The absolute WORST thing you've ever tasted?

Discussion, in general

Re: The absolute WORST thing you've ever tasted?

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:15 am

I can vouch for the milk thing. It's not just the horrible, soul-rending taste of it. There's also the issue of texture, like it's full of dozens and dozens of loogies. *shudders* Yep, gonna add "badly spoiled milk" to my list!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Postby Krashlia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:21 am

Nacho cheese jelly beans. For a brief moment, I wished I didn't have a tongue.

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Krashlia » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:23 am

Malfeasinator wrote:Ha, trying to trick us into telling gross personal stories so you have blackmail material on us later. I see through your little ruse. Classic.

VOTE MAL FOR PREZ 2040

Uhhh, so... Is there something particularly strange... That you tasted?
(Prepares to grimace)

Krashlia
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DamianaRaven » Mon Jan 01, 2018 10:46 am

Most everyone has tasted something horrifying in their life. Babies will cram anything into their slobber-hole!

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Mon Jan 01, 2018 7:47 pm

jbobsully11 wrote:I thought about this for a while, and I think it may be expired milk.

That's actually pretty close to one of my real answer candidates: expired apple cider.

I always brought my lunch to school, and my parents would sometimes pack me juice in a thermos. Sometimes I wouldn't drink it all. So my father would just reuse the same juice without refrigerating it. One time it happened that I didn't finish my cider on Friday. On Monday I demanded to know why he'd given me wine (I'd previously mistaken wine for sugar water and grape juice, but it wasn't as bad as this), and after he figured out what had happened he cracked up, which didn't abate my anger any.

The other candidate was in large part a matter of expectations. We had hosted a Japanese student and at the "thank you" dinner they had wafers out. In my childhood we'd hosted Japanese students and they'd given us these delicious hawthorn wafers. There were things out at the table that looked like hawthorn wafers, so I took one, opened it, and put it in my mouth. It was the most intense shrimp taste I'd ever tasted. Even my mother who likes shrimp thought they were too intense. And I hate the taste of shrimp.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby ghijkmnop » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:43 am

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby DamianaRaven » Tue Jan 02, 2018 3:50 am

Yeah, you gotta get a running start at certain medications. I think some of them are made to taste terrible just to keep kids out of them. I mean, I can't imagine someone making a cough syrup and just not caring what it tastes like, so I can only assume the horrible taste is deliberate. I guess if it saves some kid's life, it's worth a bad taste in my mouth.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby CarrieVS » Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:22 pm

I've tasted a few foods that I really couldn't stand, and there was that one time I bit into a fish oil capsule just to see what it was like, and that was pretty bad.

But I think a strong contender was when I was about four or five. I used to have terrible ear infections as a child, which were excruciatingly painful. Rather than Calpol (paracetamol - acetominophen to USAliens - suspension for kids, tastes good) which I usually got given when I was poorly, for this I used to have some medicine that came in soluble tablets. I imagine that was paracetamol too, but I don't know.

So on one occasion I crept into my parents' room, I think I was in tears from the pain. My dad got up and came back in a couple of minutes with a mug containing my medicine. I was in the habit of gulping it down, because it tasted relatively foul.

At this time, Alby was a baby, and sometimes had bottles, which had to be sterilised. The sterilising chemicals came in soluble tablets. You can probably see where this is going.

I don't remember if I just started being sick, or if my mum noticed something first, but I'd gulped most of the mug down by then, and proceeded to vomit it all back up, while still in pain with my ear. I didn't suffer any harm from it, but it was not an experience I was anxious to repeat.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby Absentia » Wed Jan 03, 2018 2:25 am

If we're counting things not intended for eating, I once decided to take a sip of bubble bath when I was very small. I don't recommend it.

If we're only talking about foodstuffs, something about raw onion just makes me gag.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby RatElemental » Wed Jan 03, 2018 3:42 am

The only thing I can remember actually spitting out because I couldn't stand the taste of it was some swedish meatballs my mom made when I was young.

This is including the small sample of moldy cheese I ate the other night to see if it was still good. (It was before I saw the mold)

Edit: Also, related to the post above mine, I will eat slices of raw onions as a snack.

You just started to
Read the Haiku that you have
Just finished reading
RatElemental
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Jan 04, 2018 1:47 pm

Krashlia wrote:
Malfeasinator wrote:Ha, trying to trick us into telling gross personal stories so you have blackmail material on us later. I see through your little ruse. Classic.

VOTE MAL FOR PREZ 2040

Uhhh, so... Is there something particularly strange... That you tasted?
(Prepares to grimace)

You know what? I wasn't going to answer this. But then I saw the wussy entries everybody else put up. You guys haven't really lived.

Yes. Celtic Festival "Haggis." I put that in quotes because although that's what they were calling it when they sold it to me back in 2001, I'm pretty sure the real thing, properly cooked, tastes thousands of times better. My family on my Dad's side has been in the US for over 200 years but in many ways they are still Scottish as fuck. I figured I could at least give it a try.

I'm the kind of person that can eat and like Scrapple. Okay, I eat weird combos of food that people tell me shouldn't work. They work for me. I like peanut butter on an egg salad sandwich; something about the egg salad really brings out the roasted flavor of the peanuts, and I'm absolutely not kidding. And this stuff they served, on that particular day, this godawfully monstrous, warm, grey goop that I had back in the more innocent days of my youth, was the absolute worst.

I could only get three bites down. It definitely tasted "gamey" - that's not a good enough descriptor for "my mind was screaming to me that there was something horribly off about this", but it'll have to do. Each bite was awful, a completely forced effort against my own will. After the third bite, my gag reflex started kicking in. I couldn't do it anymore.

It had the consistency of mashed potatoes made out of mystery meat, and the color of next-day deer brains on your car after you hit one on the way to work. I could have sworn it had hairs in it. It literally tasted like nothing I have had before, or since.

I have to say though, that vendor did make some decent meat pies.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Deathclaw_Puncher » Sun Jan 07, 2018 7:38 am

An Irish cream caramel hot chocolate sounds pretty good, right? Not when it's a hot chocolate flavor at 7-11, which I found out the hard way.

Deathclaw_Puncher
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Queen of the Furrets

Postby DamianaRaven » Sun Jan 07, 2018 8:29 am

Speaking of caramel, this stuff (Salted Caramel Pepsi) is actually a lot better than it sounds. They've always used "caramel coloring" in cola, so maybe it's just a natural fit.

DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Tuli » Sun Jan 07, 2018 11:03 am

Vodka and cheap baijiu. Honestly I find all hard liquors pretty repellent (with the exception of maybe rum and jäger), but just thinking about those two makes me gag. Oh, also some beers with a high alcohol content. Groooss. And I have the misfortune of having tasted human piss as part of a prank when I was a teenager... it wasn't as bad as these things.

Tuli
TCS Camper
TCS Camper

Show rep
Title: Experimental Protrude

Postby emm » Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:32 pm

Speaking of alcoholic beverages, I was once offered honeydew melon and raspberry-flavored cider. Ugh. It sort of reminded me of a cheap, sickly sweet cough syrup, but was somehow even worse. The aftertaste!
I ended up sticking to vodka...

Of course I am an angel, the horns are just to keep the halo straight.
emm
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep

PreviousNext