What does your perfect website look like?

Discussion, in general

What does your perfect website look like?

Postby archaeologydalek » Mon Oct 30, 2017 12:44 am

REDACTED

Last edited by archaeologydalek on Sat Feb 10, 2018 7:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
archaeologydalek
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep

Re: What does your perfect website look like?

Postby clownpiece » Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:14 am

I like sparse pictures in my listicles. Writing > pictures for me! As for ads, I absolutely despise animated ads, the giant square ads (banners, please!) and whatever "Adult" Anime MMO ads are out for the week.

One thing I hate in websites is infinite scroll, unless there's some kind of "save your spot" feature. Nothing more annoying than having to spend more time trying to find where you left off than actually viewing the content.

I love, love, love websites that still function perfectly when zoomed out! I often have my screen split between two windows, and sometimes that requires zooming out real far. So, no static headers or sidebars or anything like that. Those usually get in the way.

clownpiece
Commenter
Commenter

Show rep
Title: fwip

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:37 am

I’d like more websites to be like this, or maybe this.

But seriously, I’d definitely visit a site similar to what Cracked used to be, with a good mix of pure humor and informative (but still funny) articles. Then again, I haven’t really gone too far out of my way to look for such a site, so it may already exist. I’m also in favor of less-terrible ads, whenever possible.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby sunglasses » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:33 pm

My perfect website doesn't routinely crash my browser and works on mobile.

I like to learn things. I like to read. I don't mind humor being parsed into that.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:41 pm

Something that tries to be objective.

1 - Politics are too divided, we need a platform that isn't afraid to call out everyone and anyone for going against their stated ideals. We've got right and left views so let's boil them down and try to find middle ground because that's where most voters find themselves irl.

2 - Sports, follow your team exclusively or deal with the popular teams getting coverage because clicks. It's like exactly either or. I'd like to know what is going on all over the league not just my team or whoever everyone else likes. So much info gets missed (imo) if you don't read stuff at the local level. And I don't even gamble.

3 - Video games, too many gushing reviews that shouldn't exist by people hoping to get a job in the industry. Too much fanboy shit going on too.

4 - Movies, well something needs to take control of talking about movies from fucking Rotten Tomatoes and their cherry picking of reviews that everyone likes to conveniently ignore. Can't even talk to people about a movie without "what did it get on Rotten Tomatoes" or "is it on Netflix?" being said to me.

Something that goes off the normal path when it is called for. Trash is trash, we know it's trash. One of my favorite things that Car and Driver does and has done is just do stuff. Instead of testing the Mitsubishi Outlander in Baja, Mexico at a Mitsu sponsored first drive event they took the vehicle (without permission) into a town and wrote a piece on that. Nobody cares about approach angles on a grocery getter, tell me about the day you had driving through another country.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Nov 06, 2017 6:51 am

The perfect website already exists. It has existed for a long time. It only gets better over time.

https://larrycarlson.com/

No but seriously, if I had more money, there'd be more like that site. A lot more. You could trip balls all day and night without drugs, or enhance your current drugged out state of mind. That would be my gift to the world.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy