Satire is hard, as Dorkly finds out.

General interest items found around the web.

Re: Satire is hard, as Dorkly finds out.

Postby Grimstone » Thu Jun 08, 2017 11:18 pm

Anglerphobe wrote:You seem to be missing my point. It's not strength and size itself that I'm denying the usefulness of but looking super muscular like a comic book character. Some fighters do look like that (Eddie Alvarez, Anthony Joshua, Sage Northcutt, Vitor Belfort, Jessica Andrade, Chris Cyborg) but you don't have to, and most fighters don't. Some don't even look any more muscular than an average person. Looking buff is not essential for being a strong, powerful fighter.
Giant superhero muscles are typical of bodybuilders, and hardly unusual in martial artists, but it shouldn't be considered surprising or noteworthy if a fighter doesn't have them. Both male and female fighters can have that skinny body type, or an unremarkable amount of muscle definition compared to normal people. My point is that you don't have to look big and muscly to be powerful and dangerous as a martial artist. For all the jacked mini hulks I mentioned above, there are skinny and pudgy opponents who compete against them in the same weight division.

Let's rewind.. I originally said something along the lines of "You'd think warriors would have a bit of muscle on them" which I think is reasonably true. This whole "fighters don't have to have giant superhero bodybuilder muscles" is all you.

"The struggle itself towards the heights is enough to fill a man's heart."
Grimstone
TCS Guerilla

Show rep
Title: Creature of the Night

Postby Anglerphobe » Fri Jun 09, 2017 12:10 am

I assumed that from the context, what with the thread being about a superheroine, and the fact that you accompanied that point with footage of someone with a pretty burly physique doing big deadlifts.

"Tusser, they tell me, when thou wert alive,
Thou, teaching thrift, thyselfe couldst never thrive.
So, like the whetstone, many men are wont
To sharpen others, when themselves are blunt."

Anyone who has any kind of opinion fucking disgusts me.
Anglerphobe
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep
Title: round Earth shill

Postby Malfeasinator » Sun Jun 11, 2017 11:50 am

This thread has really gone off the rails.

I don't know what a UFC dude vs. THE MOUNTAIN has to do with a satire article of a review that never existed.

Malfeasinator
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: this guy

Previous