How do you type?

Discussion, in general

How do you type?

On computers: The proper way, with all ten fingers.
16%
On computers: Ad hoc, with all ten fingers.
10%
On computers: Ad hoc with most of my fingers.
21%
On computers: Ad hoc with a minority of my fingers.
5%
On computers: Hunt-and-peck with one or a small number of fingers.
3%
On computers: Other.
3%
On mobile devices: The proper way with all ten fingers.
No votes
On mobile devices: Ad hoc with most of my fingers.
No votes
On mobile devices: Ad hoc with all the fingers on one hand.
No votes
On mobile devices: Ad hoc with a minority of my fingers.
15%
On mobile devices: Hunt-and-peck with one or a small number of fingers.
23%
On mobile devices: Other.
5%

Total votes : 62

Re: How do you type?

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun Sep 24, 2017 1:36 pm

For everybody who sucks at typing, check this out, it's a game. http://zty.pe/ It is also pretty awesome.
[made it to wave 13 just now, score of 1225, accuracy of 95.4%, longest streak of 95]

I type like an asshole.

Spoiler: show
I learned to type in high school, way back in the school year of 1995-1996. I might have talked about this somewhat in previous posts, I'm not sure.

My typing teacher got her jaw broken by a student who backhanded her with a wooden hall pass. She was out for a few months and we had substitute teachers who didn't know much about typing or our computer system at the time.

The previous year, hackers had knocked out all the school's computers for about 3 months with what they called "The Stealth Virus." There were versions A, B, and C of the virus, and every time they'd knock out one version, another would pop up. This sounds laughable nowadays, but people at large were pretty ignorant about computers at the time and network security was not much different. I knew a lot of students who ended up having to teach their own teachers things when it came to computery stuff.

This is all to say that the subs were sooo unprepared. We were using Windows 3.1 and you had to go through DOS to get it going. For those couple of months, many of us students decided we'd rather play Sim City or like, Chopper Commando, than actually do our work, and most of the time, we got away with it.

We did have to run a program that tested our typing speed, but when the sub wasn't looking, some of us would just jam on keys really fast and then record that as our score, because the program wasn't testing any kind of accuracy. Just jamming on keys, banging out gibberish, I got 330 wpm.

But the slacking off hurt my typing. We ended up moving past some things I should have worked harder on. I can type okay when it comes to everything except numbers and the whole corner past the letter P. I usually mess those up more than anything. I also don't have a good feel for differentiating between shift, control, alt, and so on, even after having played games for years, even getting into programming stuff. I hate these fuckers: {}, [], as well as +, =, _, -, \, and |, I'm not too keen on <, >, and /, and I don't do anything with the NumPad stuff.

I hate it when a programming environment automatically closes some braces or tries to do shortcut things for me, because it messes up my flow and I always have to delete the closing brace/bracket because it's not where I was going to put it.

I don't even use my laptop's built in mouse; I had to get a wireless mouse that has the USB plugin deal, because that's what feels more natural to me.

I hate typing on my phone. I am a big dude and have big thumbs. I turn autocorrect off because, as Matt Berry says, "You can fuck that sky high!" If shit lags and the typing cursor doesn't update on something as I'm typing, I get pissed off. And if I'm banging something out on my phone, I'm not going to give two shits about spelling errors; well, I'll give one shit, but only enough to make sure my words are legible and you know I'm not having a stroke.

I hate, hate hate hate, when the cursor gets auto-moved to some place when I'm in the middle of typing. Like if I type out my username real fast and I've moved on to the password, and the website FINALLY fully loads up and pushes me back to my username, I get mad, because it tends to happen while I'm still typing and now part of my password is visible.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby Grimstone » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:12 am

Malfeasinator wrote:For everybody who sucks at typing, check this out, it's a game. http://zty.pe/ It is also pretty awesome.

Reminded me of this VIM game I came across years ago. https://vim-adventures.com/

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby mancityfooty » Mon Sep 25, 2017 3:14 pm

typing class, junior year of high school, so '90?
fuck.
I can still type things mostly right without looking at the keyboard, I only hunt and peck when it comes to the numbers or anything on that top row.
mostly it depends. when I lost my fingernail, I still did a decent job with just 9 fingers.

72% Vanilla
mancityfooty
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Duke Mix a Lot

Postby Bromo » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:46 pm

Up until my Freshman year in high school, I typed only with my two index fingers because I was never formally taught the proper way to type. Once I took computer classes in high school, I was finally able to type using most of my fingers, and eventually I was able to type without ever looking at the keyboard. I think my record in those classes was 70 wpm or so. But I never seemed to grow accustomed to typing with all my fingers. I think I use all of them except my pinkies when typing on a computer.

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby NathanLoiselle » Tue Sep 26, 2017 1:23 am

With my fingers! Get it!? With ... my ... fingers.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby IamNotCreepy » Tue Sep 26, 2017 5:10 pm

With one hand.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby reallifegirl » Tue Sep 26, 2017 9:22 pm

When I went to Catholic school, we literally had a class that was just typing the proper way, hands in formation, for an hour at a time. Imagine 50 straight minutes of:

"Type k, then j, then l, then g, then b, then y, then r, then e"

All while the teacher monitored the room to make sure you didn't look at your hands.

The teacher wasn't a nun but I'm including this anyway.

I hated that fucking class. But then when I got really good at typing (read: when I started obsessively writing fanfiction around ages 13-14), I guess the 'proper typing formation' got stuck, so I can (for the most part) type properly with all 10 fingers.

As for mobile devices, I really just hold the phone in one hand and the thumb of that hand, or pointer finger of the opposite hand. I didn't even realize you could use all ten fingers with a phone.

"I can believe things that are true and things that aren't true and I can believe things where nobody knows if they're true or not."

Encyclopedia Dramatica wrote:Reallifegirl: Is supposedly a girl in real life, but we all know that's false. Gets highest comment roughly 75% of the time, and has never had a single red-thumbed comment. Ever.
reallifegirl
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Officially allegedly female

Postby LegionofShrooms » Thu Oct 05, 2017 4:16 am

I type naked, drunk, and full of regrets.

Tell your momma, tell your poppa, tell your sisters and your brothers, tell your lovers, tell your children, tell your dominatrix:

The Writing Workshop is where all the cool kids hang out.
LegionofShrooms
TCS Irregular
TCS Irregular

Show rep
Title: Mastermind of Fungi Based Evil

Postby Nullbert » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:05 pm

I type just like everyone else, I suppose:

First, I sacrifice a goat to the Great God Imhotep.
Then, I unzip my pants.
Finally, I just go to town on the keyboard, like it's come sort of phallic whack-a-mole game.

And that is why I'm banned from the library. It's also why my homepage is Bing Maps.

Nullbert
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: British Bastard

Previous