Saints Row 2 is free on GoG and the series is on GoG connect

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Saints Row 2 is free on GoG and the series is on GoG connect

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 3:40 pm

Hey, this is happening. The folks at GoG are giving away copies of Saint's Row 2 for free (it's a gog-exclusive patch so it won't have the insane speed nonsense going on I believe)
Another related promotion is the wonderful GoG connect feature I posted about on its initial release.

Connect is a new feature that uses Steam's public facing user-libraries to link GoG copies of games to Steam, giving you, essentially for free, a DRM free (and therefore way better) version of the game. If you own the other games in the series on steam and have a public steam library (which isn't really that big a deal) then you can get GoG copies of the game. Icing on the cake is that the GoG copies seem to be coming with all the DLC, so if you for some reason owned the incomplete versions of the game, you'll get the ultimate stuff for free.

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier

Re: Saints Row 2 is free on GoG and the series is on GoG con

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:00 pm

More to the point, for anyone that hasn't played Saints Row 2, it's the best crime sandbox game ever created. I'm not even kidding; fuck GTA V, 4, Watch_Dogs, fuck 'em all, Saints Row 2 is as amazing as it gets.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Re: Saints Row 2 is free on GoG and the series is on GoG con

Postby A Combustible Lemon » Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:45 pm

Well it's pretty good but basically this is the point at which GTA went serious and SR stayed at around vice city+ levels of silly. So if you miss GTA games that aren't 4, this one's great. Be prepared to not be able to drive, ever though. There's CPU issues that make handling impossible. There's a revamp mod called gentlemen of the row that people say fixes it, but it comes with a bunch of extra houses and costumes and meh.
edit: more on porting
Basically this is a PC port that's DMC3 levels of bad. The menus are shit, cars speed at completely batshit levels all the time, the later lose the tail missions basically become games of explosive tag with 50 fucking news vans running faster than you.

But as I said, the GoG guys usually fix this sort of thing, and the reddit thread did mention something of the sort.

double edit found my screenshots of the thing FIFTY IS NOT AN EXAGGERATION

WE ARE ALL FLOATING IN THE WINDS OF TIME. BUT YOUR CANDLE WILL FLICKER FOR SOME TIME BEFORE IT GOES OUT -- A LITTLE REWARD FOR A LIFE WELL LIVED. FOR I CAN SEE THE BALANCE AND YOU HAVE LEFT THE WORLD MUCH BETTER THAN YOU FOUND IT, AND IF YOU ASK ME, said Death, NOBODY COULD DO ANY BETTER THAN THAT...
A Combustible Lemon
TCS Regular
TCS Regular

Show rep
Title: Grenadier