Aaaaannnndddd we're back

Discussion, in general

Aaaaannnndddd we're back

Postby Beernpotatoes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:56 am

So, it's been a while. I had kinda left this page for a while as it was finding its way. Sad to say, in the mean time, Cracked, from which this page spun itself off of, appears all but dead. For a guy who gets a kick out of irritating liberals, millennials and liberal millennials, it's a struggle to even find content that I can comment on over there. It seems like the articles they are throwing up are half-asased rehashes of stuff they've already done or rehashes of material pulled from sites like Mental Floss and UberFacts.

So, what say ye? Shall we pick up here where we left off and start submitting original content once again?

Can't a guy screw someone out of an honest buck without getting a big hassle?
Beernpotatoes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Location: In the back, toward the bathrooms, where I can scope out the women.
Show rep

Re: Aaaaannnndddd we're back

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:25 am

Welcome back.

The article process is running again with Kate at the helm but we don't have many editors. You're the third person who's offered to write articles recently, so I just volunteered to help. Of course I'm not the most reliable person, but then this is TCS, where looking for someone reliable is like looking for a ham sandwich in the Middle East.

cmsellers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby SandTea » Tue Jan 30, 2018 3:30 am

I thought Cracked was nothing but Liberal Millennial commentary? That's what most of the comments say. How are you not finding all the people who get triggered so easily? They do seem to be everywhere.

"Draw me not without reason; sheath me not without honor."
SandTea
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 3rdAeolus

Postby Krashlia » Tue Jan 30, 2018 4:10 am

Their latest okay article came from David Wong about a hypothetical future Trump.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Ladki96 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:35 am

That would be awesome! Perhaps we could start by posting sunny's story from the recent contest on the front page ^^

Ladki96
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: =)

Postby Beernpotatoes » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:26 pm

@cmsellers - I'd be a lousy editor with my dyslexia, but I'm happy to contribute what I can. Or, I could provide "first line" editing on proposed articles - tips on making them smoother and more appealing. But I'd still need someone to go behind me and edit for transposed letters and words out of place...

Beernpotatoes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Tesseracts » Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:31 pm

Glad you're back and want to contribute. Our editorial process is on hold right now because we actually need to find someone who can be head editor, but I have some in mind I will ask.

What's it like to have dyslexia and be a lawyer? I have a friend with dyslexia who is trying to get into grad school to study economics, so if you have any advice I could pass it on to him. His dyslexia is probably more severe than yours but his reading skill is much better than writing.

Tesseracts
Big Brother
Big Brother

Show rep
Title: Social Media Expert

Postby Beernpotatoes » Thu Feb 01, 2018 2:35 pm

Tesseracts wrote:Glad you're back and want to contribute. Our editorial process is on hold right now because we actually need to find someone who can be head editor, but I have some in mind I will ask.

What's it like to have dyslexia and be a lawyer? I have a friend with dyslexia who is trying to get into grad school to study economics, so if you have any advice I could pass it on to him. His dyslexia is probably more severe than yours but his reading skill is much better than writing.

Being old, I went through school before it was widely diagnosed. Instead, I was just told that I suck at spelling and math. I wasn't diagnosed until after college. Being a lawyer, it isn't that much of a handicap, because I don't work with numbers like an accountant or banker, and I don't do complex equations like an engineer. As long as I slow down, proof everything, and make sure that a good paralegal proofs everything again before it goes out, I usually avoid embarrassing mistakes. My advice is to really understand and accept your specific limitations and find ways to work around them.

Other than that - practice practice practice and slooooowwww down. A lot of dyslexics have brains that move faster than their motor functions, so our writing ends up bumbling along trying to keep up with our thoughts. Ask your friend if it often feels like he has 15000 thoughts going through his mind at once. Ask him if he gets impatient waiting for people to get to their point in a conversation because he's already three steps ahead of the speaker. I discovered that I could stop typing some long-winded, dull legal brief mid-sentence, go to a meeting, run to the court for an appearance, get lunch, and then sit back down at my computer and pick up right where I left off, mid-sentence because the thoughts I was having at the time never left my brain. I also get a lot of headaches.

Another thing that helps is finding what I call total immersion hobbies. Like flying an airplane or riding a motorcycle - to do things like that you have to use both hands and feet and use total concentration. That pushes everything else out of your mind and it can be really relaxing. If I sit on a beach with a drink in my hand, I will go batshit crazy in five minutes because I'm constantly thinking about everything I am not doing. But when I'm flying, I get into a mental zone where I can finally calm down. Although, I DO drive air traffic controllers crazy calling out wrong runways and headings :)

Beernpotatoes
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep