writer and interviewer. Outliers might be the best work of nonfiction I've ever read. I'm basically a Gladwell fanboy.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Wed Feb 14, 2018 5:28 pm

Mans1ay3r

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:12 pm

Absentia wrote:
A Combustible Lemon wrote:Of course fictional black people are allowed, this thread started with a fictional black dude, since the actual Obama got a peace prize for nothing, expanded the surveilance state, destroyed Libya, and /actually/ jailed journalists and whistleblowers and drone-assassinated little children.

...Is this really the time and place for that? I'd be happy to argue with you in CAASS.

I think its fair game. Its Black history, after all.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:04 pm

Marcuse wrote:Mans1ay3r

swag.jpg
swag.jpg (88.52 KiB) Viewed 4980 times

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Wed Feb 14, 2018 9:35 pm

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Piter Lauchy » Thu Feb 15, 2018 11:46 am

Terry Crews. He could crush you with his little finger, but he won't, because he's Terry Crews.

The Oatmeal wrote:Live life passionately and love everyone like they are family, because Jesus is always with you. Jesus loves you seriously bigtime. He'd hug you until your eyeballs exploded out of your skull if he ever met you. He'd windsurf across oceans of dead Nazis which he personally slaughtered just to tell you that your new haircut is the bee's knees. [...]
Praise Jesus, especially when it's sunny outside because Jesus would totally be cool with you praising while you get a nice tan.
Piter Lauchy
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Idk, someone give me one

Next