Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

General interest items found around the web.

Re: Don't Hug Me I'm Scared

Postby KleinerKiller » Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:50 pm

Wow.

So... I guess it's over now? That seems like a pretty definitive finale given the date significance and answers, even if every answer opens up a shitload of new questions.

Spoiler: show
So none of it was real, which we knew, and Yellow Guy's father is behind it all, which a lot of people already guessed, but there's still a lot to untangle. I'm assuming the "real" world sequence was Yellow Guy's father punishing Red Guy for his apathy and "boring" mindset (which means Red Guy never actually escaped), in the same vein as Duck Guy's brutal murder was punishment for not paying attention and trying to escape. Or approaching him from a different angle to make him appreciate the lessons, perhaps; obviously, it worked. But why was he teaching / tormenting his son and the friends thereof in the first place? Did they need to be taught, or is he just an evil asshole with something to gain?

Further questions and loose ends:

- If this world is in an unending cycle, as the June 19th / June 20th thing indicates, why does unplugging the simulation reset everyone in it? Is it not actually a simulation? Is his father controlling reality, or are there infinite layers?
- What was the big deal with Red Guy calling the phone inside the food / health lesson, and how does that line up with the Red Guy World sequence and the machine revelation? How did we get from A to B there?
- If Red Guy's central character flaw -- apathy and boredom -- was finally overcome by him taking initiative with everything here, why is he still in the cycle? Did that just not matter? Is that not the point?
- Is there any meaning to the weird tidbits that seemed to have greater purpose, like the man setting Malcolm on fire in the credits of 3 or the motion-capture reenactments of the lessons in 4?
- If the dates are the numbers of cycles, what happened during the first 18? Or is the month more significant, and it actually goes day by day for months and years, in which case it would be impossible to guess how many times they've repeated themselves?
- What the hell is the significance behind it all?

Whatever the case, if that is indeed the end of Don't Hug Me I'm Scared... it was a hell of a ride. A ride piloted by some real creative geniuses and fueled by the fever dreams of David Lynch.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby Bromo » Mon Jun 20, 2016 12:51 am

A Combustible Lemon wrote:The new one's out, and seems to finally end the Red guy's story arc. It's also filled with references to the other episodes.
Spoiler: show
The dad seems to be the main villain.
Also someone pointed out that in the end, the rebooted characters all have their favourite colours from episode 1

If this the end of Red Guy's arc, would that mean this isn't the end of the entire series?

"I spent a good 20 minutes searching for my glasses, when I realized I was seeing a bit too well.

Then I reached for my face and there were they." --Toy, 2016

The Pokémon master formerly known as Kevin Durant.
Bromo
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Token Homo

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Jun 20, 2016 1:14 am

Bromo wrote:If this the end of Red Guy's arc, would that mean this isn't the end of the entire series?

As much as I wish we could have more and as many questions as I still have, I'm pretty sure the Kickstarter that gave the series continued life beyond the first two videos promised this many episodes, and that the creators confirmed somewhere that the sixth would be the finale. Plus, Red Guy has more or less been the main protagonist since his actions in Ep 4, so I think it's fine that his arc is the one that gets the most closure of the three.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Sat Jul 09, 2016 5:44 pm

Huh?

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:38 am

MatPat (the perhaps over-targeted internet punching bag behind Game Theory / Film Theory) has finally seen fit to start a series of DHMIS videos offering his takes on the meanings. One has been released and more are to come. It's like most of his videos; very convincing while watching and undeniably well-researched (he points out some shit I hadn't even registered despite endless rewatches of the series), but tending to miss or ignore other evidence and possible contradictions in favor of supporting his conclusion, resulting in a lot of fridge logic.

There it is, in case anyone's curious. It's a compelling theory with a lot going for it, but a few things about it aren't sitting right enough to convince me. We'll see if his future videos plug the holes or widen them.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed Jul 13, 2016 2:41 am

I saw this earlier.

With the creators publicly saying that they've extensively read these theories and many of them are correct, I guess this will end up being one of those "it is what you want it to be" scenarios, like the ending to Inception.

I've re-watched these all multiple times this week and I still keep finding stuff I missed before.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Jul 28, 2016 11:48 pm

The next video's finally out, and... holy shit, it not only fixes the problems I had with the first one, but it comes together to form the most plausible and convincing theory about what's going on in the series that I've ever seen. Why Roy is the antagonist and Red Guy is the main character, why Yellow Guy suffers constantly and Duck Guy was killed off, the weird parts of the ending -- they all make perfect sense with this one.

I still like the "they're all prisoners, it's something to do with their character flaws, etc" scenario most everyone took it as, but this is a kick-ass theory if nothing else.

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:47 pm

HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT HOLY SHIT

It's not over. There's more coming soon, and it looks... good. I'm cautious about undoing the poignance of the finale, but I suppose the very end did leave the door open for another cycle, and I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to that cycle jettisoning most of the plot and just delivering the fever dream horror and dark humor we all know and love.

Time to get creative again...

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Previous