Satire is hard, as Dorkly finds out.

General interest items found around the web.

Satire is hard, as Dorkly finds out.

Postby DanteHoratio » Mon Jun 05, 2017 10:35 pm

Dorkly released a thing about how they were saying sorry for a wonder woman review they did. The only thing? The review never truly happened and that the whole thing was satire.

http://www.dorkly.com/post/83653/we-wou ... man-review

But there seems to be a surprising number of people who believe they did a review, spite the fact that Dorkly does not do reviews, and are upset, unaware of the satire.

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Re: Satire is hard, as Dorkly finds out.

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:05 am

I don't get what was wrong with Dorkly's review. I know they took it down, but the snippets posted mostly look pretty reasonable to me.

The one exception is his question about her breast size. Amazon women cut off one breast in order to fire a bow, and so it's clear that they figured if they cast a member of the itty-bitty titty club they could get away with not making her do this. Who wants to look at a woman with only one breast, after all?

I mean, look at how gross this woman is. Eeewww!

Seriously, what kind of selfish bint places a small increase in her survival over treating her future husband right?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Grimstone » Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:26 am

Why are these so-called amazons so scrawny looking? You'd think women warriors would have a bit of muscle on them.

phpBB [video]

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby DanteHoratio » Tue Jun 06, 2017 5:06 am

cmsellers wrote:I don't get what was wrong with Dorkly's review. I know they took it down, but the snippets posted mostly look pretty reasonable to me.

The one exception is his question about her breast size. Amazon women cut off one breast in order to fire a bow, and so it's clear that they figured if they cast a member of the itty-bitty titty club they could get away with not making her do this. Who wants to look at a woman with only one breast, after all?

I mean, look at how gross this woman is. Eeewww!
Spoiler: show

Seriously, what kind of selfish bint places a small increase in her survival over treating her future husband right?

Well, none of the Amazons did that with their breast in DC, so they would not need to have any of the amazons in the movie cut their breast off.

Edit: Not that I have a problem with a smaller breasted woman is playing Wonder Woman, it's pretty much impossible to find a actress who would look 100% like Wonder Woman in comics. Wonder Woman is 6'3"(In some comics, she is even taller then Superman), with breast bigger then a mere DD cup. As long as she is somewhat tall, has black hair, white, beautiful, and fit, and is a good actress, I'm fine. You know, somebody kind of like this:

Spoiler: show

"Suppose you were an idiot, and suppose you were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself." -Mark Twain

"I couldn't live a week without a private library - indeed, I'd part with all my furniture and squat and sleep on the floor before I'd let go of the 1500 or so books I possess." -HP Lovecraft
DanteHoratio
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep
Title: Let's get dangerous

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:50 pm

I personally found the medium piece on WW and the Alamo theatre hilarious. Not dorkly, true, but it was still fucking funny.

They did have to go back after the fact and add a disclaimer that it was satire. Which to me, makes it even funnier.

https://medium.com/@BethyBSQU/alamo-dra ... f6f4090a14
We at the Alamo Drafthouse would like to officially apologize for our role in the end of mankind as we knew it, and the ascendant Gynocracy that followed. We didn’t know our women-only screening of Wonder Woman would result in the overthrow of all world governments and the total subjugation of men, but in hindsight we probably should have seen it coming.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: The Speaker of Horrors.

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 6:57 pm

That breast cutting thing is and has always been massively stupid. It turns out women can do archery without mutilating themselves here in reality world. Not that Wonder Woman ever uses a bow, as far as I know (I'm not a fan of the character, so feel free to correct me on that one).

Also, looking muscular is not requisite for being a fighter. Fighting requires more dynamic limber strength and dextrous strength than straight stuff-moving ability. To put it in the simplest terms, weights aren't known for fighting back. You get quite a lot of skinny female fighters, along with some that look fairly normal in muscle definition and fitness.
Examples:
Rose Namajunas

Mia Kang

Some female fighters do have comic book muscles, but most don't in my experience.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:19 pm

thanks for those pics, Angler. It's refreshing to see.

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

Zevran wrote:Magic can kill. Knives can kill. Even small children launched at great speeds can kill.
sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:13 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:That breast cutting thing is and has always been massively stupid. It turns out women can do archery without mutilating themselves here in reality world.

But men do have to cut off their balls to ride horses, right?

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby sunglasses » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:47 pm

...yes...

TCS Etiquette Guide

Rules and FAQs

sunglasses
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:49 pm

They don't have to, but they will if they know what's good for them.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Wed Jun 07, 2017 4:43 am

Anglerphobe wrote:Also, looking muscular is not requisite for being a fighter. Fighting requires more dynamic limber strength and dextrous strength than straight stuff-moving ability. To put it in the simplest terms, weights aren't known for fighting back.

Pictured below: Weight fighting back against the more important limber and dexterity
phpBB [video]

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby D-LOGAN » Wed Jun 07, 2017 11:27 am

cmsellers wrote:But men do have to cut off their balls to ride horses, right?

Just the middle one. The other three play an important function in wind resistance.

Not just yet, I'm still tender from before.
D-LOGAN
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: ALL PRAISE UNTO MIGHTY KEK!

Postby Anglerphobe » Wed Jun 07, 2017 6:42 pm

Grimstone wrote:Pictured below: Weight fighting back against the more important limber and dexterity

I was referring to actual iron weights that you train with. "Not fighting back" is vague, I'll grant you. I meant that weights behave very predictably in the hands, which is exactly the last thing an opponent will do. They don't twist and shift their centre of gravity around or try to change direction and force apart your grip, or hook your arms or pull away from you. Consequently, training with weights alone doesn't cultivate the kind of strength you need most in a fight. It's far from useless, but it's not as essential to the practice as, for example, bagwork or rolling. Neither of those is going to make you super muscular but you will become powerful. This is why real fighters can be so lanky and still devastatingly effective.
Regarding McGregor vs the giant, if you want to see some freakshow fights that were actually competitive, I would recommend reading up on the career of Minowa Ikuhisa. He fought some crazy David and Goliath contests back in the ridiculous glory days of Japanese MMA promotions.

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby Grimstone » Thu Jun 08, 2017 12:35 pm

I imagine the reason why female fighters tend to be skinny/lanky looking is because that putting on muscle mass is a much more difficult/slower process for them than it is their male counterparts(and also they may actually want to avoid the appearance of having giant hulking muscles). Still, a fighter's body composition will be largely composed of muscle and additional mass provides enough of an advantage that combat sports find it necessary to class fighters by their weight.

Edit: Speaking of interesting people, check this guy out: Louis Cyr

Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Postby Anglerphobe » Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:05 pm

You seem to be missing my point. It's not strength and size itself that I'm denying the usefulness of but looking super muscular like a comic book character. Some fighters do look like that (Eddie Alvarez, Anthony Joshua, Sage Northcutt, Vitor Belfort, Jessica Andrade, Chris Cyborg) but you don't have to, and most fighters don't. Some don't even look any more muscular than an average person. Looking buff is not essential for being a strong, powerful fighter.
Giant superhero muscles are typical of bodybuilders, and hardly unusual in martial artists, but it shouldn't be considered surprising or noteworthy if a fighter doesn't have them. Both male and female fighters can have that skinny body type, or an unremarkable amount of muscle definition compared to normal people. My point is that you don't have to look big and muscly to be powerful and dangerous as a martial artist. For all the jacked mini hulks I mentioned above, there are skinny and pudgy opponents who compete against them in the same weight division.

Max Holloway

Nate Diaz

Kelvin Gastelum

Rach Wiley

Leslie Smith

Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Next