Investment discussion

Discussion, in general

Investment discussion

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:20 am

Recently I got into buying stocks and decided to create this thread on investing seeing how we don't have one really.
  • 5

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
User avatar
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm
Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Windy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:03 am

TEACH ME HOW
  • 5

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

Re: Investment discussion

Postby DamianaRaven » Thu Nov 30, 2017 3:15 am

Avoid listening to this guy:

phpBB [video]


In fact, you might want to do the opposite of anything he says!
  • 6

Every once in a while, declare peace. It confuses the hell out of your enemies. (76th Rule of Acquisition)
User avatar
DamianaRaven
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 5978
Joined: Mon Apr 15, 2013 3:37 am
Location: Yippee-ki-yay, motherfuckers!
Show rep
Title: Crazy Cunt

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Malfeasinator » Thu Nov 30, 2017 5:36 am

Sex, Drugs, and Alcohol will always sell. Remember that and you'll weather the coming apocalypse just fine.
  • 9

Are you dreaming?
Are you dreaming?
User avatar
Malfeasinator
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 992
Joined: Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:17 pm
Location: Florida
Show rep
Title: Cracka Ass Cracka

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Absentia » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:56 am

To paraphrase my economics professor, the best way for normal investors to make money in the stock market is to buy index and mutual funds and sit on them. Trying to outsmart the market these days is crazy because you're competing with buildings full of math postdocs with supercomputers and more data than you ever knew existed. If there's a stock that's undervalued in any perceivable way, they'll perceive it and buy it up before you can finish blinking.

Trying to pick winners Jim Cramer style is like playing poker against the best players in the world while wearing a blindfold, and also some of the players are probably cheating, and also every time you make a bet you have to pay a commission to some middleman. This is why Jim Cramer makes his money by being on TV and not as a day trader.
  • 15

User avatar
Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator
 
Posts: 1749
Joined: Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:46 am
Location: Earth
Show rep

Re: Investment discussion

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Nov 30, 2017 2:10 pm

Absentia wrote:To paraphrase my economics professor, the best way for normal investors to make money in the stock market is to buy index and mutual funds and sit on them. Trying to outsmart the market these days is crazy because you're competing with buildings full of math postdocs with supercomputers and more data than you ever knew existed. If there's a stock that's undervalued in any perceivable way, they'll perceive it and buy it up before you can finish blinking.

Trying to pick winners Jim Cramer style is like playing poker against the best players in the world while wearing a blindfold, and also some of the players are probably cheating, and also every time you make a bet you have to pay a commission to some middleman. This is why Jim Cramer makes his money by being on TV and not as a day trader.


This is absolutely correct. The best type of funds to use are ones with a lot of investors (like Vanguard) because this allows them to charge minimal fees for maintaining their accounts.

Due to regulatory reasons (I am a [urlhttps://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Registered_representative_(securities)]registered representative[/url]) I can't really give any more specific advice than that, but I would be happy to answer any general questions people have about the stock market and things like that.
  • 9

User avatar
IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin
 
Posts: 1499
Joined: Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:00 am
Location: Inside the "Cone of Uncertainty"
Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Re: Investment discussion

Postby satan_n_stuff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:15 pm

I'm seriously considering putting some money into Ubisoft. Bound to be better than a savings account, which I don't have because of archaic tax laws.
It would appear that I could use this to support the Guillemot family in some small measure to try to keep Ubisoft taking risks to make actually good games rather than the safe generic exploitative games Vivendi would have them make.
It's a bigger vote than I get for national elections anyway, plus I'd actually be making some money on my savings for once.
  • 4

Image
"edit: satan_n_stuff beat me to it " was also the entry god made in his journal after "tomorrow I'll make animals for Australia" - Flotze
"But you're beautiful Satan. You can do modeling or porn or something." - cmsellers
User avatar
satan_n_stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:24 pm
Show rep
Title: The Dark One

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Readersprite » Thu Nov 30, 2017 4:53 pm

Windy wrote:TEACH ME HOW


Well, you can use any number of smartphone apps at this point. Acorn and Robinhood being the best two. I recommend Robinhood because it doesn't charge you a fee, unlike most other apps, and signing up vis-a-vis this link nets you a free stock to get you started.

Does anyone wanna share their investment choices? Absentia is right in that we don't really have the resources to outwit the big guys, but if you keep your investment small, you might as well treat it as a game.
  • 5

I really like it here.
User avatar
Readersprite
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 133
Joined: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:57 am
Location: Land of Stumps and Dismay
Show rep
Title: Thief of Blood

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Cobra-D » Thu Nov 30, 2017 7:43 pm

satan_n_stuff wrote:I'm seriously considering putting some money into Ubisoft. Bound to be better than a savings account, which I don't have because of archaic tax laws.
It would appear that I could use this to support the Guillemot family in some small measure to try to keep Ubisoft taking risks to make actually good games rather than the safe generic exploitative games Vivendi would have them make.
It's a bigger vote than I get for national elections anyway, plus I'd actually be making some money on my savings for once.

I was gonna buy EA stocks while they're low, actually talking about EA was the reason we started talking about starting to trade stocks.
  • 1

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
User avatar
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm
Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Investment discussion

Postby satan_n_stuff » Thu Nov 30, 2017 8:09 pm

Cobra-D wrote:
satan_n_stuff wrote:I'm seriously considering putting some money into Ubisoft. Bound to be better than a savings account, which I don't have because of archaic tax laws.
It would appear that I could use this to support the Guillemot family in some small measure to try to keep Ubisoft taking risks to make actually good games rather than the safe generic exploitative games Vivendi would have them make.
It's a bigger vote than I get for national elections anyway, plus I'd actually be making some money on my savings for once.

I was gonna buy EA stocks while they're low, actually talking about EA was the reason we started talking about starting to trade stocks.

If you're just in it to make some money, that's not a bad idea. EA will bounce back as they always do because idiots keep buying their games. It is however one of the worst possible picks for someone who cares about the future of the games industry.
  • 1

Image
"edit: satan_n_stuff beat me to it " was also the entry god made in his journal after "tomorrow I'll make animals for Australia" - Flotze
"But you're beautiful Satan. You can do modeling or porn or something." - cmsellers
User avatar
satan_n_stuff
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
 
Posts: 234
Joined: Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:24 pm
Show rep
Title: The Dark One

Re: Investment discussion

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:30 pm

Windy wrote:TEACH ME HOW


Get job with 401k. Worked for me. I is invested in stock markets now.
  • 4

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
User avatar
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper
 
Posts: 6554
Joined: Fri Apr 19, 2013 10:08 am
Location: Route 11 by Scoopalicious
Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Re: Investment discussion

Postby NathanLoiselle » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:45 am

I am invested in investing my investment portfolio. Now where do I send my moneys? Do I throw it at the screen like normal people do?
  • 2

User avatar
NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 4254
Joined: Wed Jul 09, 2014 3:49 am
Location: You'll Never Know!
Show rep

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Windy » Sat Dec 02, 2017 2:27 am

Theoretically you can invest money for Runescape gold and use that to do daytrading in Runescape with no transaction fees (but a buy limit), then sell it for real money. Of course if Jagex finds out you get banned and lose everything.
  • 1

User avatar
Windy
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie
 
Posts: 3103
Joined: Fri May 29, 2015 11:41 am
Show rep

Re: Investment discussion

Postby Cobra-D » Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:39 am

so anyone know if the new tax bill will any effects on investing?
  • 0

The truth is like poetry, everyone fucking hates poetry.
User avatar
Cobra-D
TCS Camper
TCS Camper
 
Posts: 856
Joined: Tue Apr 16, 2013 5:46 pm
Show rep
Title: The Witty Flirt

Re: Investment discussion

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:51 pm

I really want to do something with Bitcoin but have no idea where to get started.
  • 3

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
User avatar
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight
 
Posts: 4142
Joined: Sat Mar 07, 2015 8:55 pm
Location: Inside your ear canal
Show rep

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests