S-Town Podcast - There Will Be Spoilers

General interest items found around the web.

S-Town Podcast - There Will Be Spoilers

Postby Kate » Tue Apr 04, 2017 5:30 pm

I don't normally listen to podcasts. I want to, but I'm lazy. But my husband recently got me hooked on S-Town and I binged it in one night. It's not too hard to do, there are only seven episodes, so if you drive a lot or feed an overtired baby a lot, you might be able to do it too!

You can go listen to it online here.

It's made by the producers of This American Life and Serial, the interviews and the narrative are all done by Brian Reed.

But it raises some interesting questions about privacy, as this Vox article points out (major spoilers).

Has anyone else listened to this? I really want to talk about it with someone. I thought it was really well-done! I looked for threads on this and didn't find any so if I missed one, please tell me so I can delete this or merge it, whichever is more appropriate.

JT's Art Thread - JamesT's awesome stuff.
Kate
Gul DuKate
Gul DuKate

Show rep
Title: Sheepwoman

Re: S-Town Podcast - There Will Be Spoilers

Postby 52xMax » Tue Apr 04, 2017 8:11 pm

I've been meaning to give it a try, just on the people involved even though I don't even know what it is about. But I have a long queue of podcasts and audiobooks to go through too. I guess if it's only seven episodes I could squeeze it in and discuss it here. I was just talking about how unaware the general public is about privacy, and how ironic it was that some movie theaters are playing the 1984 adaptation of Orwell's novel today in protest over Trump, yet there was not a peep over all the surveillance and crackdowns on whistleblowers during past regimes, because consistency be damned.

I'll definitely check out the first episodes and come back to share my impressions, though.

"When in doubt... well, don't ask me!"
52xMax
Knight Writer
Knight Writer

Show rep
Title: Salmon the Wise

Postby FaceTheCitizen » Tue Apr 04, 2017 9:22 pm

FaceTheCitizen
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: Thot Patrol

Postby Irishjava » Thu Apr 13, 2017 7:28 pm

Great, great podcast. Listened to an episode a day last week.
Spoiler: show
I knew it was going to be something special as soon a John started talking about his hedge maze and rattled off the coordinates to the meter. Goddamn brilliant man in unbelievably tragic, loveless circumstances and a great subject for an unexpected character study. Seriously unlike anything else I've listened to.

"Prepare to be emancipated, from your own inferior genes!"
-Abradolf Lincler
Irishjava
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep