Redacted

Discussion, in general

Re: Jeff's Fast Food review - I'll do it so you won't have t

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Fri Feb 09, 2018 6:10 pm

Malfeasinator wrote:
BROWNRECLUSE wrote:Anyone have the verdict on the new Taco Bell fries yet?

It's just like Checkers / Rally's fries, but they give you that cheese sauce. It's ... it's okay.

Thank you for saving me the trouble. I'll stick to my Chalupas.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby LaoWai » Mon Apr 09, 2018 1:21 pm

McDonald's is doing three "Sichuan" dipping sauces here: 川味,宫保风味, 酸辣 (Sichuan-flavor, Kungpao-type-flavor, and sour-spicy). The Sichuan-flavor is THE Sichuan sauce (except they don't call it "Szechuan Teriyaki" here, because--seriously--what kind of goofy cultural mix-up is that?). I got to try all three.

Sour-spicy: It does what it says on the package. It's got a little bit sweeter of a taste than I actually like in this sort of sauce, and I can get better versions in any grocery store.

Rating: Late-night-snackable

Rick's fave: This was good enough in one sense, but incredibly disappointing in another. It's good because it's a little spicy and a little garlicky, and it doesn't have much sweetness messing those flavors up. It's disappointing, because it's exactly the same sauce that you can always get at McD's here. (Here it's just "Chili Garlic.") Just think, someone bid $14K for a package of that, and for the same cash, he could have hopped in a plane, had a vacation in China, eaten the stuff every day and flown home with a damn suitcase of the stuff.

Rating: Bring-back-Wasabi-Creme

Kungpao-type-flavor: This is just the hands-down winner. This is my second-favorite McD's sauce ever. It's thicker than all the other sauces, so you get a really generous slathering with every dip. The level of spiciness is way stronger than with any of the others, and it even has a little touch of 麻 (um, a sort of slight numbing sensation). It actually does taste a good bit like real Kungpao sauce--a little watered down, of course, because not everyone can actually stomach genuine Kungpao. I'm seriously, seriously hoping they make this one a permanent item.

Rating: Almost-as-great-as-Wasabi-Creme

Oh, wait, actually I don't hope they make it permanent, because if they do I'll be eating at McDonald's more and more often.

In other McD's menu news: they introduced three new two-egg-scramble sandwiches last month. All of them come on a hamburger bun and have two scrambled eggs in them. The egg and cheese one was a little bland and sort of dry. The bacon one was probably my favorite, because they don't normally do bacon and egg sandwiches here. The sausage one had probably the most flavor, but they always serve sausage here, so it didn't have the "wow" factor of the bacon and egg.

For all of them, the hamburger bun just seems like a bad choice; it makes everything taste a little sweeter than I'd like, and it has this weird rubbery consistency when you chew. (Scrambled eggs like they make them there already have a sort of chewy consistency.) Honestly, they ought to just make bacon an option for the Big Breakfast thing, because most people who buy the BB do so just to make sandwiches and get a larger coffee and a hash brown anyway. And then it's on an English muffin instead of a chewy nothing. Better yet, they should give an option to add bacon to the pan-fried chicken steak BB, so I can build a giant chicken-bacon McMuffin. Or...

Rating: Mcmuffin-that-stuff

It's always in the last place you look for it, unless you're the kind of person who keeps looking for it after you've found it.
LaoWai
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: 美国的白痴

Postby cmsellers » Mon Apr 09, 2018 6:35 pm

LaoWai wrote:Rating: Mcmuffin-that-stuff

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep