A trivia game where you can sometimes win money

General interest items found around the web.

A trivia game where you can sometimes win money

Postby KleinerKiller » Mon Nov 26, 2018 8:51 am

So I've just been informed about HQ Trivia, an app for iOS and Android where you can participate in live, 15-question trivia games. Get one question wrong and you're out of the game (though you can purchase single-use "extra lives", because microtransactions), but get all 15 right and a hefty sum of cash is divvied up between the winners, which you can cash into your PayPal at any time. Payouts per game are anywhere in the range of $1,000 - $50,000, though since there are normally thousands of winners, you'll likely only receive around $0.50-$1.00 per win unless you're very lucky.

This is a legit app that's gotten a bit of mainstream media attention, though it's not without its share of complaints, glitches, and minor controversies (thankfully, since it doesn't have you link your email or PayPal to the profile until each time you want to cash out, I haven't heard anything about risks of data being stolen). And the host is just... the worst. And as far as I can tell, you can't disable the Twitch-esque chat stream. But I've been in two games and gotten irritatingly close to winning once, and the potential benefits are pretty good if you luck out.

Of course, telling people about it just brings more competitors to potentially have to split the money with, so why am I doing it? Because if you enter my referral code, KKTerthelt, during your sign-up, I get free extra lives! So would you kindly sign up? It's a free app and making a profile takes literal seconds. C'mon. You're a nerd on the internet, you know trivia. Do it.

Doooo it.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Re: A trivia game where you can sometimes win money

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:20 am

This looks cool. I just registered with your referral code, so you should be getting an extra life soon.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Chronically Underemployed

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:09 am

Hey, thanks ya muchly, Jbob! That'll come in handy.

Side note: I picked an awkward time to note that the usual host is just the worst, as immediately after I made my first post he went on vacation, and the hosts they've been cycling through since have been sort of charming. In a couple weeks' time, we'll be back to just the worst.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby jbobsully11 » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:25 am

Are they always about sports? Because I know almost nothing about sports. On the quiz that started ~20 minutes ago, I guessed on two of the first three questions, and then got the fourth one wrong, which is still about three questions farther than I was expecting to get.

Crimson847 wrote:In other words, transgender-friendly privacy laws don't molest people, people molest people.

(Presumably, the only way to stop a bad guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law is a good guy with a transgender-friendly privacy law, and thus transgender-friendly privacy law rights need to be enshrined in the Constitution as well)
jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby KleinerKiller » Thu Nov 29, 2018 2:36 am

Nope, they're usually either completely randomized or they follow a specific theme (the second game tomorrow will be a Seinfeld contest, for example, and I joined up too late for a recent Marvel one to honor Stan Lee). And hey, you got exactly one question further than I did, also knowing nothing about sports!

KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu Nov 29, 2018 5:08 pm

I wasn't going to comment, except that Kleiner just confirmed: most of the random shit I know is absolutely useless for trivia games. I think the big exceptions would be geography, US and world history, and animals. (But even then I took a National Geographic geography quiz with the same sort of questions they used on their geography bee and underperformed the average geography bee contestant.) I know a fair bit about plants, linguistics, and Greek mythology too, which I've seen come up as trivia questions occasionally. I don't think anything else I know a lot about is remotely useful to trivia games, and I'm probably way worse than average on the pop culture stuff that is the bread and butter of trivia games.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:20 am

I just won $0.35 in tonight’s food-themed HQ Words. I lost fairly early on in trivia, though.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby sunglasses » Tue Feb 05, 2019 6:21 pm

I have never won.

Never.

But my phone acts up half the time and I miss the questions.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby jbobsully11 » Mon Mar 04, 2019 3:18 am

I got nine questions right in trivia tonight, which was apparently the most I’ve ever gotten.

jbobsully11
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep