Anyone uses Swagbucks? (making money off internet things)

General interest items found around the web.

Anyone uses Swagbucks? (making money off internet things)

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:40 pm

Well, I guess this kind of counts for "from the web".

Anyway, my more "tech-savy" friend hooked me up to something called swag-bucks which gives you points for things such as playing games, watching videos, doing surveys, and even randomly from just surfing the web. These points can be converted into money in the form of amazon gift-cards or even pay-pal, and he used it to buy himself boxing equipment. And I got enough to get $5 just before.

Since the majority of us are hermits that simply surf around the online with nothing to do I was wondering if any of you have experience with this? Have you ever tried this or any other internet get rich scheme and what's your view on these sorts of things?

(If you want to try it out)

Edgar Cabrera wrote:HOLY SHIT GUYS, IT'S DOGLOVINGJIM!!! HE'S HERE!!!

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Location: No block of land is going to tie Jim and his dogs down.
Show rep
Title: Manly Man

Re: Anyone uses Swagbucks? (making money off internet things

Postby DoglovingJim » Sat Dec 10, 2016 2:43 pm

Of course, don't quit your job or anything because anything given is basically peanuts.

skoobadive wrote:It's the legendary DoglovingJim! Ohboy, this must be the greatest day of my life!

Cracked.com wrote:Initially, his interest in animals was "primarily a sexual attraction," but as he grew older, he also "developed the emotional attraction." We guess we could call what Jim does ... dog-lovin'
DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sat Dec 10, 2016 8:41 pm

I could live off of peanuts you know.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Dec 10, 2016 11:02 pm

I'll stick to my Nigerian penis enhancement lottery scams, thank you.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby RedBearded » Mon Dec 12, 2016 6:43 am

Looks like $5 amazon cards are the way to go.http://simplefamilyfinance.com/is-swagbucks-worth-the-time-my-official-swagbucks-review/

I linked to a junk email account of mine, enjoy the extra swagbucks.

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Dec 12, 2016 7:32 am

This thing sounds too good to be true for someone like me, whose average day consists of 24/7 internet surfing and video-watching. Is it safe and reputable? Am I putting my precious laptop at risk if I sign up for it?

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby DoglovingJim » Mon Dec 12, 2016 9:37 am

KleinerKiller wrote:This thing sounds too good to be true for someone like me, whose average day consists of 24/7 internet surfing and video-watching. Is it safe and reputable? Am I putting my precious laptop at risk if I sign up for it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swagbucks
Well it has its own Wikipedia page, so I guess it's "legit". So far I haven't had any problems and you don't have to download anything/connect it to your bank accounts if you don't want to, since you can just get those amazon gift cards instead. So I don't think your laptop would be at risk to my current knowledge.

I feel the catch is that, if you're doing all the surveys out of boredom technically whatever companies are making the surveys are probably paying the site a lot for it, of course you're getting rewarded as well (although at a very slow pace). But still, you could get a couple of dollars a month just from searching on their browser without touching the surveys, so this is perfect for us hermits that are scared of going outside and want some pocket change. My friend leaves the videos going on in the background when he is playing on the computer but since my internet isn't unlimited I'm stuck to surveys (which seems to make the most).

In summary, if you're bored and always on the internet it should somewhat pay off gradually throughout the year. But don't quit your job, compared to a honest days work you're getting basically peanuts.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

EDIT:

My certainly a lot older than he acts friend gathered enough money to purchase gears of war 4 with the money he got from this site (took him like a week). Me, I have to resist the urge to buy things on impulse... It should take me 3-6 months at longest but I'm trying to save up enough money for this baby with amazon giftcards.

Seiko-SKX-007.jpeg
Seiko-SKX-007.jpeg (305.86 KiB) Viewed 7260 times

Naturally with a real job it'd take me less than a week, but I'd rather save it up from this site throughout the year because it'd be funny to retrieve an instrument which can tell the time with money that came from wasting my time.

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Sat Dec 24, 2016 11:03 pm

Okay, so I signed up under you about a week ago, Jim.

I've already gathered 3200 points. At this rate, I'll be able to buy a Kindle Fire by this time next week.

Anybody who's considering signing up, I'm just gonna advise y'all to do what Jim's buddy does if you can:

DoglovingJim wrote:My friend leaves the videos going on in the background when he is playing on the computer

My strategy is to run one of the 4 SB playlists while I'm doing housework or bathing, since those tend to run about 30 minutes. Then I can get the shorter time ones when I'm actively online/doing stuff on my computer, and if I have to go out, there are playlists that will run through a few links and then load a new playlist automatically (also good to turn on right before bedtime, because they'll easily run for 4-5 hours). Right now they have one that's giving 3 SB each time another playlist loads, and the playlists are between 15-20 links (not always videos).

Sure, it's one of those things that artificially makes content go viral, but 32 bucks in a week for just letting that stuff run in the background? I'm totally there. And when I say "in the background" I mean I have the toolbar thing on Chrome and that's all I use Chrome for, since all the websites I visit normally are visited with Firefox.

I haven't done any shopping online yet, so I can't say how good the rewards are for that part, but come on, son. I'ma be able to get a Kindle Fire for doing pretty much nothing, so it's good. And Jim's going to get 10% of a Kindle Fire for me doing pretty much nothing. At least, he better be getting that referral bonus, because otherwise something screwed up in my signup process and I'm going to have to write an angry email.

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: Crazy Cat Lady

Postby gregfrankenstein » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:21 am

BROWNRECLUSE wrote:I'll stick to my Nigerian penis enhancement lottery scams, thank you.

Every week I buy my ticket hoping they'll enhance my Nigerian penis.

gregfrankenstein
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Heightener of Fives

Postby DoglovingJim » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:12 am

DashaBlade wrote:Okay, so I signed up under you about a week ago, Jim.

I've already gathered 3200 points. At this rate, I'll be able to buy a Kindle Fire by this time next week.

Anybody who's considering signing up, I'm just gonna advise y'all to do what Jim's buddy does if you can:

DoglovingJim wrote:My friend leaves the videos going on in the background when he is playing on the computer

My strategy is to run one of the 4 SB playlists while I'm doing housework or bathing, since those tend to run about 30 minutes. Then I can get the shorter time ones when I'm actively online/doing stuff on my computer, and if I have to go out, there are playlists that will run through a few links and then load a new playlist automatically (also good to turn on right before bedtime, because they'll easily run for 4-5 hours). Right now they have one that's giving 3 SB each time another playlist loads, and the playlists are between 15-20 links (not always videos).

Sure, it's one of those things that artificially makes content go viral, but 32 bucks in a week for just letting that stuff run in the background? I'm totally there. And when I say "in the background" I mean I have the toolbar thing on Chrome and that's all I use Chrome for, since all the websites I visit normally are visited with Firefox.

I haven't done any shopping online yet, so I can't say how good the rewards are for that part, but come on, son. I'ma be able to get a Kindle Fire for doing pretty much nothing, so it's good. And Jim's going to get 10% of a Kindle Fire for me doing pretty much nothing. At least, he better be getting that referral bonus, because otherwise something screwed up in my signup process and I'm going to have to write an angry email.

I certainly did notice, thank you very much. I gathered around $50 by now so I'm nearly a quarter to my goal. I tried putting on the videos with the toolbar button but for some reason it says that the videos are only for viewing within the US (which is odd since it always used to allow me to watch).

Regardless I can't wait to hear how your kindle fire goes, how much do one of those things cost?

DoglovingJim
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby DashaBlade » Sun Dec 25, 2016 5:52 am

DoglovingJim wrote:Regardless I can't wait to hear how your kindle fire goes, how much do one of those things cost?

The basic one with ads and an 8 GB hard drive goes for $50, and the 16 GB one goes for $70. I'm probably going to get the 8 GB one, since for that other $20, I can easily find an SD card that's got far more than 8 gigs of storage.

Also..

DoglovingJim wrote:I tried putting on the videos with the toolbar button but for some reason it says that the videos are only for viewing within the US (which is odd since it always used to allow me to watch).

Oddly enough, I was playing around with a VPN earlier today (I was checking out the feature on my antivirus software) and I was pretending to be in England, and the videos wouldn't play for me, but as soon as I disconnected from it, everything was fine again. So hey, maybe if you were able to pretend to be in the US, the videos would play.

(As a side note, when I was pretending to be in England, I Googled something and it took me to google.co.uk automatically instead of the usual google.com, so apparently I really looked like I was chilling out in London.)

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby skooma » Sun Dec 25, 2016 10:31 am

So they have stuff that can just run in the background and that works? I always use Firefox, but if Chrome has an easy workaround, it sounds like a deal. Can they tell if you take the volume to nothing or if you have another computer you're on? I tried surveys once, as someone (I invented) in a better demographic, but it was too mind numbing; peanuts sound awesome to me, if I can just run something.

It also rejected my dummy accounts (says This Email Address is not allowed.), maybe it has something against gmx.

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Postby DashaBlade » Sun Dec 25, 2016 3:48 pm

I keep the volume in Chrome set at 0, except if I'm doing a survey that requires me to watch a video, so it's safe to say no fucks are given about whether you can hear the stuff that loads or not. And they also have mobile apps that you can get a small amount of points a day on - I listen to stuff on their music app at the same time I'm running through videos, and there's no problem either.

And since we have two computers in the house, usually being used at the same time, I know you could theoretically run their stuff on one computer and do other things on another computer, since my husband is on his computer at this very moment. The only downside is that if there are 2 computers in the same household both with an account, there might not be as much money from each account, since the surveys, at least, will only show up once per IP address. Also, if you can't sign up under any of the email addys you've tried, be advised that Gmail is 100% cool by them, since that's what I used, and it takes what, two minutes to make a Gmail account.

I used my actual age and location and all that to sign up (44/Texas) and I can usually finish a few surveys a day. It might not hurt that I have a 16 year old in the house, and sometimes I have to "allow her to do the survey" even though the surveys are always about TV or video games and I spend more time doing that stuff than she does. I've noticed a lot of surveys that disqualify after asking whether I have little kids though, so I might adopt an imaginary baby in the near future. I mean hey, one of my cats is 18 months old, and that's just like having a human that's 18 months old right? :P

DashaBlade
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep

Postby NathanLoiselle » Sun Dec 25, 2016 7:55 pm

I prefer to do my identity theft the old fashion way. With annoying bastards at the door.

NathanLoiselle
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby skooma » Mon Dec 26, 2016 3:29 am

I always wanted grandchildren I can spoil with many pets XD Thanks, now to find an email they like (gmail is what I have now, only seems sensible to keep it separate anyway). Imma save for Fallout 3 DLC!

Skooma seems the type of person to chase me down and force me at gun point to receive their encomium with good graces. ~Jack Road

* I got caught in the crossfire of one of skooma's fucking frisbees ~Sister Morphine
skooma
TCS Necromancer
TCS Necromancer

Show rep
Title: The Lightning

Next