The rant thread.

Discussion, in general

Re: The rant thread.

Postby iMURDAu » Sun Sep 13, 2020 1:08 pm

Prologue/disclaimer/reminder: My wife and I work at the same grocery store

I can't stand when someone has power at a job and they don't even need the job. It's so detrimental to the business.

This person constantly nitpicks people, even those who aren't under their supervision. But when a complaint is made nothing happens because according to management "oh that person is just playing".

Exactly. They're just playing. Everyone else is working. I'm not against mirth, humor, or fun. But when it's just a simple request or statement being made to them and the response is a low grade sarcastic quip meant to put you down and make them look good Every Single Time the shit gets old.

Especially from someone who is in their thirties and lives with their parents with no plans on ever leaving the nest. My wife once said how she hates working nights because she's away from our son and this person's response was "well I want to spend time with my mom". Because that's equal right? smh

I don't care if you live with your parents when you're 50 or 80 or whatever, the economy fucking sucks just have the awareness that other people have different life situations. For example when you have power over someone who is pregnant and thisclose to being homeless through no fault of their own (another co-worker is a renter whose landlord defaulted on their mortgage) maybe you shouldn't give them unnecessary crap in the form of a sarcastic putdown.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby Pedgerow » Wed Sep 23, 2020 1:14 am

Facebook has finally forced its new layout upon me, with no recourse to the old, familiar, desktop PC-friendly version. Now I am faced with the cartoonish, oversized, bleached ugliness of the new version. Every post is unnecessarily E N O R M O U S, which is great news if you're a sponsored post that I don't give a flying monkey-fuck about, flailing about intrusively all over my monitor like I'm being smacked in the eyeballs with an IMAX screen. I even went and downloaded the browser extension which is meant to remove all of Facebook's hideous shit and advertising. It does nothing. There's another browser extension which specifically restores Facebook to its old version, and the helpful friends of that bit of software usefully point out that "unfortunately due to a bug in the Opera browser, it won't work in that one." Great.

And what's with the circles? Why is every button a circle? Everything is nothing but circles now. Android is the same. I think iOS is too, but I'm not really into spending a month's salary on a device that lets me receive text messages from all zero of the friends I actually like, so that's pure speculation on my part. Anyway, why does every evil online monopoly have such a deranged throbbing boner for making everything so circular and white? I can't even assume it's something for the overseas users, because I am one, and it's not for the Chinese because they're too busy getting thrown into death camps for having Winnie the Pooh as their Weibo avatar to prefer a website they're banned from using due to its love of circles. I am forced to conclude that there is some graphic design manual out there which says fuck aesthetics, fuck comfy tradition, fuck uniqueness and fuck identity, dude just make everything circles lmao.

Cherish your straight lines. Hug the corners of your room.Love your rectangles. Take everything you own with an outline comprised of points not equidistant from the centre, and hold every right-angle you own close to you. Tell them you love them, because they don't have long. Mark Zuckerberg is going to personally come into your house and shit in your mouth and eyes, and then he will stick in dick in them because a screaming mouth is a circle and it reminds him of all the power he has over you, over all of us, and it's too late now and we just have to gape and take his presumably round dick in all our charmless, uniform circular orifices, until the round sun burns to a charred celestial spherical coal, and we shiver our last days in the freezing blackness of space, and finally someone somewhere actually considers switching Facebook to its futile Dark Mode for the first time ever. And they will like it, and then Facebook will change its appearance again, because your place in the universe is to be fucked while your overlords laugh, and don't you ever forget it.

Pedgerow
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: PWOT refugee

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Sep 24, 2020 9:45 pm

I adopted a cat a few months ago. She's the first cat I've been personally responsible for and made the decisions about her care, so I did some research about things like what food to give her. And I'm in a position where I don't have to choose it primarily by price so I looked at a lot of the high-end brands because I want to give her the best diet I can.

As a result of that, I get a lot of ads on Facebook for high-end cat foods. And I click on a lot of them to see if they're any improvement on what I'm currently using, so I keep getting them. Which is fine. That's not the rant.

Today I got an ad for a brand I've not come across before. Vegecat.

Yes, it is what you're thinking. Vegetarian cat food.

Cats are obligate carnivores. They need meat. Ideally they should be eating a diet that is as much meat as possible, and to be honest many of the mainstream cat foods available have way too much plant-based filler and put cats at higher risk of developing various conditions.

This is egg-based, it's at least not attempting to do a vegan cat food, and maybe it has enough protein and enough supplements that a cat could at least live on it. But I guarantee it's far from an ideal diet, and I'm sure it's not going to give a cat the best chance of a long and healthy life. This is so far from the direction we need to be going with cat food.

I'm vegetarian, but when I chose a cat food brand my first criterion was the highest meat content possible. Because that's what a cat needs to keep them healthy long-term. I understand that some people are far more strongly opposed to the production of meat than I am, but you cannot have your cake and eat it. By all means eschew meat or even all animal products; you are an omnivore and capable of thriving on a wide variety of diets. But if you're so opposed to meat that you don't think it's justified even to feed animals that imperatively need it, the solution is to oppose keeping obligate carnivores in captivity. Get a herbivorous pet.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:45 pm

My phone battery was running low (it said it was at 82% capacity, and it tends not to turn on at all when it gets to 80%), so I ordered a battery last week at the Apple store and took it there today to get it fixed. Somehow, something went wrong, and they had to replace the whole phone, but they said they’d only charge me for the battery. Great. I thought my account was backed up, so I let them put everything on the new phone. TL;DR - it isn’t, and I lost all my contacts and everything else.

EDIT: I was eventually able to recover everything but my notes, which is mildly annoying.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby jbobsully11 » Sat Oct 31, 2020 12:24 am

My work is giving me a repetitive strain injury in my left arm. I've started using my right hand to carry/hang the metal sheets I apply wax and glue to.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:31 pm

The new thing is apparently COVID surcharges. This late into the pandemic, I consider this to be a money grab.

Earlier this month we ordered clothing off an official sports online store that advertises all day every Sunday. One of the items was much smaller than the size chart listed, like 2 inches smaller. So we returned it. Today we go to reorder another item to replace that one and there's a $1.99 COVID charge. Explained as relating to carrier charges due to the virus. It's like oh wow two weeks later COVID has gotten so bad they need an extra $2 for "shipping". I know it's not a lot of money but c'mon. The post office hasn't increased their shipping rates so what is that really for?

Another example is our trash service. Starting this month, due to COVID which apparently just became a thing, our bill went up $10 for every 3 months. Again, not a lot of money but uhhhhh what? This was explained as them needing to provide Personal Protection Equipment to their workers. Can confirm they were not wearing masks this week when our trash was picked up. Also, due to COVID they claim, our recycling bin will only be picked up every other week. So we pay more for less service and the excuse is the virus. We will be shopping for new trash service the next time our bill is due which hey just happens to be around tax refund time.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Sat Nov 14, 2020 1:09 am

I mainly listen to Country, Indie Pop, Taylor Swift, Christmas Music, and 2000's Christian Rock/Metalcore. I have 1 (ONE!) song by Grits (a Christian rap duo from back in the day) on my playlist. What new music does YouTube Music think I'll like? A little bit of Indie Pop, some Country, and a crapton of mainstream rap. I don't know if it's because the algorithms know that rap is a very popular genre and therefore I probably like it, or what, but it's ridiculously annoying and I hope that one day YouTube Music will be as good as Google Play Music (RIP) was.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby Malfeasinator » Wed Nov 18, 2020 2:05 pm

JamishT wrote:I mainly listen to Country, Indie Pop, Taylor Swift, Christmas Music, and 2000's Christian Rock/Metalcore. I have 1 (ONE!) song by Grits (a Christian rap duo from back in the day) on my playlist. What new music does YouTube Music think I'll like? A little bit of Indie Pop, some Country, and a crapton of mainstream rap. I don't know if it's because the algorithms know that rap is a very popular genre and therefore I probably like it, or what, but it's ridiculously annoying and I hope that one day YouTube Music will be as good as Google Play Music (RIP) was.

Music suggestion still sucks, even with something that specializes in it, like, Pandora sometimes. If you try to set up something as vague as "Classical" as a station, you'll get nothing but the same five songs played by many different people. It's all public domain, see, and everyone who plays classical music is going to know what the crowd-pleasers are, but Pandora's going to look at it as all different yet similar songs instead of just you know, "cover songs" by many artists. It's just like "Wow, these songs are really alike, and he liked the last one, I bet he'll like this one!" But you know, you can only thumb up the same song so many times before you go crazy.

