11%
I make plans for the day.
22%
What are plans?
67%

Total votes : 18

How do you make plans? (Tally)

Postby DoglovingJim » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:01 am

Quick tally, as it resulted in a fair few arguments.

Personally I have a weekly routine, which I feel is the most practical as then I have a general overview for the week and for example don't need to shop daily. If you're studying you have a weekly schedule, if you're working you have a weekly roster, planning for the whole week is the most logical. Routine is life anywhere, even in prison.

And also because in my opinion things done well need to be prepared for, I don't like the idea of being spontaneous.

Anyway, feel free to vote and give your response and also explain why you chose what you chose.

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: How do you make plans? (Tally)

Postby JamishT » Fri Sep 21, 2018 7:29 am

My work schedule changes from week to week. This week, I've had Wednesday and Thursday off, next week I have Monday and Thursday off (I think). So I can kind of plan for the whole week, but I don't like making plans for at least one of my days off, so that day is wide open for any possible whim I may have.

JamishT was a heck of a guy,
With a devilish twinkle in his eye.
With his hand-picked flowers,
And his feel-good powers,
He made all the girls blush and sigh.
JamishT
TCS ModerBlobber
TCS ModerBlobber

Show rep
Title: The Wannabe Adult

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Sep 21, 2018 9:44 am

I don't really make plans unless I have something specific and unusual (for me) to do but I have habits. The difference being, I don't sit down and decide each day or week, I just do something that way because that's how I do it.

Sunday-Friday (pretty full days where I'm out all day starting at a specific time) I have a more or less concrete routine: I do the same things in the same order and even eat the same things for two meals out of three (breakfast and lunch). Saturday is a little more fluid but I still tend to do the same things every week. I don't get upset at a change of routine, although I don't usually like having to fit extra things in unless I'm able to skip something in its place.

When I have something out of the ordinary to fit in I tend to plan it obsessively.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby IamNotCreepy » Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:53 pm

For just day-to-day things, I am happy falling into a routine. I wake up at the same time every (work) day, and have it worked down to the minute in order to wake up as late as possible and still get to work on time.

When it comes to plans with friends or vacation, I do not plan at all. My wife likes to make detailed itineraries for vacation, and I am a homebody, so I just wait for someone to make plans with me first.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind

Postby ghijkmnop » Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:39 pm

Redacted

Last edited by ghijkmnop on Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Delete my account
ghijkmnop
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Prisoner of TCS

Postby jbobsully11 » Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:58 pm

I'm somewhere between the last two options. I like to make daily plans, but more often than not, something comes along and screws everything up at a certain point. So they're not too strict and I never expect to follow them too closely, but they remind me of things I need to get done in the morning.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby Australia » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:45 pm

Oh, I've run out of clothes, better do some laundry.

Oh, I've run out of food, better do some shopping.

Oh, run out of petrol, better steal another car.

Oh, new season of Bojack on Netflix, better stop writing in the middle of my

YamI JamesT Eyebrows Edgar Logan Eric Michael Tess Sunny Notch Kate Jamish Lao Carp Moo FaceCitizen Aquila Nisi Qinglong Chaise Nullbert NotCIAagent JackRoad Delta MURDA Bert Czar Ambi JulyJack Adric Marcuse SilverMaple Nudge 52xMax Damiana Doma Pumpkin Toy Fry Andro Carrie Snarky Royal RLG Pikajew Windy skooma Kleiner Java Sellers Piter Gisarmbards Grimstone Recluse Esteban Syrup Krashlia Twistappel MacReady Funkotron mcfooty Pseudoman Creepy Kivutar nerd Ladki Jim Youghurt satan GL Angler
Scari
Australia
Resident Dickhead
Resident Dickhead

Show rep
Title: Kentucky Fried Colonel

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Sep 22, 2018 2:43 am

I have no plans. Mostly because I'm too busy watching Buffy on Netflix.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Marcuse » Sat Sep 22, 2018 3:41 pm

I make plans when they're needed, which is usually when i have a lot of things to do and need to get them done either in some kind of order to be able to get it all done or because I need to keep what I have to do in my head. On balance I find that planning is only useful if it makes it easier or more efficient to do what you're doing. Otherwise you're just wasting time that might have been more productively used in doing the thing, rather than planning to do the thing. I don't need more reasons to procrastinate.

Marcuse
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:59 pm

I love how the earliest votes were mostly for option two, but now "what are plans?" has taken over. I guess the other procrastinators finally got around to voting.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby MeatPuppet » Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:55 am

I make weekly plans when I'm feeling useless, usually after watching a bunch of those motivational vids on how to manage time or whatever. I then follow it for maybe 3 hours max before doing whatever I feel like again.

CarrieVS wrote:I don't really make plans unless I have something specific and unusual (for me) to do but I have habits. The difference being, I don't sit down and decide each day or week, I just do something that way because that's how I do it.

I operate most effectively like this, which is why when I'm trying to work on improving some aspect, I try to aim for practicing it daily or I'm doomed basically.

"It's time for the meat puppet!" -- Psycho, Borderlands 2
MeatPuppet
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Show rep
Title: Knight of Arendelle

Postby Malfeasinator » Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:28 pm

I can tell you what plans are, for those who find themselves confused.

They're fairy tales you tell yourself about the future.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Postby iMURDAu » Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:50 pm

I like plans. I abhor chaos. I like having a set work schedule now because for years I'd never know how to plan anything for the following week. I've watched many friends and family members go through difficult times because they failed to plan for the simplest things.

For years the way my family has put a gathering together is to group text everyone a couple days before. It drives me nuts. Of course the wife and I don't plan out everything but it's nice to have a strategy for the future instead of just closing your eyes and riding the current. Maybe it's the gamer in me.

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby NathanLoiselle » Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:30 pm

I typically make plans by writing them down and then burning them in a bin. A metal bin. Don't want to put noxious chemicals the burning plastics put in the air getting out there ... you know, into the air.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep