Let's Play the BEST GAME EVER!!! (FFIX)

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Let's Play the BEST GAME EVER!!! (FFIX)

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:58 am

So as some of you may know, FINAL FANTASY IX IS THE GREATEST GAME IN EXISTENCE. Okay, that's a bit subjective, but it's a super solid RPG and really the game that got me as in to the genre, and video games in general. I wouldn't be where I am now without this game. It was always there for me in good times and bad and yada yada it has a special place in my heart, blah blah, ~*~MAJESTIC~*~

So here we go, Imma play some FFIX for yous guises! Enjoy :D
Spoiler: show

I am soooooo hype. This is the Steam version so I am excite to see what they've improved.

So we start off with a cutscene involving a ship being tossed around the raging seas. The camera zooms in finally for us to see a woman and a young girl.

As you can see, the real-time graphics are done by Akira Fujii. Thank you Mr. Fujii.

Alas, twas all but a dream and we are greeted to the face of a beautiful princess awakening from her slumber and opening up the windows to the kingdom below. Queendom, I guess.

Don't compare those two images too hard.

So anyway, we learn who did the character modeling while an airship sails in to the kingdom.

On it, we take control for the first time of a monkey-tailed young man.

Ugh, dem graphics. I know some people have already seen the crisper, cleaned up graphics by playing on emulators but this is my first time not playing it on the PS1 discs and it is AMAZING. I can actually see Cinna's ugly mug!

I am all butterflie-y all over again.

I figure in the interest of being open, I will let you all know that I am doing the max gil option in the game. I've played it many times before, I'll still be grinding, I didn't do the levels or abilities or any of that. But dang it if I don't want to be rich! I didn't change much else, just sped up the battles and a few other preference based options.

Here is our young mystery man:

So after poking around the airship while the game harasses me to light a candle, we get some info!

Afterwards, we finally light the candle and are greeted by 3 dudes. We now get to choose our name.

I normally name my characters in this game other things, but with the Let's Play I'll just stick to default.

Note: The game may or may not have already lied to you.

I am liking the new name input screen, looks pretty smooth.

After naming our character, our little group is attacked by a weirdo in a dragon mask.

To battle! Which means stealing for 15 minutes while Cinna dies.

For those of you who are not familiar with the game, it means stealing for 15 minutes while Cinna dies.

After the battle we get laughed at by this jackass and rounded up in to the meeting room. It is time for... THE PLAN!

How will we accomplish this? By posing as a theater troupe!

Now anyone who has played this game knows that this is the point when you troll the Boss by repeatedly asking if you're supposed to kidnap Queen Brahne.

Keep doing it for about 15 minutes AAAAAAANNNNDDD

Ruby shows up and you get one extra line of dialogue!

Worth it.

After finally confirming the actual kidnap target, the Prima Vista docks in Alexandria, revealing the best character in the best game:

*hype intensifies*

Oh, also the logo and whatevs

We now get to take control of the cute little dude I just showed you. He is immediately bumped in to and falls over, upon which a nice little girl returns to him his dropped ticket.

The grace. The dignity.

ImageTip for beginners: Instead of walking forward when you take control of the little dude, exit the screen behind you for a whole other area.

So we quickly learn that a play is going on in Alexandria (the one Tantalus is performing) and the nobles have come to watch it while the peasants scrimp and save to maybe afford a ticket to the show. Most watch from the rooftops.

Also, some more info:

Good Guy FFIX acknowledging the historical contributions of women.

ImageTip for beginners: Search around the walls and such to find hidden treasures!

Here's our new fella, by the way, Best Character McGee:

And upon exploring, we find more info:

There will be a quiz. I also get to suck at jump rope, yay! I'm not used to using a keyboard for this game. That is the only reason I am not good at the jump rope mini-game.

The ONLY reasons :?

ImageTip for beginners: Make sure to explore the whole city before going to the ticket booth!

So after exploring and stealing Hippaul's secret treasure, we head to the ticket booth for some info dump:

It is finally time to show our ticket but it turns out...

And that's how we didn't get away with forgery.

Anyway, we run in to a rat-faced kid who bumped in to us earlier and he has a proposition for us.

That sounds reasonable! So with our help, the rat-faced kid steals a ladder.

ImageTip for beginners: Stick around in the alley for a second to meet Alleyway Jack who will teach you about a card game. Don't linger for too long though or he'll steal some of your gil.

After learning about cards from Gilgaaaaaaaa......lleyway Jack, we head back to the rat kid who sends us up the bell tower, which is interrupted when a Moogle falls on us.

We get to meet our first moogle friend and also see Stiltzkin, the great traveling moogle!

The moogles act as your save points and also

We get to deliver mail for the moogles :mrgreen:!

I'm going to stop here for now because it's 2 am on a Tuesday, but gosh I love this game.

Will Tantalus kidnap the Princess? Will the point-hat boy get to see the play? Tune in next time!!

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Pinkasaurus Rex

Re: Let's Play the BEST GAME EVER!!! (FFIX)

Postby KleinerKiller » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:18 am

... When you proposed an LP of this, I assumed you meant an actual Let's Play. Like, a video series with commentary over gameplay.

This is good too.

Also, this game is fucking weird. Not typically what I think of when I think of Final Fantasy, and I can't say I see the appeal yet. Hopefully it can win me over, because I like liking things.

"Your mind is software. Program it. Your body is a shell. Change it. Death is a disease. Cure it." - Eclipse Phase

NEW REVIEW! Judgment / Judge Eyes (2019)
KleinerKiller
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep
Title: Cute

Postby AboveGL » Tue Feb 21, 2017 8:28 am

I never bothered with the skipping game but I'll have to next time I play this since there's a steam achievement.

AboveGL
TCS Sithlord
TCS Sithlord

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Feb 21, 2017 7:01 pm

We're back with our pointy-hated friend, following after the rat faced boy who leads us to the rooftops.

Indeed we are, luckily the boy has some reassuring words for us

:x

So anyway, as we continue to follow him, we realize we haven't made introductions yet!

And now we have a name for the best character ever!

And puck.

ImageBeginner tip: Explore the rooftops for extra treasures!

Finally the show begins and Vivi and Puck manage to sneak their way in

Queen Brahne is rather excited for the celebration.

Not everyone, however, is showing the same enthusiasm.

That's one sad princess.

Look at this goob.

The play begins but I won't show you much of it because go play the game!!!! IT'S SUPER GOOD!!!

Basically at some point we have a sword duel.

And gosh was it harder on the keyboard for me. I'm so used to the PlayStation controller. I got a decent score the second time around though:

So anyway, Zidane and Blank make their exit stage left and begin to put their kidnapping scheme in to action.

However, on the way, Zidane runs in to a hooded-girl whom he immediately begins to shamelessly flirt with.

Smooooth operator~

When Blank shows up to ask what's going on, the girl takes the opportunity to bolt it.

Zorn and Thorn, the court jesters, aka the video game characters my boyfriend despises most in the world, let General Beatrix know that Garnet is in trouble. Beatrix informs the queen.

She orders Beatrix and

And Captain memorable here

Steiner, to retrieve the Princess at one. Steiner, being the Captain of the Knights of Pluto, orders his troops to assemble.

Unfortunately only two show up and they happen to be in their undies.

And now we begin to search for the Princess!

ImageBeginner tip: Try to find all of the Knights. If you do you'll get a nice reward. Also, when you report them in, take note of what is said about each, it will come in handy later on.

Here is our handy dandy list of knights to find. I do find them all. I won't show you every one but let's just say that most aren't super enthused about their jobs.

This one with the patch face and no name is not sketchy at all!

Also who is this goofy goof?

ImageBeginner tip: Go see Brahne again during your search for an item!

After searching around, Steiner finally finds the Princess being hounded by a ne'er-do-well.

Just as Zidane is about to catch her, she kills herself by jumping off of the castle tower.

And thus ends our story.

Really though, she's just fine and Zidane goes after her.

Steiner attempts the same trick only to go crashing in to the Prima Vista.

Garnet escapes in to the airship, knocking in to Ruby along the way.

Zidane comes along shortly, only to be blocked by Ruby who needs to vent about the Princess' rude behaviour.

Zidane finally catches up with the hooded girl.

OH-EM-GEE IT'S THE PRINCESS WHAT A TWIST

That is a bit more of a surprise though.

And that's how babies are made~

Their chat session is interrupted by Cinna, who leads them to an escape hatch just as Steiner busts in looking for Garnet.

He is joined by one of his knights who conveniently gets stuck in the escape hatch trying to chase after them.

ImageBeginner tip: While escaping through the engine room, turn the wheel on the engine for extra treasures!

Unfortunately for us, Steiner finds a way to cut us off anyway. On the brightside, the sketchy knight was actually Blank in disguise!

A boss battle ensues during which Cinna almost dies again and then Steiner slashes the armour off of Blank, revealing the oglop bugs Blank was hiding in there.

Thankfully for us, everyone hates oglops.

It doesn't take long for the others to catch up, so we're stuck heading up to the stage and improvising the play.

Meanwhile, Vivi and Puck are enjoying the show when the guards notice them where they shouldn't be and begin to chase them around. Vivi trips and Puck ditches him, so Vivi has to run on stage, where he casts a fire spell to defend himself. Sadly, the Princess is in the way and her hood catches on fire. She flings it off, blowing everyone's cover.

Always quick on the uptake, that Steiner. Garnet tells him to leave her alone, but he doesn't listen.

Another boss fight ensues, after which the Tantalus theater troop prepares to take off with the Princess.

Queen Brahne does not take kindly to this and orders the Prima Vista to be fired on.

Explosions and stuff

Eventually she fires a Bomb, meaning an actual Bomb enemy at the ship.

It looks much more impressive there than in the game itself. Steiner keeps trying to fight us while we try and convince him that there is a bomb behind him that's going to explode.

The battle menu is different. It's not bad, but I'm not fully sure what I think of it yet. Anyway, finally the Bomb grows large enough to blow up and Steiner FINALLY notices it.

Another explosion happens, but thankfully the Prima Vista makes it out.

Brahne is quite upset.

The Prima Vista doesn't make it out without issue, however.

And it makes a crash landing in a nearby forest.

There's Zorn and Thorn in the background. And here is the state of the Prima Vista:

It'll probably buff out.

Cinna and the rest of Tantalus are ordered to put out fires and make sure everyone is okay, but they unfortunately can't find the Princess.

Zidane had been thrown off during the impact, but quickly reunites with Cinna to get an idea of the situation.

Meanwhile, we are shown our first Active Time Event, which depicts scenes of what's going on elsewhere with our other characters.

And that's where we will end for today after that hectic opening. Tune in next time!

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri Feb 24, 2017 6:17 am

Welcome to the Evil Forest~!

When we left off, Zidane left in search of the princess. Well, we do find her. Sort of. Steiner is also there.

This leads to a battle which introduces the largely useless Trance system.

Trance leads to an increase of abilities that varies from character to character. The bummer is that it activates when your Trance gauge fills after being hit so many times, and you can't save it. So usually it will activate on some random encounter when you don't even need it. Anyway, in this fight and the next one, the monster drains the HP of the character so you'll need to keep them healed. After defeating this thing the first time, it runs off with Garnet.

Afterwards, it comes right back to snatch up Vivi. Fortunately, Vivi can defend himself by casting Fire from the inside of the creature.

Vivi is pretty rad.

Just to add insult to injury though, after the thing is killed it decides to poisonously fart on everyone.

Zidane luckily... backflips... over the gas but the other two aren't so fortunate. Vivi ends up bedridden back at the Prima Vista whereas Steiner gets locked in a storage room.

Blank goes to Vivi to administer him some magical medicine.

After hearing that creepy news, Vivi understandably asks if he's going to die.

The answer is yes, Vivi, we all die eventually.

(I just summed up Vivi's entire story in one sentence. You're welcome.)

Steiner is also given some magical medicine, which is finds highly suspect.

In the end though, he decides its worth the risk.

Zidane, meanwhile, is talking to Boss Baku about rescuing the Princess. Baku, however, decides to prioritize his men and get the heck out of the Evil Forest ASAP.

We get some ATE's around this time:

Ruby is left behind,

Steiner finds a Garnet doll,

SHE'S 16 NOW SHE JUST HAD HER BIRTHDAY, he feels the need to explain to himself.

And Cinna, meanwhile

Zidane goes to pay a visit to Vivi.

Zidane disagrees with Vivi's harsh self-criticism and compliments his fire conjuring skills.

This conversation leads Zidane to an inner debate about whether or not he should go against the Boss and get Garnet back.

ImageBeginner tip: After the flashback to how Zidane met Garnet, choose not to go after her for a second scene.

Zidane, renewed in his resolve to save the Princess, decides to venture back in to the Evil Forest.

Turns out that Baku was actually expecting this to happen and waits for Zidane.

Predictably, this leads to a fight:

After winning the fight and getting punched in the gut, Baku gives his blessings.

The next order of business is to recruit Steiner to the cause.

Things are off to a good start.

Zidane, being the tactful gentleman he is, proceeds to insult Steiner by calling him Rusty.

(The sound of Steiner's armour clanking is the best, btw.)

Steiner makes it clear he won't work with thieving kidnapping... thieves, when Zidane explains that this is something he's doing on his own.

He eventually convinces Steiner to come along.

Steiner, from the get-go, has a strong respect for Vivi. So off to see out little black mage friend!

While Vivi is still hard on himself, the other two assure him that his Black Magic is an invaluable asset to them.

Zidane and Steiner are friends!

After convincing Vivi to help out, Steiner pulls him aside with a request:

And thus we gain an invaluable skill for the next boss battle.

On our way out, Blank decides to give us a ribbing.

Turns out he is not jealous, but actually wanted to give us some medicine in case we get plant-monster inseminated again. As you do.

After getting Blank's version of a blessing, we set off in to the Evil Forest again. But not before mail time!

Yay!

So anyways, we head in to the forest and get a little ATE where the Tantalus band starts playing to improve moral.

Then we come across a small clearing in the woods where we can relax and take a breather.

Fun fact: I did not run in to a single random encounter in this forest. Not one. Before and after this point. Making me paranoid.

ImageBeginner tip: You can recover HP/MP at the spring the moogle was drinking from.

Speaking of moogles, MAIL TIME AGAIN!

ImageBeginner tip: Make sure you select Mognet from the moogle menu more than once in order to get everything!

And another ATE of Tantalus getting ready for their departure:

After leaving the forest clearing and STILL NOT GETTING IN ANY FIGHTS, we get a sneak peak at the boss:

Which we then get to fight! (Yes, it looks much more impressive in the FMV.)

ImageBeginner tip: Fire and that magic sword skill come in handy this fight!

After a little bit, Blank comes in to join the fight as well!

This fight took me a while because of the stealing, but since I used Focus on Vivi a ton of times, it actually only took two hits to beat it. Not too shabby!

ImageBeginner tip: Focus is broken. Use it.

Garnet starts to come to, but we're unfortunately not out of the woods (teehee) yet.

These weird thangs start to chase us and the forest starts to attack us.

Not only that but the forest starts to petrify.

Zidane is almost caught by a plant monster before Blank shoves him out of the way.

Dat ass.

Blank is unfortunately caught but as Zidane is running away, he throws the map at his friend, who is reluctant to leave him, ensuring that Zidane gets it.

The Evil Forest soon petrifies, as does our poor friend Blank :(

Zidane is understandably upset but gets a camp started for Garnet and the others. After being fussed at by Steiner for being dastardly and not morally upstanding, Garnet comes to.

Steiner fusses more.

Garnet tells Steiner to stop fussing and that she wanted to be kidnapped. Steiner doesn't believe it!

He does agree that he will keep watch over the camp though in the name of protecting the Princess, but he and Zidane argue about what to do next. Zidane suggests resting because Garnet hasn't recovered her full strength, whereas Steiner wants to get going because they're low down topographically, meaning they're surrounded by dangerous mist. This is called the Mist Continent by the way.

Zidane and Garnet talk about Blank's sacrifice.

In the morning, we set off, but not before a moogle friend shows up.

This flute allows us to save our game anywhere on the world map! It also has unlimited uses, so go crazy!

ImageBeginner tip: Literally go crazy with it. Your moogle friend will get increasingly less and less patient with you if you call many many times in a row without actually saving or doing anything. Try it out!

With our flute in hand, we set off for the cavern!

Tune in next time~

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:31 am

We left off after Evil Forest and Blank got petrified and now we're headed for the Ice Cavern. But first, being good RPG players, we will explore and find another area! There's not much to do here but we get some extra scenes.

Surely nothing can be amiss here! No siree!

ImageBeginner tip: If you go examine the gate and persist with it, you'll be able to talk to someone.

After checking around, we head for our destination!

After that awkward mood killer (thanks Vivi) we head inside the cavern, which a few of them are not dressed appropriately for.

Upon entering, Garnet is already excite about seeing everything, while Steiner fusses at her for not being cautious enough or whatever.

He would be. Look at him, he has no sleeves.

ImageBeginner tip: There will be areas where the mist is thicker in the Cavern and then it will fade away. Stepping in to the mist will almost guarantee a battle whereas waiting for it to clear will usually save you from one. Use this to your advantage whether you want to fight or avoid doing so.

Along the way we find some ice walls, which Vivi can helpfully burn down with his magic.

There's quite a few of these areas so pay attention!

It's actually a rather short dungeon and before long we arrive at a fork in the road, with one path looking clear while the other one has a raging blizzard coming from it. We go to the safe one first to find a moogle friend trapped in the ice.

After being freed by Vivi, he calls us bastards before thanking us and giving us another letter to deliver. Afterwards we head to the obviously ominous path.

Unfortunately, it's super cold and our party starts dropping like flies.

The screen goes black before the sound of a bell can be heard. Zidane wakes up.

ImageBeginner tip: You're probably going to want to make sure you're fully healed right about now.

Going to the next area, Zidane finds this pleasant looking fellow who admits to causing the blizzard:

This leads to one of my least favourite boss fights in the whole game. Our Black Waltz friend here summons a Sealion:

And the only character you get to use is Zidane:

Unfortunately, if you're trying to steal from them both, this will be a long fight. Not only because you have two bosses to steal from but because you'll probably have to stop and heal a few times. If you get Trance, like I did, the fight can be ended in a few moves. Unfortunately I didn't get to steal but that's okay, I know I can get the items later.

ImageBeginner tip: Defeat the Black Waltz first or he'll just summon more Sealions. Also, the gem in the middle of the Sealion changes colours depending on how much damage you've done, and when it's in the red he'll start using more powerful moves.

After finishing this annoying boss fight, we hear voices.

Zidane's a bit freaked at first but then just leaves like it's nothing.

It's THOSE two.

After returning to the previous area, Zidane finds his friends (and Steiner) awake and confused.

Aside from the terrible accusations, Zidane does stupidly decide to say that nothing really happened, no big deal, let's move on. Like maybe, just MAYBE, the Black Waltz and the comments about there being more on the way to come get the Princess might be worth mentioning. Just a thought.

Anyways, we finally get to leave the Ice Cavern even though that little waterfall area was pretty!

I don't know what Vivi is doing there. They spot a village in the distance.

Garnet is excited to get going but Zidane tells her to hold her horses, being a wanted Princess and all.

Steiner, however, disagrees with this. Because of course he does.

The Princess fusses at him and he looks temporarily ashamed.

Zidane and Steiner of course get in to a fight and Zidane's dagger falls to Garnet's feet. Vivi's also visibly on the sidelines like "dese jackasses"

So anyway, Garnet picks up the dagger and asks Zidane what it is.

Before interrupting him and deciding on her new name.

Yup, Dagger. I've played this game so many times that I don't even remember if it's weird or not.

After more fussing from Steiner, the group heads out.

As usual, be sure to explore a bit first! You can find South Gate although you can't go through without a border pass.

ImageBeginner tip: You can call for a girl named Mary and wait a little bit and she'll let you rest and buy items!

Also, if you head to the observatory you can activate a sidequest by looking at the old man's theater ship model.

We also run in to our first friendly monster who wants some ore in exchange for AP!

He also sends his regard to the next friendly monster you meet. Keep your ore's, they'll come in handy. AP are the points needed to learn skills and abilities. You get very good amounts from these monsters.

After all of that is done, we finally head to the next town.

Vivi is immediately smitten with the windmills but Zidane urges them to go rest first.

Despite his attempt at assertiveness, Zidane brings them to the Inn. The Innkeeper is asleep so Zidane wakes him up.

Dagger is a bit uncomfortable with everyone sharing a room, but that's country living for ya! So they head inside and Zidane asks Dagger why she wanted to be kidnapped.

She says she wants to go to Lindblum. This unfortunately means border crossing, which isn't something one can do all willy-nilly on the Mist Continent.

Dagger won't give us the exact reason she wishes to depart, but asks that we trust her.

This of course leads to an argument between Steiner and Zidane before Zidane gets struck with Chronic Hero Syndrome, an unfortunate disease that affects hundreds of protagonists everywhere.

After seeing Vivi dozed off, because he ain't got time for dat, they all decide to get some sleep.

Zidane wakes up the next morning to the sound of a singing voice and everyone has already left the Inn.

He guesses Dagger is doing the singing. We get to explore the Inn a bit, learn our lucky colour for today (green) and see some Easy Money type books. We also get a few scenes of our friends. Dagger is pondering to herself about her situation:

Dagger takes this opportunity to converse with the farmer when an oglop hops her way.

After remembering his advice, Dagger throws the oglop in to the air and screams.

Vivi, meanwhile, is having his own troubles.

The kids in town start to run away from him when he gets too close.

Aww, why is poor, sweet Vivi being bullied :(

FIND OUT NEXT TIME!!!

But first, a word from our moogles:

Tune in next time to learn the ugly truth behind a peaceful village~

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Sun Feb 26, 2017 7:27 am

So while we go explore Dali, the Innkeeper is being a bit sketchy.

Wonder what's going on here...

Dagger, meanwhile, is trying to pick up some casual conversation.

While we explore town, we can check out the Mayor's office, which we promptly get kicked out of.

We can also get our first Stellazzio coin, collectable zodiac coins we can trade in for treasures!

Afterwards, we head back to the item shop to find Dagger staring at the shelves. After Zidane imitates her for a bit, she finally realizes he's there.

Because we nice people, we compliment Dagger's efforts by saying "It's Ruby!"

"Be yourself but don't really we need you to pretend you're someone else so we can sneak around."

ImageBeginner tip: If you can afford it, buy at least 2 of every piece of equipment. It'll come in handy later on.

Meanwhile, the Innkeeper is still being sketchy. He made a special call...

We send Dagger back to the Inn and go look for Vivi, who is staring at the windmills. After Zidane awkwardly guesses he's having girl troubles, an issue Vivi couldn't care less about, Vivi talks about the noises he's been hearing.

Final Fantasy fans know that this means Chocobo, although none can be seen.

After that conversation, Vivi agrees to head back soon and Zidane walks off. Unfortunately...

Vivi is magenapped, very sad :(

Also, if you creep on Dagger through the Inn window, you'll see her practicing her speech some more!

Pictured above: Garnet, being herself.

We return to the Inn and let Dagger know the situation.

Turns out the Princess has been quite enjoying herself.

But she isn't without her suspicions either.

They're not nearly as cute as the kids, especially the little girls in this village, so who cares, really.

Putting the issues aside, Zidane lets the Princess know that he is a man with a plan.

Unfortunately, it doesn't involve Steiner.

After a brief time skip, we see Zidane boring Dagger to death with his lame stories, when she insists she is TOTALLY INTERESTED but where the heck is Vivi though?

Of course we can't ditch our adorable amigo, so we head out to go look for him.

Steiner meanwhile has been keeping himself busy by helping out at the bar!

Steiner then switches gears to try and figure out how to get the Princess back to Alexandria castle.

When she learns that he's a knight from the castle, she decides to share some info with him.

Isn't she just precious?

So anyways, back to the search for Vivi, we go check the area he was last seen, but there is no sign of him.

They do pick up some crying sounds though coming from a pipe sticking out of the ground.

He tells us how some man came and grabbed him.

So we of course promise to go rescue our scared little friend.

CONVENIENTLY for us, the little hatch that was always guarded is suddenly unattended!

So we head down to some strange underground factory area. We overhear two dudes talking about something ambiguous and why something was just moving around.

They also discuss the Mayor's brother, the Innkeeper.

After the conversation, we see the two men pushing Vivi out.

Zidane takes a fit and goes to attack but Dagger silences him and drags him off to the side. She says she wants to know what's going on and how it relates to the castle. She urges him to not cause any trouble yet, and Zidane agrees on the condition that he will jump in if Vivi is in danger.

ImageBeginner tip: There's some good treasures, make sure you pick them up!

As we explore deeper in to the factory, we discover some pretty sketch stuff.

We find Vivi, stuffed in a crate. Vivi is having himself a bad day.

Zidane tells him to try and do something next time, to stand up for himself.

With Vivi found, we head further in to investigate what exactly is going on.

We learn that soylent green is PEOPLE!!

ImageBeginner tip: There will be a door with mist coming out from under it. If you open it, you can go get some treasures, but it will also cause random encounters to appear in the dungeon.

What we actually find further in is some more weird machines.

As you can kind of see, there is mist being sprayed on the eggs, and then they start hatching. What's in the eggs you ask?

Imagine the existential crisis you would have if you found a factory full of yourself like this? Vivi's day just got worse!

Before we can get in to the details, we hear some voices and Zidane shoves everyone in to the machine to hide.

This leads to our heroes being shoved in crates and packaged in to a giant barrel.

Steiner, meanwhile, is trying to arrange transportation for himself and the Princess back to Alexandria castle.

Old man Morrid, however, gives zero craps about anything not related to coffee.

Morrid gives absolutely zero craps.

After following him to his house, because Steiner is an intense fellow, he offers us some coffee, which Steiner gratefully accepts before remembering his mission.

Morrid's crap count remains at zero. After Steiner pleads with him to tell when the cargo ship is arriving, and being made fun of some more, he explains to Morrid that this is a matter of right and wrong.

Everyone knows right from wrong, explains Steiner, who simply gets chuckled at by Morrid.

Finally having the necessary information, Steiner heads to check out the cargo ship, which he spots in the distance.

Noticing some stuff coming out of the ground, he charges his way over to the cargo ship to investigate.

He notices a giant barrel which he decides to try stabbing because why not. That's what I do when I spot barrels.

Turns out the barrel hosts out heroes. Zidane and Steiner argue some more because of course they do, but Vivi is the one really having a rough time.

Zidane only says they should stick by him before asking Steiner where the cargo ship is headed.

LIAR

LIARRRRRRRR

Before we have time to react though, we get a new friend!

"Oh no, not another one!" exclaims Zidane.

AND YOU DIDN'T THINK TO TELL US THIS EARLY WHEN WE SPECIFICALLY ASKED YOU IF SOMETHING HAD HAPPENED?

But for some reason no one fusses at him and we instead get a boss fight.

ImageBeginner tip: He won't attack Dagger so she can focus on healing the others. Also, he will counter Vivi's magic, so either use Focus a few times to make your shots worth it, focus on using only the magic sword with Steiner, or just be ready to heal after Vivi's turns.

After the fight, Dagger's doubt about her mother continues to grow, while Steiner's loyalty remains forever strong as he refuses to believe the Queen would have anything to do with whatever is going on.

We choose to rest at the Inn again before leaving, where the Innkeeper is shocked to see Vivi still up and around.

ImageBeginner tip: If you forgot to do anything underground now is your last chance to go back.

And that's all for this time. Stay tuned next time when we'll board the cargo ship and learn more about the dolls we saw in Dali!

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Wed Mar 01, 2017 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Sun Feb 26, 2017 8:37 am

This is my favourite game and I have spent way too much money on collectibles. Well, the ones that you could actually find. I got it on STEAM after waiting for years. This should be fun.

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Feb 28, 2017 9:27 pm

I have the next update ready but imgur is giving me some troubles today. Next update should be soon!

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Wed Mar 01, 2017 3:29 am

Alrighty, we're back!
Next stop, the airship! Steiner insists that he will go speak to the cargo ship crew to get them on board. Dagger is starting to realize he's being a bit sketchy.

Zidane already caught on to the fact that the cargo ship is actually headed back to Alexadria, but he asks Dagger to trust him because he has a plan.

Vivi, meanwhile, is still struggling with what they saw underground.

Before they can discuss too much though, the cargo ship starts taking off and our crew has to hurry up and get on.

After some accidental butt groping and fussing, they head in to the cargo ship. Vivi is still afraid of heights.

Unfortunately, all is not well with our little buddy even when he goes inside when they realize that the airship crew is those Black Mages they saw. He tries to talk with them but they are completely unresponsive.

Zidane asks Dagger to support Vivi and then plans to get the ship to go to Lindblum.

On the deck we find Steiner wallowing in misery.

Zidane quickly tells him off, which upsets Steiner until he realizes that Dagger is on the ship like he wanted. The he reveals his ~master plan~ of using the airship to go back to Alexandria. He sure did pull a fast one on nobody.

That's pretty harsh. Zidane, meanwhile, gives limited craps and only wants to go get the ship turned around. Steiner, being the standup fellow he is, starts to consider a more lenient sentence for Zidane, who has helped keep the Princess safe.

Meanwhile, trouble's-a-brewin.

That's a face you can trust.

Zidane commandeers the cargo ship and turns it around, which greatly upsets Steiner.

The Black Mages start to react to this, to the confusion of everyone.

Dagger and Vivi had made their way up to the deck but unfortunately, Black Waltz #3 decides to drop in and electrocute poor Vivi.

Vivi has some unexpected allies thankfully and the Black Mages show up to shield him.

At this he starts killing the Black Mages with his super magic or whatever.

This makes Vivi sad :(

Black Waltz doesn't care about how sad Vivi is though and so he MUST BE DESTROYED

Vivi, upset at what happened, goes rushing out to confront the foe. Steiner and Zidane soon follow.

Leaving their destination in Dagger's hands, the other three confront the Black Waltz.

The Black Waltz calls the Black Mages mere tools and Steiner calls his actions reprehensible whether they were his allies or not.

And then of course we have a BOSS FIGHT!

ImageBeginner tips: This will either be a very easy fight or a very hard one. The last thing you can steal will take a long time to steal unless you have luck on your side. You'll also use many items. If you want to save Vivi's auto-Trance for after you've stolen, you can use Square (or equivalent) to switch to other characters with active ATB bars.

So after a stupidly long fight in which all three of my characters ended up in Trance, the final Black Waltz is defeated!

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Turns out we did not defeat the Black Waltz.

Zorn and Thorn decide to hightail it while the Black Waltz steals their ship.

Nothing concerning there.

It doesn't take long for the others to notice the impending threat.

Vivi stands sadly on the dock, sad about the loss of his people as the Black Waltz closes in.

~Intense faces~

The Black Waltz makes its way to the cargo ship and resumes his attack.

This time Vivi is having none of it and manages to blow the Black Waltz back a bit.

Unfortunately, having used up his energy, Vivi collapses. Zidane rescues him just in the nick of time as they begin to pass through South Gate, still pursued by the crazed Black Waltz.

It follows them in to the gate where it begins to cast a spell, which in the close quarters of the gate just goes awry and sets his own ship aflame.

This causes a massive explosion that propels the cargo ship forward and out of South Gate just in time.

While everyone else is down about what just happened, Zidane is as cheery as ever.

But I mean, aside from all of that...

Vivi is still pontificating about how similar he is to those Black Mages and for once its Steiner to the rescue.

Don't piggyback off of Steiner finally saying something smart!

Anyways we now pull up to the massive industrial city of Lindblum, a whole city inside of a castle.

There's also a castle in the castle.

We dock in the castle castle and meet some soldiers who find us pretty suspicious.

Everyone is super impressed with the castle except for Dagger, who has been here before.

Anyways, Dagger tells the guards she wishes to speak to Regent Cid and shows her Falcon's Claw, a national treasure, as proof of her identity since she's traveling in a cargo ship with weirdos. They call Minister Artania who recognizes her immediately. She's obviously familiar with him as well as she calls him Uncle Artania.

Next time we will be going to meet the Regent, but first, here's an update on our traveling moogle friend Stiltzkin!

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby iMURDAu » Thu Mar 02, 2017 10:03 pm

“This is going to become a bad meme,” Todd observed.
iMURDAu
TCS Chomper
TCS Chomper

Show rep
Title: King of Fuh

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri Mar 03, 2017 5:58 am

Okay so we have a big info dump this update. Pretty interesting stuff though

Honestly I kind of drag my feet around this part. It's my least favourite of Disc 1. The beginning does the stage setting and in Dali and the airship you really get to see your group binding and everything. After this part the story really starts to pick up. But Lindblum at first just kind of doesn't make me as excited about the rest and the Festival of the Hunt is always a source of stress for me.

BUT ANYWAY

Let's get some info, shall we?

Cid VIII was the regent before the current one. If you notice an image of the airship in my last update, it wasn't flying above the clouds but above very thick mist. That's why it's called the mist continent! So using it as a resource was something special.

ImageBeginner tip: Head to the aircab area. It won't let you leave the castle yet, but you'll get an extra little scene!

Before going to see the regent, we meet an airman.

Uh oh, what's going on here?!

Zidane doesn't care though and just starts flirting with her instead.

PRIORITIES

She quickly makes her escape and we head to the elevator where Dagger heaps praise on to the regent.

So we head upstairs but something seems amiss.

In case you can't tell, the throne is a little on the small side.

Also the regent seems to be an oglop (those bug things we saw before).

Steiner doesn't take well to this and punches him across the room, which I'm pretty sure is grounds for beheading.

For some reason though, no beheading is done and we are told that this IS, in fact, Regent Cid. Steiner, being Steiner, does not believe it and thinks that the Princess is being mocked.

Vivi with the best commentary.

And Regent Cid is positively identified by his moustache, which leads to Steiner backing off a bit.

But why is the regent an oglop?!?! you might be asking. WELL they're about to explain that!

After remarking how crazy that is, Dagger tries to get to the point of why she came to Lindblum. Cid urges them all to rest first after their journey and have some lunch.

Zidane decides that the castle food is not up to his absurd standards and heads to a bar in town instead.

After exchanging some familiar words with the bartender, indicating that he regularly patrons this establishment, he starts flirting with a waitress.

Apparently Zidane is ovulating or something because his flirting has been excessive lately. This also annoys someone at the bar.

Dose racial slurs tho D:

Thems fightin words.

Turns out that Zidane and the woman are actually friends and he takes this time to tease her a bit.

You get the idea. Eventually he drops the act and we get to name our next playable character!!!

I didn't know her race was actually Burmecian. I mean I know that that's where she's from but I didn't know that's what they were called. Better then rat-people, I guess? What about the Cleyrans, are they also considered Burmecians even though they are also rat-people but live somewhere also? I dunno, Steam FFIX has raised more questions for me. The graphics are excellent though, I can actually see details now, which is super nice.

ANYWAYS, Zidane and Freya sit down for a chat.

Aw :( They share that it's been 3 years since Zidane and Freya last saw each other and Zidane asks what brings her to Lindblum.

Ugh that festival. UGH TIME LIMITS. UGH.

So Zidane offers her some words of encouragement regarding finding her boyfriend and asks if she's going to return to Burmecia.

Meanwhile at the castle, Dagger and the regent are discussing the happenings.

Dagger says she's worried her mother is up to no good and starting to make trouble in the neighbourhood, but when she tries to tell anyone, they just chalk it up to grief over losing her father.

But as it turns out, the theater ship was going to kidnap her.

Turns out the regent and Baku go way back.

He states that while he knew something sketch was going on, he couldn't act directly or it would start a war.

He assures her that he will help as her Uncle Cid.

After that, they head for the airship docks, which are very much empty.

That means they could go to places where there was no mist. Dagger asks if the ship was taken by the man who attacked him.

..........................................................................................

(His wife is named Hilda)

And thus we get to hear the TRUE story of what exactly happened to Regent Cid and his airship.

Cid agrees that once the Hilda Garde 2 is up and running, they'll go speak to Queen Brahne.

The next day, Zidane and Vivi wake up at the Inn.

Zidane explains to Vivi that people come to Lindblum from all over the world to pursue careers in art and engineering. He also shares that he doesn't even remember when he first came to Lindblum.

He says he's going to go check out their HQ and invites Vivi along, who politely declines, saying he wants to go explore the city by himself.

Also Ruby gets in touch.

Stay tuned next time when we slaughter monsters that are released on the town for sport and points!

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Fri Mar 10, 2017 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Tue Mar 07, 2017 11:49 pm

Sorry guys, I've been busy with irl stuff, but I should have another update up on Thursday and Friday and hopefully one more after that before I leave for a bit~

octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby octoberpumpkin » Fri Mar 10, 2017 7:31 am

Today we will be exploring Lindblum before the festival begins!
Turns out SOMEONE is a terrible moogle hater

Anyways, Steiner is wandering around town, generally getting himself lost

Female Red Mage is having none of that! Being Steiner though he is rather oblivious to what just happened and turns his attention to a street stall.

FACT. Steiner decides, what the heck, he already drank poison back in the Evil Forest, might as well.

And thus begins Steiner's love affair with pickles~

Zidane, meanwhile, does some shopping.

Who indeed

This is why I told you to buy extra equipment if possible, because you can now use that for synthesis! Speaking of which, there's a little story between the synthesis shop owner and his son that goes throughout the game.

As the son's skills improve, so to does the available equipment. It's a neat little detail that help bring the people to life.

ImageBeginner tip: When you exit the Inn, there's a screen towards the south where you can have a bit more conversation. Also be sure to THOROUGHLY explore Lindblum within the next little while if you care about finding everything because some of it will become inaccessible for the rest of the game.