Some bands are also just on their own. You can't have Queen Radio, and expect to find something else like Queen, because there is nothing else. You'll get James Taylor, freaking ELO, stuff that was popular in the 70s and/or 80s, but nothing's going to sound like Queen except Queen, and Pandora's not just going to play the one band.

But anyway, if you like country, maybe check out some Bluegrass instrumentals, or if you're feeling adventurous, Celtic stuff. I think you might dig it.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby iMURDAu » Tue Dec 01, 2020 12:05 am

I listen to a lot of rap. But I can't with Pandora. Because it's always like "so..... 2Pac then right?". Doesn't matter what rapper or group you made a station for, you're getting Pac'd. I don't hate 2Pac but if I wanted to hear him every 4th song then I'd just have made a station for it. For example you can go make a MF Doom station right now, realize rather quickly that he sounds absolutely nothing like 2Pac and still get to hear "California Love" in 30 minutes or less.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby JamishT » Thu Dec 03, 2020 1:35 pm

Starting Monday night my area got about 2 or 3 inches of snow by Tuesday morning when I was driving to work. I generally feel somewhat confident in my winter driving skills, particularly when driving alone in my personal car. That confidence is apparently unfounded. I took a corner just a little too fast and began skidding, instead of pumping the brakes and turning into the skid like I've always known is the correct response, I staying on the brakes and held the wheel in the direction I wished to go. I took out a small metal post thing that contained someone's phone lines or something, and continued on my way to work. The car didn't drive any different, so I hoped that the damage was minimal, but alas, my passenger door does not open and there was a long ghastly scrape and bend job done to the bottom of the car. I spoke to the person whose yard I had swiped though and found him to be unconcerned about the whole thing, so I called my insurance and found that in this state and this situation, I do not need a police report to file a claim. I was able to drop my car off at a body shop yesterday, and my brother lent me one of his cars.

This morning a deer tried to tackle that car. I did my best to avoid it and it only glanced off the back corner; my brother says he noticed some deer hair as the only new damage to his car in the picture I sent him.

Yeah, if things could stop hitting cars I'm driving, thaaaat would be nice.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby jbobsully11 » Wed Dec 16, 2020 11:59 pm

Yesterday, I had heard it was supposed to snow later today, but I didn't know how much, and I didn't really think about it until I left work. I drove home and realized I forgot to ask anyone if work would be cancelled tomorrow. I texted the guy at the temp agency, and he said the company would be open. I checked the weather, and we're supposed to get >1 foot of snow.

The question is, do I care enough about keeping my job to risk dying to find out they're closed anyway? (No, I don't think so.)

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Fri Dec 25, 2020 8:31 am

I guess this should be a minor annoyance, but I'm feeling especially peevish right now. I ordered my second book from Amazon which turned out to be a print-on-demand book. The first time, I has a pretty good inkling it was print-on-demand because it was very cheap, the cover art was awful, and the (DRM-protected) ebook version was self-published, and I therefore noticed that Amazon was marked as the publisher.

This time, it's a paperback edition of a hardcover which appears to have been published by an actual publisher who is credited for all three editions. The hardcover is out-of-print and going for ridiculous prices and the eBook was again DRMed, so I decided to just get the paperback. It was twenty bucks, but it's an interesting-looking book with colored plates.

So I want to know two things:

1. Why can't Amazon make it obvious when books are print-on-demand? It's not something I'm generally looking for with actual publishers.
2. Given how much Amazon cares about their profit margins, why the fuck don't they understand the importance of margins to page layout in books?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Sun Dec 27, 2020 1:28 am

My sister came by to visit today, even though she, her husband, and their son came yesterday.

Her piece-of-shit car is a piece of shit. She has known this for a while (one bumper is held on by wires and wishes, to name one thing). Instead of getting another one (she and her husband can afford it), she won't.

To name another, the trunk doesn't really close. I know this now...

For a third thing, her car didn't start when she went to leave. I went to the garage to find some dry gas or antifreeze to put in it, and she went back inside. When that didn't work, I looked around for jumper cables. Apparently she doesn't keep them in the trunk. Instead of mentioning this, she... was inside.

