Daily Science Fiction

General interest items found around the web.

Daily Science Fiction

Postby CarrieVS » Fri Jun 19, 2015 1:21 pm

Daily Science Fiction is a site that publishes a sci-fi or fantasy short story every weekday. You can read them on the site or you can sign up to the mailing list and get them delivered fresh to your inbox every morning.

They buy flash fiction at 8 US cents a word plus the option to pay another 5 cents a word if they republish it in an anthology, 1500 words absolute maximum. I've submitted one story a while back - sadly rejected - and I'm getting another ready at the moment.

I find their stories are a bit hit and miss. Sometimes they're unoriginal or pointless or I just don't really 'get' it, or they might be a good story poorly written. Other times they're just fantastic.

You can, if you choose, rate them from 1-7 'rocket dragons', which is just the icon they use instead of stars. I have pretty high stamdards for a top rating: I've been reading for the best part of two years and handed out maybe four or five 7's. Today's story was a 7. It hit me so hard in the feels I made this topic just to share it with you.

On Deliverance

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Re: Daily Science Fiction

Postby cmsellers » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:20 pm

@Carrie:
I too have had a story rejected by Daily Science Fiction. We should start a support group.

After my rejection, I realized that A. it was a lot longer than most of what they publish (though still within their word limit), and B. a humorous story in the vein of Fredric Brown (i.e. the science was non-scientific). I really should try re-submitting it to a publication that I know likes that sort of thing, sometime.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby CarrieVS » Thu Jun 28, 2018 12:41 pm

Today's story is the saddest thing. I gave it a 7. Just had to share it.

A Combustible Lemon wrote:Death is an archaic concept for simpleminded commonfolk, not Victorian scientist whales.
CarrieVS
TCS Redshirt
TCS Redshirt

Location: By my wild self in the wet wild woods waving my wild tail
Show rep
Title: Drama Llama

Postby IamNotCreepy » Thu Jun 28, 2018 1:55 pm

I just got really excited about submitting my stories to them, but apparently you can't if you've published them online anywhere. So, the stories I've done here can't be submitted. Lame.

IamNotCreepy
TCS Admin
TCS Admin

Show rep
Title: Chasing after the Wind