We get to read some nice statues, and learn more about Lindblum culture, which is broken down in 2 four districts. The first is the business district which is where you do your shopping and also houses the Church and an angry little dog. The industrial district is where the bar was where we met Freya and is the center of engineering. The theatre district is where all of the upper-class art types hang out and is also where Tantalus headquarters is located.

*sad violin*

So anyway, Vivi is also out doing some shopping

She gives it to Vivi for free because he's adorable and Vivi had earlier taken note of a sign in the shop.

He decides to inquire

This is where a miscommunication happens because Vivi runs off excitedly, assuming that puppies are going to be released in town for snuggles or something when that really isn't the case.

If you're wondering where Steiner is during all of this, the answer is "Still lost."

He does meet an old gentleman who tells him he's at the bridge where the airship docks connect to the castle.

The old man explains that the Hilda Garde 2 will run on steam instead of mist and Steiner finds this PREPOSTEROUS, which causes the old man to tell him he's living in the past.

We head to the theatre district where a bunch of fangirls are... fangirling all over an actor.

FFIX dealing with issues of transspeciesism way back in 2000.

After Zidane tries to get them to fangirl all over him, which fails, the prestigious Lowell arrives on the scene for like 10 seconds. After which time he bails and may or may not come back in a moogle costume to get away from the crowd

Sure enough, the disguise receives nothing but disdain from his unknowing fans, allowing him to escape.

SO ANYWAY

We head to Tantalus headquarters to find no one there.

As the bell rings out over Lindblum, Zidane wonders what Dagger is up to.

Dagger, it turns out, is trapped in her room.

She is upset by this, reminding herself that she came here to figure out what's happening with her mother, not to be protected.

Back at Tantalus HQ, two kids come in and greet Zidane

After establishing their de facto membership, they ask Zidane some questions about the kidnapping plan. Then, in typical kid fashion, they just blurt out whatever they want to.

The kids tell him that she probably misses him and he should go see her before they scamper off.

And now we see Zidane trying to find excuses to actually go and see her.

In case you were worried about Tantalus, rest assured that they managed to escape.

"I can't believe I got to drop some exposition!"

Despite its flaws, this is actually a good scene because it helps the player out later on when they arrive here. It shows Cinna drinking from a spring which makes the "HP restored" chime noise. It shows Blank open the treasure chest so you know why it's already open when you get there, and it talks about Cinna making coffee off in the corner, which if you recall, pertains to a certain sidequest...

Zidane heads to Lindblum castle to find the Princess is not in her room

Steiner is already there, apparently having found his way, and immediately blames Zidane for what's happening before running off to find her.

He hears her singing the same song she was singing in Dali and realizes she's upstairs. There's unfortunately a problem.

He can't use the lift to go upstairs because its guarded by the man with the face of a 12-year-old. Luckily for us there's a sleeping, suggestable guard whom we can wake up and trick.

So after beating him up and taking his clothes, we get to go upstairs.

Zidane takes off his disguise ON THE LIFT because why not, apparently? I mean sure, there are guards upstairs, but we can conveniently get past them without a disguise!

We do find Dagger upstairs singing to the birds before Zidane scares them all away.

After a bit of awkward conversation, Zidane points out the giant telescope we can use to look around the surrounding area.

This looks much better than the actual overworld, btw

Dagger asks to use it and spends that time berating herself internally.

She asks him if he just did it because his boss ordered him to, and he explains that his boss didn't want him to and he had to leave Tantalus because of it, which he shares that he's done before.

She changes the suject to ask how Tantalus was planning on kidnapping her and he says that they were going to put sleeping weed in her tea, but since she came along willingly, they didn't need it.

She calls him out on his shameless flirting, so he shifts gears to ask about the song she's been singing

While she sings, we get to see what everyone else is up to.

While admiring that FINE piece of armour, Steiner overhears another customer badmouthing Queen Brahne.

Vivi finds some toys that some kids were playing with.

And Freya is jumping from rooftop to rooftop, as you do.

She then expresses some vulnerability when she asks Sir Fratley where he is because she needs him.

Back at the castle, Zidane makes a fool of himself.

If you recall, he asked a different girl about that...

Smoooth operatoooorrrr~~

After some passive-aggressive comments, Zidane once again tries to recover with idiocy.

But because she's already smitten with him, she agrees.

FESTIVAL OF THE HUNT PREP

And Freya is here because why not. We got to name her so we already know she's going to be a party member.

Ugh time limits. UGH STRESS

Also he signed up Vivi without his permission

And offers him to date Dagger if Vivi wins which NEITHER OF THEM WANT and he didn't even ask if she was okay with this. Man Zidane's kind of a butt sometimes, huh?

And so the bests, some of whom are adorable (Mus) are released on to the town!

Next time we get to Festival of the Hunt which is bleh, but the story really starts to pick up with the bigger plot afterwards so that'll be fun!

Stay tuned~

Last edited by octoberpumpkin on Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
octoberpumpkin
Time Waster
Time Waster

Show rep

Postby Typical Michael » Fri Mar 10, 2017 10:32 am

I am totally getting a kick out of this. I appreciate the effort.

This is Dagger, my first cat:

This has been my ring-tone since I got a phone that supported ringtones. Scares the hell out of me every time:

"Typical... Michael... is a ddddddddddddddddddddashing individual!!! *BC punches self in face*" - ButtChocolate

"I'm like Batman, but instead of helping people I'm awful." - CleverDick

"In fairness, I was the one who brought up the goats." - JamesT
Typical Michael
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep
Title: ThingMaster

Next