To make a long story short, her trunk is now firmly secured with duct tape, and she called someone else to help get it started. It's freezing out, so I don't know that a jump start will be a good idea.

EDIT: It's actually most likely something else, so she called for a tow truck.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:01 pm

I live a very short distance from an Amazon fulfillment center and driver depot, idk if this is affecting my issue or just my perception of it.

Basically I'm sick of being promised delivery dates and times only to have them constantly adjusted. Just ffs say you're going to have it here today or tomorrow. Don't tell me I'll have it by X o'clock just to let me know half an hour before that it'll be later (which always means tomorrow). Nothing we're buying is life or death. Sure it's cool to get things in one or two days but I'd rather get a flexible window than a rigid one that... keeps changing because it's actually flexible. I'd like to pay them that way. Yes I hit "purchase" but you see my funds aren't actually going to get transferred to you until tomorrow, sorry for getting your hopes up.

Also one of my cousins got us an Echo Dot for Christmas. It outputs nice sound but the fact that it has to stay plugged in at all times is a major, like absolutely major fail. I have a $5 bluetooth speaker I can take around the house with me. Oh right, we're supposed to buy one for every room. Not happening. I'm not even connecting this to the wifi. What's the point? So I can ask it the weather? Tell it to play music? Have one of the streamers I watch say "ALEXA SEND MOM 3 BIG DILDOS!!!!"? I carry a phone in my pocket that does the same thing.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Fri Jan 08, 2021 4:43 pm

Wow what a day already and it's barely 10 a.m.

I need dental work but the need became more urgent yesterday so I made an appointment for today. Buuuut. I don't have dental insurance now. We upgraded, lmao at that term based on what happened, our plan in December to take effect at the start of this year. But insurance companies move at a glacial speed and don't exist to service people with medical needs, they're a billing apparatus. So our insurance company didn't have a policy number to give me. Our dentist kinda needs that so they can bill the insurance. So my wife contacted the state health exchange. She explained the situation and the person responded we just need to give the insurance company time to process the new information. As in, people need to do their jobs. Okay. So today I call the insurance and am told that we canceled our insurance through the exchange and nothing can be done until we contact the exchange. The exchange won't talk to me because apparently literally every year you have to list authorized users, they don't carry over and our marriage means all of shit in the eyes of the state. So all the "sanctity of marriage" folks can take another broadsword up the ass. If this doesn't get resolved then we have no dental coverage for the entire year.

While dealing with all of this I get a call from a debt collector. I had a procedure done in 2019 and the anesthesia provider sent the bill to the wrong address. I thought originally this was due to the address change fiasco we dealt with at the end of that year. No, no, no this was the address they apparently were told to bill via the insurance company (diff company than dental insurance). They were sending bills to a store I haven't worked at since 2016. Said they got the address right from the insurance company. Also fishy is the fact that there are two separate charges for the same amount. I only had one procedure done so why two bills? Gee I wonder why people avoid the doctors and hospitals despite needing preventative care. Maybe because we'll get billed a year and a half later out of nowhere.

Bonus rant about insurance.

There's going to be a ton of fucked over and pissed off people. At least in Maryland. The state insurance rates skyrocketed so the plan we used to have went up a few hundred percent in price. From about $50 to $275 a month. The issue is that a lot of people are probably ok with the coverage they had in 2020 and if they call or go to log on the site they are informed 'IF YOU WANT TO KEEP YOUR CURRENT PLAN THEN DO NOTHING'. Hooo well if you keep your current plan you probably won't be able to afford it. It doesn't tell you that. One of our coworkers got fucked this way. Since every employer has already closed their open enrollment period for 2021 you can't get coverage there either. So our coworker who isn't rich to begin with is now making a car payment a month to have health insurance that requires him to come out of pocket constantly. I'm pretty sure Obama didn't want it to be this way when he got the ACA ball rolling. We were able to downgrade our plan. Which thankfully means we have health insurance but hopefully we never need to see a doctor for anything this year because the coverage is extremely limited. I just can't get past the fact that these changes took effect in December which is usually after most employers have ended open enrollment. And also that it won't be noticeable until people get their January bill. I await the coming news articles.

iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

PreviousNext