Civilization VI

What are you playing. Hands out of your pockets!

Civilization VI

Postby RedBearded » Wed May 11, 2016 8:07 pm

Civ VI announcement trailer.

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/05/civilization-vi-launches-october-2016-with-a-cartoony-new-art-style/

a screen shot from the article.
Spoiler: show

Redbearded-Joined:Sun Apr 14, 2013 2:09 pm
God-Joined:Tue Apr 16, 2013 3:18 pm
RedBearded
TCS Guerilla

Show rep

Re: Civilization VI

Postby BROWNRECLUSE » Wed May 11, 2016 8:18 pm

Ghandi is ready.

Tesseracts wrote:In this age of falsehoods and lies, it's comforting to know some people are genuinely idiots.
BROWNRECLUSE
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Thu May 12, 2016 2:46 pm

I bought Civ IV on a Steam sale a year and a half ago and still haven't played it. At this point, I may buy Civ VI on a Steam sale a year and a half from now before that happens. Hell, I may buy Civ VII on Steam sale in four and a half years (when I am hopefully Dr. CMSellers) before that happens.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player

Postby Absentia » Thu May 12, 2016 7:01 pm

It's possible that I've played Civ V so much that I'm permanently burned out on it. None of the new stuff looks that impressive to me.

Absentia
TCS Moderator
TCS Moderator

Show rep

Postby Doodle Dee. Snickers » Thu May 12, 2016 10:58 pm

Absentia wrote:It's possible that I've played Civ V so much that I'm permanently burned out on it. None of the new stuff looks that impressive to me.

I don't think it's just you. I'm really not liking the graphics of this one.

Doodle Dee. Snickers
TCS Junkie
TCS Junkie

Show rep

Postby cmsellers » Wed Sep 06, 2017 6:07 pm

I realized that I wrote I bought "Civ IV" when I meant "Civ IV." I had Civ IV in high school, but my computer couldn't handle it so I had to use my little brother's computer, and then he started playing it and I never got to play it at all after that.

I've finally started Civ V. The learning curve is much shallower than EUIV, but it seems to be about as complex: much better peacetime mechanics, somewhat worse military mechanics, slightly worse diplomatic mechanics, and noticeably worse immersion. I also dislike that Civ V seems to have only one, all-purpose map mode. (And I'll note that EUIV's Paradox-sponsored wiki is much worse than Civ V's Wikia wiki, though the Civ V tutorial and help menu are better; Paradox basically outsourced information on the game to players.) I will probably get bored of it much quicker than I get bored with EUIV.

One thing that strikes me though: FreeCiv does or attempts some things that Civ V still hasn't implemented. And while I don't know whether Civ VI has these, it's striking to me that Civ V:

1. Doesn't have plagues
  2. Doesn't have immigration
  3. Doesn't let you queue production
  4. Doesn't have a macrobuilder
  5. Has fewer options for customization
This last issue may be a balance and/or AI problem; Paradox has talked about this in relation to EU4, the more options you have the harder it is to balance the game and train the AI around them. You see this in FreeCiv. The AI is designed around a smallpoxing strategy (building tons of small cities as close together as possible), and if you change the rules to undermine this strategy the AI goes from intimidating to pathetic. The first two might be similar issues: if a lot of players don't like them, it's hard to balance around options to leave them out, so you just get rid of them. I see no justification fro not having the QoL improvements I mention in a paid game, though, when FreeCiv has had them for years.

cmsellers
Back-End Admin
Back-End Admin

Show rep
Title: Broken Record Player